Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173353 - 12/31/12 03:36 AM packs and hammocks
steelguitars Offline

I recently started getting into hiking and primitive camping, i've always enjoyed car camping but only after losing 150 lbs. has real hiking become an enjoyable experience. I am now in the market for some gear. I've been getting by on borrowed gear and a wal mart tent thus far but now im wanting to stretch my hikes to over 10 miles a day.

I plan on spending 3 days out at a maximum, realistically most trips will be two days and I am curious about a good, reasonably priced pack and whether a hammock is preferable to a tent.

I had been borrowing a REI ridgeline 65, and I felt it was a little small, but it was stuffed with a ton of stuff i didn't use. Granted my clothes take up a ton of room because i am a 3xl. I was looking at some 35-40 litre packs and wondering if those could carry a hammock system, bottle of whiskey, change of clothes and a little food?

I had been carrying a tent, lawn chair and huge sleeping bag, but i recently purchased a smaller bag and figured a hammock could replace the chair.

i've never done any hammock camping but i've spent many nights sleeping in the dirt with a tarp so i figure it would be similar. any recommendations on brands or possibly even good light tents that would be better.

I live in Texas. Most camping and hiking will be done in temperatures above 50 degrees. And the only real big concern is boar in the piney woods.

Help me out.

#173354 - 12/31/12 06:21 AM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: steelguitars]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Welcome!

Realizing your pack carried a whole bunch of stuff you didn't use is the first step in lightening your load. As far as which pack to get, the conventional wisdom is to wait until your other gear list is "set" and then get the pack which carries that gear. I put set in quotes because for some this never happens as some are constantly changing their gear list. Sometimes due to changing preferences, other times because the trip requirements change the gear list. But anyway, I would recommend getting a little more settled with your other gear before shopping for the pack. If you need a pack to get by, try a used one. You can get great deals on almost new packs at a lot of backpacking forums. In fact, most of the packs I currently use were purchased used.

As to hammocks, I have been using a hammock exclusively for a few years now. While they aren't for everyone, most who use them say they provide the most comfortable sleep they ever experienced int he woods. Some even use them at home instead of their bed. The choice of hammocks is almost as diverse as choice in packs. You can get a cheap single layer hammock for about $20-30. The hammock doesn't excuse the need for insulation underneath you. If you have a pad, you can use that but it may not be wide enough for your shoulders in the hammock. The second problem is using one in the cheap single layer hammock, for some they are hard to keep in place. An option to try out hammocks is to make your own with a few yards of fabric. Doing this, you can even use double the fabric to make a "sleeve" to hold a pad in place. An easy way to make one can be found here: http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
Some like their DIY hammocks better than anything they could buy. some have even started cottage industries selling their own hammocks. If you end up with the hammock addiction (either just sleeping in them or making your own) their is a forum just for them too (hammockforums.net).

I hope I didn't ramble too much, again welcome to the forum. Happy hiking.

#173393 - 01/01/13 05:04 PM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: DTape]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
You may need a bigger pack. Hammock has a lot of things to go with it. You will need a tarp, some ropes, stakes, under quilt or pad, a bug net if you choose get it separately, and of course your sleeping bag or quilt. It a lot of moving parts to account for. I like camping in my hammock, but in the winter months I'll probably stick to a tent.

Popular hammock companies to purchase from:
Warbonnet
Wilderness Logics
Hennessy

You can also sew your own using ripstop nylon. The directions are located here: DIY hammock

Keep in mind you'll have to create a hammock for your body weight. A single layer 1.1oz ripstop nylon can hold 200 pounds. Warbonnet's website explains which hammock is right for you base on how much you weight.

Edited by ETSU Pride (01/01/13 05:05 PM)

#173398 - 01/01/13 08:31 PM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: ETSU Pride]
steelguitars Offline

A friend recently purchased a doublenest by Eagles Nest Outfitters, any experiences with those hammocks?

#173399 - 01/01/13 08:39 PM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: steelguitars]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I've laid in one, and me being short it was nice. They are just heavy. My complete hammock set up is 2.8 pounds. If you buy all Eno's product it 4 pounds, I think?

#173408 - 01/02/13 10:15 AM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: steelguitars]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Another hammock to take a look at is Clark. They're all-in-one systems with permanently attached bug netting and removable rain fly. I really like my Ultralight. http://www.junglehammock.com/

#173433 - 01/03/13 12:34 AM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check out the gear lists and other articles on the home page of this site, left-hand column. This will give you some idea of weights to aim for.

#173476 - 01/04/13 10:17 AM Re: packs and hammocks [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Hammocks are like shoes. If you get one that doesn't fit, you won't like it. Hammock forums really is the best place for hammock advice.

For pack size, that really depends on your other equipment. Your sleeping bag will be the main deciding factor. It takes up the majority of the room.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum