Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169580 - 09/19/12 04:11 PM Shoes/boots for rock hopping
Rozzy73 Offline

Sorry the the similar post to another user, but I have another question about footwear. For the last few years, I've been a fairly infrequent hiker, but I've done quite a bit of hiking this summer. I'm planning to take it to the next level and do some through hikes. I'm planning a Presidential's traverse for next year. I need to replace my old low quality mid-cut waterproof light boots for something of higher quality for more serious trips.

Once complication is that I have sensitive feet and I do my serious hiking in Vermont or New Hampshire. Lots and lots of rock hopping. After my last hike (the Mt. Lafayette loop in Franconia Notch), I was thinking that I need to move to a stiffer heavier shoe. I tried on the Asolo Fugitive. I loved the shoe, but they are $225 and perhaps a bit heavier then I would like.

The more I research, though, people seem to recommend hiking shoes or trail runners. I've never worn these kind of shoes, but I do lots of easier hikes, with some rock hopping, in my regular old new balance street running shoes. I feel like I need more support than that for bigger hikes and/or backbacking trips. In particular, I feel like I need the support on the decent.

Does anybody have similar issues? Thoughts are appreciated.

#169583 - 09/19/12 08:24 PM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: Rozzy73]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Shoes are so personal that everyone has an opinion on what works best for themselves, and that's all that really matters.

For me, I like a good lightweight mid-hiker. I've been wearing Merrell's for about ten years now, generally buy a pair every year to 18 months.

I look for comfort, flexibility, and traction in a shoe. A soft sole with smaller lugs are my preference. I don't do any "Rock Climbing", but I do a lot of climbing around on rocks, off trail hiking, and following dry creeks that are nothing but rocks.

My advice is to go to several stores and try on every shoe they have. Try on some Merrells and Keens because they are generally considered pretty comfortable. Go to several stores if you can and try them all on.

Don't pay any attention to style, brand name, or price when you do that. You're not buying them, you're researching what's out there. You can't do that online. All you can do is look at styles, and that doesn't mean a thing if you're feet are blistering up.

Be really picky about fit and comfort. Try on different sizes if one feels just a tiny bit off size. When you find a pair you really like, note the brand and size/model/style and move on to the next pair.

It's fun to try them on, but you are sure to find quite a few really expensive shoes you really don't like at all, and lots of cheap ones you really don't like. But you will also probably find some that you really do like, choose the pair you like best in your budget range and try on a few different pair of those in your size.

Modern lightweight hikers should feel the best when they are brand new and wear out from there. You should not need to "break them in".

That's about the best I can offer.

"You want to go where?"

#169589 - 09/19/12 11:42 PM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: Rozzy73]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I kind of keyed in on the sensitive feet. I don't know if that means blisters or they don't like it when you step on a pointed rock.

Personally, I use this Danner Combat boot. Forget everything you ever heard about old combat boots. These are very soft leather and comfortable right out of the box.

You mentioned you like a stiff sole. These are stiffer than hiking shoes, but not as inflexible as some of the wafflestomper hiking boots.

They are also waterproof. I often walk through streams instead of bothering with a log or stepping stones. They breath well as they are a desert boot, yet they are warm in the snow and don't get wet like a hiking shoe will.

These boots are also long wearing. I have over 400 miles on mine and they hardly show any wear on the soles. I do use Shoe Goo on the heels. The tops are in perfect condition with no broken threads.

They are heavier than a shoe. Size 11 1/2EE weighs 1 lb 15 oz per shoe. However, they don't feel heavy. In fact, they feel lighter than my Keen Voyagers. It's not all about weight. Mechanics makes a difference to.

I only mention these because of your sensitive feet and preference for a stiffer sole. If they don't work out, you could probably shovel snow in them for a long time.

#169592 - 09/20/12 02:13 AM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Whether trail runners (what I wear) or boots, the key for rocks is both stiffer soles (something called a "rock plate") and good padding. Unfortunately there's a lot of push these days to "barefoot" style shoes, and IMHO those should be avoided for really rocky territory. I've seen a number of photos of the northern part of the AT (as in New Hampshire) and some don't look any different from the talus slopes in the Rockies and Cascades!

#169593 - 09/20/12 05:23 AM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
My thought is that you should check out the category of "approach shoes." I find that suitable models here are becoming my do everything footgear. You are getting wise counsel in the preceding posts.

#169596 - 09/20/12 08:53 AM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: Rozzy73]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Rozzy73,

I went from light boots to trail shoes and had an awful time with my first pair. I actually had to bail on a trip up Marcy because of pain in the bottoms of my feet (much rock hopping).

Went to REI where I know and trust the boot guy and he quickly got me out a pair of Salomons. Comfortable out of the box, even barefoot, the soles grip well, and I've had no further problems. They are labeled "XA3DUltra2 Adventure Trail" if that's any help. Sole is much harder than what I had. Hope that helps, but remember that fit is a function of your particular foot and the last the mfgr uses. It's not just size. I got lucky. Best, jcp

#169677 - 09/22/12 06:44 PM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
You might try stepping on something like a marble under the ball of your foot when trying on boots. Put your weight on it, see if it pokes you through the sole, think about the rocks that you will be on and then decide whether the boot will protect your foot of not. Standing on a flat floor will not tell you how it will work on rock. Also a fact that you can have too much traction (on rock) and it can throw you down so those deep treads on real mountaineering boots may not be the best for all rock. Oh and traditional advice would be to get a boot with a narrow welt and to learn about what "edge means" in a climbing boot. Hint - trail runners don't have any - edge.
Jim

#169678 - 09/22/12 07:06 PM Re: Shoes/boots for rock hopping [Re: Rozzy73]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I use the green Superfeet insoles. They are expensive ($40) but I can put them in light hikers or even tennis shoes and they offer enough stiffness that my feet do not hurt. I just did a long trip (39 days) with LOTS of rock hopping and never had a problem with my low-cut Merrel hikers and superfeet insoles.

It is more important that the sole of your shoe be "sticky". An approach shoe has true sticky rubber - good for sticking but they wear out quickly. My Merrels have Vibrum soles with an aggressive tread - they work well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum