Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168167 - 08/02/12 06:36 PM Brand New Backpacker
Taralei G Offline

Loc: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Hi! My name is Taralei, I'm 21, and I'm very glad I found this forum. I am very new to backpacking... as in, really, I'm just starting making sure that I'm really ready and fit to actually do this.

I'm thinking my first big hike, once I'm ready, will be the Appalachian Trail, since I live very close to it currently. Truthfully, I don't know what I'm doing. I would love to find someone near me who would like to maybe be a backpacking partner, who knows at least a bit more about this than I do. That would be great. I live in Murfreesboro, TN, which is the Nashville area. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for stores for purchasing gear, especially if they know of any in my area? I've heard sometimes the big chains aren't always the best place to go, especially when you don't know what you're doing. But, maybe that's not the case...?

If anyone has any sort of advice for somebody just starting out, I'd love to hear (read?) it! Thank you! smile

Taralei

#168178 - 08/03/12 08:22 AM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Taralei,

Welcome to the board and welcome to backpacking.

There is an REI in Brentwood which is about 31 miles from you. I'd suggest you purchase their lifetime membership for $20. Then you will get notification of sales in your email. It also has a lifetime liberal return policy and you don't have to save your receipts.

If you can walk, you are fit enough. Just don't plan distances that are too long.

I'd suggest getting a school book bag, some rain gear and clothes you will need for the weather you expect and start taking some short hikes. If you stay within about 2 miles of the trailhead, it's hard to get in much trouble on popular trails. I feel it's important to get some experience before buying gear.

Have fun out there. You are fortunate to live near a long trail.

#168183 - 08/03/12 12:41 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome!

Have you discovered the articles and gear lists on the home page of this site, left-hand column? They will be very helpful. Don't just go into a store (REI or other) and let them outfit you. You'll end up with a lot of gear you don't need, a pack you can hardly lift, much less carry for a long distance, and a maxed-out credit card! Instead, start out with borrowed, rented or used gear until you have had some practice and can do your research.

I second Gershon's suggestion to start with day hikes. Be sure you always take the "Ten" Essentials. You never know when you might hit bad weather or be stuck out overnight.

The best way to start learning backpacking skills is either in your own (or a friend's) back yard or at a nearby state park or other public campground. That way you can practice using your gear (such as setting up and taking down your tent until you can do it easily without the instructions, even in the dark on a rainy, windy night) and can easily bail out (indoors or to your car) if everything goes wrong. Then graduate to 1-night trips a few miles from the trailhead (again so you can bail out in case of disaster). Do at least some of these trips in bad weather so you can learn skills for staying dry and warm in inclement weather.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/03/12 12:43 PM)

#168190 - 08/03/12 04:04 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
Taralei G Offline

Loc: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Gershon and OregonMouse -

Thank you for responding! I will definitely be taking your advice.

I am very excited to get started. I've been reading "Backpacking: A Woman's Guide" by Adrienne Hall. I think it will be a big help, too.

My dad works in Franklin, which is right by Brentwood, so I asked him if he knew where the REI was. He said he didn't, but he'd ask his coworkers.

Also, I will definitely be checking out the articles and gear lists on this site. smile

Thanks again!

Taralei

#168209 - 08/04/12 08:27 AM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
It's just up the street from the Methodist church, I believe. (Of course that would be how I find things, lol!)

If you're on I-65, take the Old Hickory Blvd exit (ETA: head west), then turn left onto Franklin Rd. It should be on your right. The church is ahead; if you get to it, you've gone too far.

Edited by Barefoot Friar (08/04/12 08:28 AM)

#168283 - 08/06/12 01:10 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
REI rents gear, which is a really good option if you have never done any backpacking before. (There is also an online company that rents gear). You might want to find out if you like doing this before you drop real money on the sport.

I would suggest putting together a pretty thorough gear list and get feed back on it before you start buying things.

#168322 - 08/07/12 09:59 AM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: BZH]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I live near Knoxville and hike all over the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and I'm started to explore Western North Carolina. Welcome to the site.

Edit: I forgot, I graduated from ETSU this past May, and my roommates one year are from Murfreesboro. Small world, huh?

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/07/12 10:04 AM)

#168345 - 08/08/12 09:53 AM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: BZH]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By BZH
REI rents gear, which is a really good option if you have never done any backpacking before. (There is also an online company that rents gear). You might want to find out if you like doing this before you drop real money on the sport.

I would suggest putting together a pretty thorough gear list and get feed back on it before you start buying things.

Renting gear is probably one of the best pieces of advice. A few things can happen that will turn most people off of backpacking. You were either cold at night, wet and cold, or the pack was very uncomfortable. To overcome these, and see why the rest of us like the activity, you have to have a light and warm sleeping bag, a comfortable sleeping mat (or other means to sleep well), a dry,bug free place to sleep, and a comfortable pack that doesn't weigh too much. This generally cost a lot of money. By renting, you forgo having to make such a huge investment, yet get to use the high end gear and see if you like it at all. Just something to think about.

#168355 - 08/08/12 10:40 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: finallyME]
lori Offline

Renting will give you gear that works and is durable. REI rentals are REI branded packs, bags and pads, and while I'm not sure what stoves they are renting, they will be something that stands up to the use of many and not the lightest out there.

But, not what I would call high end. However, it will get you an idea of what you really want, without spending $1,500 on gear before you understand what you don't know about backpacking.

You can check out lowergear.com as well for rental gear. You can rent Wild Ideas Bearikade bear canisters by mail from their website very easily, for not a lot of cash, if you need a bear canister and want to try the lightest (for the volume) canister on the market.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168361 - 08/09/12 12:21 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I don't think renting works well in all areas. I called REI in Colorado Springs. They don't rent sleeping bags. The only pack they rent is a huge 85 liters. The only tent they rent is a 3 person tent.

I checked online. For 3 days, it would cost $132. That's a bit much for me when I can put together hiking/car camping gear that would work for about the same price.

#168362 - 08/09/12 12:48 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Gershon]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have to agree, although I have often directed newbies to rent a backpack, yes, the ones they rent are often big and heavy, but when packed light, they will still do the job in place of buying a backpack before you have a good idea of the volume and weight of gear you'll be comfortable with.

Now having said that, I have enough extra *stuff* lying around that I often just outfit them from my extra gear.

I have also had very good luck at thrift stores, second hand sports stores, and wal-mart - you just have to not have very high expectations and understand the limitations of what you may get.
Browse my pictures

#168371 - 08/09/12 07:27 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
What sequence did we follow when we took up ackpacking? It probably didn't start with purchase of really slick expensive high end gear.

For me, a fairly bereft college student, it began innocently enough with day hiking. My first "pack" was a surplus gas mask bag just big enough to carry my lunch. Gradually my hikes became long and more challenging and the gear changed. I do remember borrowing items (especially snowshoes) from time to time and trying things out. A Kelty framepack was way too expensive ($35!!)until I tried one out. When I got out of the Army and returned to school I knew enough to buy a Gerry down bag ($100) and that highly desirable Kelty. A little experience will enable you to make vastly more informed choices.

Try small trips and ease into the pastime gradually. There are lots of tips on this forum for inexpensive alternatives. I had been backpacking for over five years before I ever bought a tent - went with tarps most of the time, cooked on open fires, and bought most of the food in grocery stores. When you do spend money, concentrate on the three B's - boots, backpack, and bag (sleeping).

#168611 - 08/20/12 09:34 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Others have suggested renting gear when you get started. If you are a college student (or have friends who are) see if there is an outdoor club. Often times college clubs have *very* reasonable rental prices.

The recommendation of reading through the articles on this site is good. I wrote up a intro to light weight backpacking for some friends. You might find it useful.

--Mark

#168621 - 08/20/12 10:56 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: verber]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Mark, I haven't read everything yet, but that's a wonderful write-up! I'll recommend that along with your gear website.

Taralei, Mark (verber) has a great website with encyclopedic information about various gear items. It's too much to absorb for one reading but is a fantastic reference source. There are links to low-budget gear lists, too. The link Mark listed in the post above this one has links to his gear site.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/20/12 11:31 PM)

#168854 - 08/29/12 01:21 PM Re: Brand New Backpacker [Re: Taralei G]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think a good approach is to start with little but good lightweight gear and only add gear as you determine what you need from your own backyard or car camping test trips where more gear is available if you need it.

Here is my minimal gear list. I generally backpack in WV wilderness areas, and these are similar to your area. You could start with this list, and try it out in the backyard or while camping near the car in a campground. There's just no substitute for trying things yourself to determinine what *you* need. You could buy everything on the list new for around $600.

You'd almost certainly want to add:
insect repellent
jacket
warmer sleeping bag (30F men's bag is a 40-45F women's bag)
bug netting for tarp, or maybe a light tent
water filter or Katadyn tablets for water treatment
gas canister stove, unless you can rely on cooking over a fire
larger compass

Check out packs from companies like:
Mountain Laurel Designs
Gossamer Gear
ULA

Check return policies, but ordering 2-3 packs you might like and then returning the ones you don't is a good strategy.

Marmot bags have a good price/quality/weight balance. Down is great, but you might want to go with synthetic until you're confident in keeping it dry, and also because of the humidity in your location. If you go with a synthetic bag, you'll likely need a slightly larger pack.

Edited by ohiohiker (08/29/12 01:26 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum