Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167287 - 06/26/12 05:10 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Kestrel]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Kestrel

What I still need
Water treatment system – I really need some suggestions here

I use a Steripen in the Sierra's and like it, but in the UP where river water tends to be a bit brown from the cedar, I think a filter would be a good idea. People around here really seem to like the Sawyer gravity feed filters. My buddies use an MSR... quite a bit heavier but very nice.

Stuff sack for bear bag – I don’t own any stuff sacks, I’ve just always used ziplocks before

You can pick them up at most any outdoor shop. There are some cottage manufacturers making them out of sil-nylon of cuban. But it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for (exotic and expensive).

Rope for hanging bear bag

If you are bringing rope to hang your bear bag, I doubt you need "general rope" in your other list.

Map

http://store.usgs.gov

Long sleeved shirt for sun protection (any suggestions?)

Many people report having luck finding these at goodwill type stores. Your looking for lightweight synthetic shirts.

Potty trowel (suggestions?)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=47684

Old sock for bear bag?

How big are your feet? You have to fit all of your food and anything that has a smell to it (sunscreen, lipbalm...)

Rain pants? How crucial are these, and if they are, anyone have some cheap sources?

I don't use them. Driducks are supposed to be decent quality, cheap and lightweight.

Gloves?

Pot cozy?
Use your wool hat mentioned above.

Fire starter?
Bring a lighter. You can dip matches in wax as a back-up (or bring 2 lighters)

#167290 - 06/26/12 05:49 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Leave the long underwear at home. In those temperatures, you will not need them. Same for gloves...

And your folded fleece is your pillow. Add a towel for more thickness.

A 65l pack? We use a 50l pack for eight days. Why so big? Smaller is lighter, and lighter is better!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#167294 - 06/26/12 06:51 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: balzaccom]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I assume you mean "cord" for hanging food, not rope. I use 3mm nylon cord - you can get it by the foot at REI or Sport Chalet. You want the cord to be thin enough that a bear cannot actually grab it, but strong enough that your food does not fall down. Learn to "counter-balance" hang the food, far above the bear's reach and out from the trunk of the tree enough that a bear cannot climb the tree and reach the food. I think properly hanging food is a real PAIN. I use bear-proof food containers - Bearikade and Ursack (where it is legal).

I take two cotton handkercheifs - no towel. The handkerchiefs also double for first aid duty.

#167296 - 06/26/12 07:07 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: wandering_daisy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Not knowing the actual brand of some of your gear, it is hard to say. Sandels- I use $10 "crock" knockoffs that weigh 8 oz total. Not sure of your local ethics - but if I want to dip into the water I just go naked. No extra underware needed - just go without when you are washing it. Lands End stuff is a bit heavy. For the high Sierra where it freezes every night, I only take: Marmot Precip jacket (12 oz), Montbell down sweater (4 oz), medium weight Isis wool undershirt (8 oz), one zip 100-wt fleece top (6 oz), long sleeve hiking shirt (7 oz) and if mosquito season I add a 3-oz undershirt for more mosquito protection. If I had a "buz-off" hiking shirt I would not do this. Bottoms- nylon hiking pants (12 oz), microfleece Arcterex Rho long johns (5 oz) (taken more so I can sleep in something clean so my sleeping bag does not get dirty). Three pair wool socks, only 2 if a short trip. 2-oz fleece stocking hat - add a 2-oz balaclava if I expect really cold. I have some cheap Walmart fleece gloves that I cut out the finger tips to make fingerless gloves - 2 oz. Baseball cap for hiking. Mosquito head net. Underpants that I wear, no extras. Oh, be sure to get underpants that have NO side seams. The more expensive ones that are smooth-no seam are much better. It amazes me what little seam it takes to hurt once you get your backpack waist belt tightened. And get high quality underware - nothing worse than dealing with "wedgies" while hiking. You could probably get by with one less insulating layer than I take, since it is warmer where you hike.

#167302 - 06/26/12 11:34 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Kestrel]
lori Offline

I would modify thus:

a trash compactor bag (unscented) to line the pack with
A second trash bag to make a rain skirt - when the forecast is favorable and the trip isn't excessively long, I don't bother with rain pants. The trash bag is a multi use item. If the pant legs of zipoff pants get wet and don't dry before bed, you can zip them off.

blow up the spare platypus or fill with water, it's a pillow. Wrap it in a spare clothing item.

If you are not going where the ground is very hard, the trowel can be left behind - use a stick, rock or tent stake. I favor granite flakes for digging where there are lots of roots.

I found synthetic bikini panties at Costco. ex officio synthetics have cotton crotch panels and are a good hybrid of the two. Have yet to try wool but have heard they are comfy.

Not sure why you need a cutting board. It is lighter and simpler to adopt a boil water / dehydrated meal method of food prep. Use a spoon to dish stuff out before you start eating, no need for serving utensils.

A couple of those Ziploc plastic containers will be lighter than the GSI stuff. If it's not going to get below freezing while you're cooking, insulation isn't really needed for the drinking/eating vessels. A pot cozy will help if you are rehydrating in the pot, otherwise a ziploc cozy is nice to have - rehydrating in the bag is less mess to clean up.

Lighting fires is an important skill, but firesteels take practice. A few bic lighters and some matches in a waterproof container will work. Firestarting material can be as simple as cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly, stuffed in a small cylinder. I like lichen off cedar trees if I can find it - that stuff burns better than dryer lint.

Gloves are needed, even if only glove liners for warmth - for longer trips some weatherproof gloves are important.

If you are sensitive to sun, a big dorky hat will help. I don't do baseball caps for that reason. I have a Sunday Afternoon hat that provides good coverage, and always wear sunglasses especially above treeline.

One bandanna.

A gravity filter works great when you have lots of deeper water sources. In areas where I am forced to choose between shallow and scummy, and trickling and scummy, a pump filter with a good prefilter wrapped in a coffee filter is the ticket. I like a gravity filter because you can get the filter bag to act like a backcountry shower, with a little extra cord to hang it higher in a tree.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#167309 - 06/27/12 08:03 AM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: lori]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
As for cooking gear/arrangements, I agree with Lori, freezer bag cooking is a great time and space/weight saver. Even if you decide to still do some more in depth cooking I would reccomend trying some FBC meals. It's quicker, lighter and no cleanup!

#167319 - 06/27/12 11:29 AM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Cranman]
balzaccom Offline

Cutting board? We use one of those thin plastic sheets, cut down to size. And it's for the salami and cheese we eat for lunch!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#167322 - 06/27/12 12:46 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: balzaccom]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Cutting board? We use one of those thin plastic sheets, cut down to size. And it's for the salami and cheese we eat for lunch!

plastic sheet? Carry something to cut on? bah.. the bottom of my pot if I must, more usually a log, rock, anything else.

Browse my pictures

#167326 - 06/27/12 01:40 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Kestrel]
phat Offline

Pristine two bottle drops. Chlorine dioxide- light, fast, effective - this is what I use.

Quote:

cheap 10 dollar long sleeve synthetic running shirt from old navy.

Quote:

Dig a hole with a stick you pick up, or your trekking pole. the ancient art of hole digging was practiced by man long before the advent of "potty trowels" and is easily re-aquired wink

Quote:

Rain pants? How crucial are these, and if they are, anyone have some cheap sources?

That *really* depends on you. Personally, outside of winter, I never take them, even in rainy weather, as I find them uncomfortable and "sweating in a bag". I hike in quick drying synthetic pants, and while hiking, I do not have a problem. Stopping in camp, I normally can hide and warm up in long undies and my bag in my shelter, and if the weather is really lousy and I must be sitting outside, I have a very lightweight silnylon poncho (an integral dynamics silponcho) that I will either rig as a tarp and sit under, or wear as a poncho which then protects my legs enough.

Now having said that, I arrived at that conclusion after a number of trips taking them and not using them. So ymmv. You can often find cheap pairs at a thrift store, or, if you don't care that they get wrecked easy and it's for sitting around camp, the really cheap "temporary rainsuit" ones that are little more than a garbage bag (or a garbage bag rainskirt) can also work.

Quote:

Gloves?

Yes - I take ragg wool gloves, and save the weight of the pot lifter - I pick up my hot pot with wool gloves.

Quote:

Pot cozy?

I take this - I make this out of reflectix or blue foam, sized to my pot and held togehter with duct tape.

Quote:

Fire starter?

I take a tea light (or two). also useful as a light source and emergency backup heat source.

Quote:

Mirror?

I don't take this.

Quote:

Pillow – something I really can’t sleep without – anyone have any suggestions?

Large ziploc with extra clothing around it, filled up with air and sealed, or extra platypus, filled with air and a shirt around it, or your backpack... etc. etc.. I most commonly use a platypus - I normally take two, only use one while walking (and only with about a litre in it at a time, but my spare then gets filled with "camp water" in the evening for cooking and tea, then dumped out and inflated at night for my pillow.

If I for whatever reason want to keep water in it at night, I use a ziploc.

Quote:

I also may bring my REI Flash 18 pack if we plan on doing some base camping.

Empty your regular pack, and carry it with very little in it, instead of carrying *another* pack.

Browse my pictures

#167327 - 06/27/12 01:55 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Kestrel]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN

So, I’m pretty certain I’m missing some things, those are listed below.

What I still need
Stuff sack for bear bag – I don’t own any stuff sacks, I’ve just always used ziplocks before
Rope for hanging bear bag
Map
Old sock for bear bag?
Gloves?
Pot cozy?
Fire starter?
Mirror?
Pillow – something I really can’t sleep without – anyone have any suggestions?

I also may bring my REI Flash 18 pack if we plan on doing some base camping.

For water treatment, maybe you two could split a Sawyers Squeeze system? It about 49.99 and weights 3oz and comes with three pouches. (if you do get this, I'd just take one pouch with me.)

As other said with a pillow, I put my spare clothes in a stuff sack. A lot of times I change clothes to sleep or wear nothing at all. (Love my Mountain Hardwear bag! lol) So, what I do is, take my rain gears, extra clothes or my Marmot jacket and put them in my stuff sack and sleep on it as a pillow. If it too hard, I let some air out of stuff sack and that would soften it. I've never had neck pain or anything doing this. It can take a few adjustments with stuff sack and clothes placement to get it to feel just right.

Do you really need a mirror?!?

For fire starter, you could take a bunch of cotton balls and coat them in Vaseline then stuff them in a pill bottle. Once you light it start putting dry kindles on it, then slowly build it up!

Columbia usually sell UV protection long sleeves for about 20-30 bucks on sale somewhere on the internet.

Oh yeah, I bought my rain pants to match my jacket at Bass Pro Shop, the pants cost $20 and it a BPS brand. It works.

Edited by ETSU Pride (06/27/12 02:03 PM)

#167330 - 06/27/12 02:58 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I think the rain pants are a personal decision. I know personally I'm saving up for or will make a rain skirt. I made one out of poncho earlier this year but the material was too light and every wind gust I was Marilyn Monroe. I got very wet and much colder than I thought - and I was wearing wool and fast drying synthetics! So my vote is for a properly made rain skirt and gaiters.

Edited by Heather-ak (06/27/12 02:58 PM)
Edit Reason: fixed odd wording

#167332 - 06/27/12 03:28 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

I take a signal mirror. If you understand what it's for, you know why it's important. Lost people who see the chopper and can't get them to notice them, or can't get their voice to carry to the hiker they see across the canyon, would have benefitted from having one.

#167333 - 06/27/12 03:33 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Heather-ak]
lori Offline

A contractor bag and duct tape works great, unless it is extremely windy.

Marmot precip pants are a good compromise - light but waterproof. Driducks are lighter, but flimsy.

#167335 - 06/27/12 03:44 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I, too, am a signal mirror fan. The weight of the smaller ones is miniscule, or I can use the mirror on my compass....

#167340 - 06/27/12 04:27 PM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
I, too, am a signal mirror fan. The weight of the smaller ones is miniscule, or I can use the mirror on my compass....

which is why I don't take a dedicated one, I have any number of shiny mirror like surfaces that will flash, everything from the space blanket liner under my hammock, to my compass mirror, to the glass on my phone (which is my ereader, which I take to read books on at night).

Browse my pictures

#167363 - 06/28/12 12:10 AM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: phat]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By balzaccom

plastic sheet? Carry something to cut on? bah.. the bottom of my pot if I must, more usually a log, rock, anything else.

WE take only one knife. And it doesn't stay sharp enough to clean fish if we use a rock as a cutting board. And I've learned that using your thigh as a cutting board has certain limitations...

The sheet we use is about 1/32 of an inch thick...very flexible...and snugs up against the curved wall of the bear canister. I can't get a weight for it on our scale...under one ounce.

#167368 - 06/28/12 12:34 AM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

I catch and clean trout a lot - never thought about a cutting board.

Maybe if I also filleted them? Don't need to do that tho. Wrapping them in foil and laying them on the coals after cleaning is about the extent of it.

#167371 - 06/28/12 01:20 AM Re: Beginning Packing List Help [Re: Kestrel]
phat Offline

A few more random comments from the peanut gallery..

2 gallon ziplocks to pack clothes in

there's yer pillow!

Quote:

2L blacklite pot from MSR + potholder + stuffsack + washcloth that protects pot from being scratched by potholder

On the rare occasions my pot is dirty enough to warrant it because it has done more than boil water - I scrub it out with sand/rocks. I don't care about it getting scratched - this is why I don't like "non-stick" coatings - and my pots
don't have them

Quote:

GSI ‘gourmet’ bowl/mug combos X2 – these are the triangular shaped ones. I know this probably isn’t strictly necessary as we could eat out of the pot, but if my BF and I eat out of the same bowl, I’ll get shortchanged with food!

Take 'em back and buy two of the disposable ziploc "bowls" at your local grocery store - lighter and have a lid - work great for this.

Quote:

Serving/cooking utensil– swivel spatula from GSI

A stick.. your spoons? I certainly don't take anything other than a spoon and small pocket knife

Quote:

Matches
Lighter (should I think about getting one of those firesteel things?)

No - take an extra lighter..

Quote:

GSI scraper

Leave at home unless you're planning on cooking something crazy.. if just fbc and quick cook stuff you won't need it
I never take such a thing, but see above comment about rocks and sand wink

Quote:

3L platypus big zip (perhaps overkill as I plan on hiking in Michigan mostly, but I get bad headaches when I’m in the sun too long and drinking loads of water really helps)
1L platypus plusbottle (just in case my hydration bladder decides to leak)

I actually carry a 2 and 3l - I hardly ever (unless I know I'm going to be a long time from water) ever put more than a litre and a half in one of them that I am carrying during the day.. I fill them up (and may use as a pillow) in camp when cooking tho.

Quote:

First aid kit – includes loads of aspirin and aspirin equivalents for the aforementioned headaches as well as bandaids, antibacterial cream, a couple butterfly bandaid thingies, a gauze roll, an ace bandage, Benadryl and my preferred (24hr) allergy medication, anti-itch cream and moleskin.

consider some iodine/betadine, and some 4x4 gauze pads, with some good tape. (I carry those, even in a very small kit. They get used) skip the gauze roll - if you need a bandage take a knife to a shirt. I don't take the ace bandage, but I know some people swear by it. An (unscented un-perfumed, etc.) plain old maxi-pad is a fantastic nasty wound dressing, and may be worth having in there.

Quote:

It’s homemade and just in a plastic bag currently.

So is mine. and has been for many years wink

Quote:

A couple bandanas

I would ask why on earth you would ever need two, but a very creative use of two was recently posted by a long time forum member... do you need these when also carrying a buff?

Quote:

Set of extra batteries (should I just change them right before going on the trail?)

I don't take extra batteries - I have a very small coin cell LED backup light. lighter than extra batteries.

Quote:

Duct tape (wrapped around a piece of cardboard)

mine is wrapped around my trekking pole.

Quote:

Some cotton string/twine

I don't take this - what for? - I do take some small bits of utility cord. (the kind that can make a tarp tie-out)

Quote:

Deck of cards

If you're already bringing a keyboard for an e-reader/phone - can this be used in place of the deck of cards? I stopped carrying these when I carried the e-reader. I also don't spend a lot of time "in camp sitting around" - so depends on your trip.

Quote:

Wet Ones Package (20 or so wipes)

I take two a day, to clean my bum, and my hands, after number 2
Quote:

Hand sanitizer

If I take wet ones, I don't take this - I use a bit of extra stove alcohol for this purpose.

Quote:

Deva cup (seriously, if you have not tried a menstrual cup, you really, really should)
Panty liners (enough for 2 a day if during that time of month (menstrual cups can leak a bit), or one a day so I don’t always have to use toilet paper)

and since you're new, I'll give you a reminder about the above - treat it all (new and used) like *FOOD* with respect to animal avoidance - bears, raccons, critters all love to get into this stuff. you won't want to clean up the mess they'll make in your tent over it.
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum