Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166275 - 05/29/12 06:35 PM Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures
PapaBear Offline

Loc: Iowa
Hi all-

I am heading up to Superior National Forest to hike the Superior Hiking Trail in August. I used to go the Boundary Waters a lot when I was younger and in boy scouts. We used to just hang a stuff sack with our food in it (this was almost 20 years ago BTW). Which worked fine until I went on a trip in which my buddy and I lost our food to a well educated Yogi. These days I've traded my paddle for a back pack, and I am looking at preventing this from ever happening again- it was a LONG padddle back to the truck that time. Two days with nothing but a granola bar to eat:-(. What are you guys using now to keep the bears from stealing the groceries???

#166277 - 05/29/12 07:11 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We are using what the National Park Service requires in Yosemite and other national parks in California; a certified bear canister. We use the Bearvault, and like it because it is clear, so we can find things a bit easier. The park service rents Garcia bear canisters as a part of their wilderness permitting process. And there are others that work as well...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#166291 - 05/30/12 03:09 AM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: balzaccom]
PapaBear Offline

Loc: Iowa
I have seen them in REI/Campmor and wondered how effective they are. In 15-20 trips to the BWCA, I've seen a few of their tactics. Most of the time, having 9 of us in camp was enough of a deterrent. The last time, it was just two of us. In August, it will be just me (and my .357mag for backup if making a ruckus, and tossing rocks, and bear mace fail, lol). How well does the container fit in your pack though? I have an internal frame pack.

#166298 - 05/30/12 10:07 AM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
lori Offline

If they weren't effective, Yosemite would have you carrying something else.

I prefer the Bare Boxer for short overnight trips. Smaller, cheaper and lighter than anything else on the market.

Bear Vaults have been opened by bears in Kings Canyon (a few times) and at Marcy Dam (by Yellow Yellow) in the Adirondacks. The other cans available have different latches and have yet to be breached.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166304 - 05/30/12 01:54 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
On my external frame backpack, I have to put the canister on top of the bag. It does fit in my internal frame backpack.

#166320 - 05/30/12 11:09 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
First of all, welcome to the site. I hope you have a great trip.

Scaring off a bear is a really bad idea. If it's not naturally scared by your presence, it's best just to quietly back away from it. Some say soothing talk calms the bear. Don't stare at it and don't run. If a bear is happy eating my food, I'm happy, too. It takes a long time to starve to death.

People here are from a lot of different areas. Bears have different habits in different parts of the country. The best source of informaton is the ranger at Superior National Forest. Here is their number: (218) 626-4300

I couldn't find any mention of bears on their site.

#166334 - 05/31/12 01:59 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
Tarzan71 Offline

I just recently got back from Sequoia national/ kings canyon (my first backpacking trip) and we ended up renting bear canisters from the permitting office. They were $5 for the trip each and the way you open it is with the edge of a quarter or something similar. Most nights we ended up putting the bear canisters in the bear boxes except one night. The only down side to not putting them in a bear box is that if a bear does get a hold of it (assuming they don’t get in to it) you have to go find your food in the morning in general area you hid it. I’ve been told to help with finding it, just in case that does happen, is put a florescent color tape on it.

#166336 - 05/31/12 02:30 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: Tarzan71]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm not sure that 'bear boxes' are a thing outside of California. Up here in Oregon, f'rinstance, genuinely bearproof garbage recepticles can be found here and there, but 'bear boxes' for camp food seem to be nowhere that I know of (except maybe at Crater Lake NP, but I haven't camped there for a long time). In the back country they do not exist.

#166347 - 05/31/12 09:14 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
On the other hand, to the best of my knowledge nowhere in Oregon are canisters required. They are required in much of Olympic NP (campsites where there are no bear wires and everywhere on the coast). North Cascades NP was going to require them but has put the decision off for another year.

There are bear boxes in a couple of the front-country car campgrounds in Wyoming's Wind Rivers. Green River Lakes has had problems, when someone left their cooler on the picnic table and a grizzly bear showed up.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/31/12 09:16 PM)

#166349 - 05/31/12 09:31 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: PapaBear]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Bears often steal food at night and do it really fast. The gun is only useful if you catch the bear in the act. Unless you plan on being awake all night, I would use a bear-proof method in areas where there are known bear problems. What you use depends on how "habituated" the local bears have become. In order of least bear-proof to best bear-proof:

1) dogs. Some horsepackers swear that dogs keep bears from coming into camp.

2) all-night fire. Some people swear by this.

3) regular hanging - tie off to a tree. Must be high enough so bear cannot reach. Bears figure this out quite quickly. The only thing you are really accomplishing is giving yourself a bit of time to try to get the bear to run off.

4) Counter-balance hanging. This requires hanging the food bag high (about 10-12 feet) and far enough from the trunk of a tree so the bear cannot climb the tree and reach it and on a branch that is not sturdy enough for the bear to climb out on it. There is not tie line to another tree - two bags are balanced. You can read how to do this on many internet sites. Sierra bears in some locations have got this alrady figured out. The biggest probelm I have with this method is simply finding an adeaquate tree. It is also a pain to set up and time consuming.

5) Non-approved bear-proof containers. There are lots of bear proof containers out there that are not "certified", the Ursack being one. In many areas these non-approved containers work fine.

6) Electric fencing. Useful for large groups. All the batteries and fencing are about 5 pounds. Everyone puts their food bags in a pile and the fence is set up around the pile. Probably does not work if bears are really habituated. Used by organized groups in parts of Wyoming.

7) Certified bear-proof containers. Each area has its own regulating organization. Containers certified for Sierra black bears are not necessarily certified for Montana grizzlies. There are also certified bear-proof paniers that outfitters have to use in areas where required. These hold more food and may be useful if you are canoeing or packing a horse. They are too heavy for backpacking.

8) Hefty bear boxes - big THICK steel boxes at established campgrounds.

The only time my bear cannister (Bearikade) saved us from having a bear steal our food was in an area where it is NOT required. The bear kicked it around camp. People about a mile from us had all their food taken. Use your own common sense and judgement regarding when to use a bear cannister. Just not being "required" does not necessariy mean that they are not NEEDED!

#166355 - 05/31/12 11:01 PM Re: Bear Proof Containers/Black Bear Countermeasures [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
This is a good article from REI on places were bear cannisters are required.

In other areas, the Ursack might be a good idea. It weighs just under 8 ounces. According to their website they seem to be pretty effective.

It's not just bears we have to worry about. Other critters eat food, too.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum