Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165335 - 04/25/12 06:25 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Wow, that's all looking pretty good.

The control row (w/nothing) in on the right, right?

My onions and peas did pretty lousy last year, always have, so I'll be watching that for sure.

Thanks for the update!

"You want to go where?"

#165339 - 04/25/12 08:09 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: billstephenson]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
left to right
control - azomite - ecomin - sea90

Edited by PerryMK (04/25/12 08:09 PM)

#165708 - 05/07/12 05:27 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
PerryMK Online   content

I picked my first cucumber today. It came from the ecomin section but could just as easily come from the azomite. The control and sea90 will be ready soon. This weekend I will likely be giving cukes away.

Overall, the ecomin and azomite section are clearly ahead in terms of growth, followed by the sea90 with the control in last place, but still growing.

#165716 - 05/07/12 11:46 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Hmm, I'm surprised, I didn't think you'd see much difference at all. I'll have to look at getting some now and trying it out too wink

I wonder if the differences in the products would produce different results in different soils and locations. I suspect they might, but since our soil has almost nothing in it but clay and sand and rock, any amendments could help I suppose.

"You want to go where?"

#165741 - 05/08/12 08:58 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: billstephenson]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Personally I am jealous that he's picking cukes already... (It was a balmy 38F this morning)

#165841 - 05/12/12 01:00 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: Heather-ak]
PerryMK Online   content

I've eaten a couple of cucumbers from the azomite and ecomin sections and one from the control. The sea90 should have one ready in the next day or so. I imagine I'll bring a couple of cucumbers to my 80 year old neighbor tomorrow.

I picked a few cayenne peppers (azomite) and more are on the way (azomite, ecomin). I should see peas (azomite, ecomin) soon also, and saw one green tomato (azomite).

All sections are doing OK, but the azomite and ecomin and clearly ahead.

#166176 - 05/25/12 03:47 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
PerryMK Online   content

The tomatoes are wilting with the first few hot days (90s+) so I put up some shade screen. It's kind of hard to see in the photo. Hopefully it will help.

I've been picking one or two cucumbers per day for the past week or two. The ecomin section is far away the leader but other sections are producing also. I picked one pea pod today but it wasn't quite ready yet. Hopefully the heat won't kill them. Plenty of green tomatoes on the vine. I've picked a few cayenne and will probably get some more this weekend.

C=control, A=azomite, E=ecomin, S=sea90

#166181 - 05/25/12 08:33 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Wow, I really am impressed. I can see a pretty remarkable difference now, and the ecomin row really stands out. I'm going to have to get some now, no doubt about it.

I made some cages for my tomatoes today. Got quite a few green tomatoes, but last year they all got devoured by bugs. This year I planted a few Marigolds in between them and I haven't seen many bugs yet, but it's still early for them. I'm going to cut them back this year too, they were growing like mad last year and just went crazy on me.

"You want to go where?"

#166214 - 05/27/12 03:34 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: billstephenson]
Heather-ak Offline

Based on your results (and thinking different soil needs different things), I think I will try your test in the Summer '14. We are moving so I'd like at least one year "raw" for comparison. Now granted I will have almost exclusively raised beds (they warm up faster) and the rule is replace at least a 1/3 of the soil with new mix. Add on top of that that every summer I've been here has been different weather wise - drastically different!

I am really enjoying watching your experiment!

#166297 - 05/30/12 09:29 AM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: Heather-ak]
PerryMK Online   content

I think one of the nicest raised bed gardens I ever saw was at a place called Five Mile. It's on the Dalton Highway about 5 miles north of the Yukon River. They also had great tuna salad sandwiches. Surprisingly, no salmon sandwiches.

If you do a control section there is no need to wait with the experiment. I think the more people that do the experiment, the more valid the conclusions we can reach. Different soils, different plants, different conditions all the way around. Could the better results be the result of a better plant and not the soil amendment? Maybe the lesser results were a result of the plant being the runt of the litter. That's where the repeat experiments will prove most useful.

Right now, I don't think it make much difference which amendment is used, although it seems that amending is better than not amending. Ecomin seems to be great for cucumbers but sea90 has the best looking tomato plant so far. I still can't wrap my head around applying salt, even sea salt (sea90), to my garden on a regular basis.

#166311 - 05/30/12 03:59 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

You bring up some great points there. In my garden I planted four tomatoes from a flat of transplants. Some of those are doing better than others, and the two that grew from seed that fell last year are actually doing the best. Hard to say what they are because there could have been some cross pollination going on there.

Same with my cukes. I planted about 4 varieties from seed this year and each seed has grown at their own rate, some way bigger than others, and they are all planted very close together.

I still have to get my pics posted blush

"You want to go where?"

#166313 - 05/30/12 06:15 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
Heather-ak Offline

Duh - I'd just need one or more beds in similar areas (shade etc.) as the control(s). Donno what I was thinking. Hopefully I'll have time to cut trees and build garden boxes in the garden area this fall - oh and build a moose fence.

Last time I went up the Dalton that place was closed - but it was a bad fire year (as in one spot we stopped at we watched the fire crawl through the tundra right at the side of the road!)

The most beautiful drive I've done up here was Top of the World highway on the way to Dawson city over Labor day weekend a couple years ago.

#168055 - 07/29/12 07:50 PM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: Heather-ak]
PerryMK Online   content

The cucmbers have all dried up from the heat and the tomatoes aren't far behind. I also picked peas, picked an onion today and have more on the way, and have picked cayenne and Caribbean hot peppers.

(I am previewing this an the formattig just isn't working)
Tomato Control Azomite Ecomin Sea90
May 0 0 0 0
June 1 6 3 3
July 0 0 0 3

Total C=1, A=6, E=3, S=6

Cucumber Control, Azomite, Ecomin, Sea90
May 6 6 15 4
June 6 10 11 5
July 0 1 1 3

Total C=12, A=17, E=27, S=12

Wow, I don't really get all that much for my efforts! Still, I enjoy it.

I also put in a rain barrel with downspout diverter to collect rainwater for the potted tomato on the porch. I think future years for tomatoes I will stick to potted tomatoes on the porch as the heat seems to affect them less there. Might be the shade. I will use the garden space for peppers and onions and may try other stuff.

Edited by PerryMK (07/29/12 07:50 PM)

#168061 - 07/30/12 10:33 AM Re: Soil remineralization [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Well that's really interesting Perry. You've certainly convinced me that the amendments do work, and I need some in my garden too!

I guess that a mix of them might be best, at least that'd be worth a try too. I didn't really put much at all on my garden this year except some chicken and donkey manure and lime.

My cukes did awful this year, rabbits and crows got most of them, but bad as it was I did a lot better than most others here. My tomatoes are coming in now. I only planted 4 cherry tomatoes and one of some kind of heritage seed that produces a purplish fruit that's really tasty, but not the variety wasn't very productive. The cherry tomatoes are producing great, but the heat has been splitting them just about the time they start to ripen.

I'm looking forward to planting a fall garden soon. July has been so hot and dry that the garden has struggled all through it. The Farmer's Almanac says it's supposed to cool down and wet up this next month. August has been pretty cool the past couple years, so we'll see. I hope they're right...

I really want to thank you for keeping us posted on the progress and results of your experiment. It's been fun keeping up on it and I've learned a lot too, so, Thank You!!

"You want to go where?"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum