Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164091 - 03/17/12 08:38 PM If anyone cares...
Hawke Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Here's some pics on my new Lightheart Gear Solo cuben tent (with the silnylon floor). This is the version without the awning, and only one door.

Weight on my scale 28 oz, or 796g. Requires 2 trekking poles to set up.

Tent

Edited by Hawke (03/17/12 08:38 PM)

#164094 - 03/17/12 08:49 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
Very nice, simple setup. Are you spending the night outside in there tonight?

That custom Tyvek is very cool and efficient!

Doug

#164099 - 03/17/12 11:42 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I have a Lightheart Solo cuben upper, silnylon floor, though I do have the (first generation) awning.

Mine weighs a smidge under 22 oz (690g), and that includes 6 stakes. So I don't see how you get to 28 oz ?? Perhaps you're including a ground cloth? Or did you get a "so-long" variant, or ... ?

#164107 - 03/18/12 09:06 AM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: BrianLe]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Nice looking tent and 4 oz lighter than my hammock. I would have to pitch Hammock on the ground ,above treeline out there. I prefer not to sleep on the ground but may have to sometime if I get back to the high country.

#164120 - 03/18/12 03:42 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Kent W]
Hawke Offline

Am hopefully gonna sleep in it either tonight or tomorrow night. It's supposed to get low 30's tonight, so it might be interesting to test my setup when I have my nice warm house nearby. LOL

I dunno why the weight would be so much different. That does include the ridgepole, and it *could* be with the stuff sack, but more than likely it's my crappy scale. I'm seam sealing it while it's up, I'll re-weigh after I take it down and see if I get similar results. Ground cloth I weighed separately (5.1 oz).

So far though, I'm really impressed. I think it's gonna be killer for what I'm using it for.

*EDIT* My bad!! This is NOT the cuben tent. It's the regular solo. *facepalm* Sorry, dunno what I was thinking. I was in the middle of working 36 hrs when I posted this. lol

Edited by Hawke (03/18/12 03:48 PM)

#164133 - 03/18/12 08:42 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Best time to test is at home or car camping at a local state park. That is what my son and i did last year when new to Hammocks.

#164149 - 03/19/12 12:03 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
It's a sweeeet looking tent, that's for sure. I have not been able to bring myself to cough up for one.

#164256 - 03/21/12 10:30 AM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: skcreidc]
Hawke Offline

Well, I slept outside last night. Or, more accurately, I slept outside for part of the night last night. About 1 it dropped down to 28 & I chickened out. I could have made the night if I'd had one more layer for my legs/feet, I think. Good to know before I get in the backcountry! The tent performed great. This was the first still night we'd had in several, so that was nice.

#164266 - 03/21/12 12:44 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
That's pretty cool.

Edit: I've never heard of this brand before and went to their website, they got a sweet looking design. I like how one picture it looks like you can set up rain fly to give yourself a view during a rain storm. Be real cool when sleeping on a mountain with a great view..Assume it really keeps water out when setup like that. If it raining side way it might be a problem like that. lol.

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/21/12 12:50 PM)

#164289 - 03/21/12 06:27 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check to see if a more insulated sleeping pad will help.

#164309 - 03/22/12 07:47 AM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: OregonMouse]
Hawke Offline

I'm already in a Zpacks 20deg bag on a NeoAir All Season on a 3/8 CCF, OM. I don't think I can get much more insulated there. It wasn't the "down below" that was getting me. Part of it I think was that I scootched down the length of the tent until the top of my bag over my feet was touching the tent wall, and sucking out heat. I also only had thin socks on. Thick wool socks & maybe something light to layer over my R1's would have done the trick, I think.

Etsu: I dunno if you could have one side of it open during rain or not. I would guess if the rain was coming the right direction, or you had some shelter overhead like trees, you could. The other really cool thing about it is that it's easy to change your open side quickly, such as if the wind or rain shifts directions.

Edited by Hawke (03/22/12 07:47 AM)

#164408 - 03/24/12 05:09 PM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: Hawke]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I dunno if you could have one side of it open during rain or not. I would guess if the rain was coming the right direction, or you had some shelter overhead like trees, you could."

I've used the awning feature a number of times on mine. Certainly if you have wind-blown rain you would want it in normal (not awning) configuration. But if wind isn't much of a factor or just light rain and dewfall are the issue, it can be nice to leave the awning up.

One really nice feature of this tent in particular is that you can completely roll up one or both sides of the fly to turn it into essentially a bug tent. Not as warm that way if that's a factor, but nice to have this capability.

#164420 - 03/25/12 07:39 AM Re: If anyone cares... [Re: BrianLe]
Hawke Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe

One really nice feature of this tent in particular is that you can completely roll up one or both sides of the fly to turn it into essentially a bug tent. Not as warm that way if that's a factor, but nice to have this capability.

This was one of the reasons I chose this tent. The summer nights here are nice, but the mosquitos will carry you away! I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy sleeping under the starts without the bugs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum