Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163693 - 03/11/12 12:27 PM new to backpacking need some advice
flagrl Offline

I am going to get into backpacking very soon. I am looking into the things I will need for short trips I porbably wont be taking anything longer than a 3 day hike for a long time. but what would I need besides backpack, tent, sleeping bag, first aid kit, and gps and clothes? and any tips will be apperciated. I will be getting some books this week also

#163694 - 03/11/12 01:04 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: flagrl]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
It was written for Scouters and Scouts, but my paper should be useful to any newbie wanting to start lightweight backpacking. If you're going alone, I'd take a little bit more than I recommend until you know how to use your gear in various conditions. Just remember that people pack their fears and fear is heavy. smile

#163701 - 03/11/12 01:56 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: flagrl]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have only skimmed Topshot's article, but it looks pretty good. I notice you place GPS as a top priority. The most important piece of navigation equipment you will need is a map and the ability to interpret it properly. GPS is not fool proof, and can give problems. Be sure you have the Ten Essentials covered - this applies to any hike, of any length. Especially, be sure you have the means to light a fire and the skill to do so; that you have a shelter and the skill to deploy it;that you include a first aid kit and the training and skill to use it.

Your knowledge and skills are far more important that the gear you will carry. Some of that can be acquired through reading and a bit of judicious experimentation and practice. If possible, find someone or a group with expertise, hang out with them, and learn.

Start with shorter trips and gradually extend; it makes sense to spend your first night literally in your backyard. I will still do that with a piece of new gear.

#163706 - 03/11/12 02:57 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You've left out food and some way to cook it...

If you want, check out our website, which has a list of our equipment for a similar trip. Remember that we are backpacking the Sierra in California in summer, and we take different things if we go at different times or to different locations!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#163726 - 03/11/12 07:15 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: balzaccom]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There are plenty of gear lists on various websites and in books on camping and hiking. What you will want to bring will vary by location and weather. The most important thing to understand, in my opinion, is why you need something, not what it is by brand, cost or weight.

Why do you need a GPS? If the answer is "so I don't get lost" you have made a big mistake already. As a beginner, you shouldn't be hiking anywhere where you could get lost. A GPS is not infallible and is no substitute for basic navigation skills or judgment about weather. A map of the area where you are hiking, a compass to orient that map, and the basic knowledge of how to use them are all you should need until you develop the skills for hiking in the back country.

#163729 - 03/11/12 07:52 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: flagrl]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Get thee to the library post haste and read Colin Fletcher's book, The Complete Walker. Edition IV is the latest, but any of the editions will be very helpful to you. St. Colin has helped me wrap my brain around what I need to carry and why. Once you figure out kind of what you want, then you can start looking for the actual equipment, asking questions on here about features, etc.

But start with Mr. Fletcher.

#163734 - 03/11/12 08:12 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: Barefoot Friar]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
A much shorter and more updated book to read would be the just released one from Andrew Skurka. He actually wanted to write an update to Fletcher's book. It's gotten good reviews.

#163735 - 03/11/12 08:17 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: topshot]
flagrl Offline

ok thank you guys I will look at both books and take have pulled up the website I appreciate all the advice
and I am going to get maps and hold off on GPS probably cause I will be staying on or real close to the trails to start with

Edited by flagrl (03/11/12 08:27 PM)

#163737 - 03/11/12 08:48 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'll second that - at least for understanding the spirit and pleasure that backpacking can bring you. TCW also does a good job explaining the principles behind gear selection; just keep in mind that most of the examples illustrating it assume trips in the western mountains and deserts.

I'd also recommend Andrew Skurka's new book, if you're interested in keeping things as light as possible. It's a good read, and dead accurate, just not as spirited as TCW.

#163738 - 03/11/12 08:49 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: flagrl]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
It would help us recommend specific combinations of gear if we knew where you will be walking, and what season(s).

#163778 - 03/12/12 02:33 PM Re: new to backpacking need some advice [Re: flagrl]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Go to the home page of this site and read the articles listed in the left-hand column.

It really would help to know where and when you plan to backpack! The gear lists in the articles shown above were for the Cascade Range in the Pacific Northwest, but you'll need to adjust for the conditions where you'll be going.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/12/12 02:35 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum