Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163453 - 03/07/12 07:36 PM First trip, critique my list
awesomeame Offline

Hey, so it's been about 20yrs since I've done any backpacking. I'm planning on going at the end of April, only about a 4km hike from the road, and only one night.

Please don't laugh, I want to do something short first, just to figure out what I forgot or what I don't need to bring with me.

Plus the GF will be going with me. She's petite and thin, but not particularly fit. I'm an avid 10-15km/day-hiker, but I'm unsure how far she can go, and I'm determined that she's going to come away from this with positive feelings...I don't want to push her limits until I know what sort of a hiker she turns out to be.

Anyways, here's my list of stuff I'm planning to bring along. Any additional things I should or shouldn't be bringing? I'm open to constructive criticism smile

We will only be out there for supper/breaky/lunch, so for meals I was just planning on bringing frozen beef along for day #2. No need to dehydrate for this trip IMO.

Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Pillow
Compression bag
Nylon straps to hold sleep pad to knapsack

Tent/fly
Groundsheet
Parachute rope
Baby Axe
Compression bag

Large pot w/lid
Small stove w/2 bottles fuel
Lighters x3
Matches, water/wind proof
2 spoons, 1 fork
2 stackable mugs
Water purification tabs
Water filter
2 Nalgene water bottle
Strainer for coffee
Small pot
Bowls for eating, x2, stackable

Cotton balls in Vaseline
Film containers for cotton balls
2x Toilette paper
1 TBSP Baking soda to brush teeth
Toothbrush
Knapsack
Knife/multi-tool
Various Bandaids
Headlamp
Backup mag-lite
8x Extra AA batteries
Camera
Binoculars
Medication
2 bells
2 whistles
2 lanyards for whistles

2x Socks
1x Long underwear
1x Shirt
1x Pant
Rain gear
Touque

Tea bags in ziploc
Coffee grinds in ziploc
3 20oz ground Beef, frozen
4 Eggs
Egg holder
3 cups Rice, dry
Small bag Marshmallows
Booze, 26’r
1/8 cup olive oil
Container for olive oil
Soft sided cooler for beef/can hang from tree
Salt/pepper/spices
Small containers for salt/pepper/spices
Spatula
Dish/hand soap
Container for dish/hand soap

If it fits:

Rittersport chocolate bar
Hot chocolate mix

She needs to bring:

Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Toiletries
Clothes/Rain Gear

Thx!

Edited by awesomeame (03/07/12 07:37 PM)

#163455 - 03/07/12 08:16 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
First, please tell us where you plan to go? It makes a difference in what you bring.

You are heavy on "gear" and light on clothing (unless you are doing a very warm area).

I would eliminate:
pillow
groundsheet
axe
only take one pot- either large or small but not both
forks - not needed
Why 2 bottles fuel? I take one bottle fuel for a week!
only one headlamp needed - forget extra batteries for an overnight not needed
Why bell and whistle? I just take light whistle

Where is first aid kit?

Another idea- if it is just overnight, why not just take deli sandwiches and some non-cook breakfast? I do understand coffee. So just bring enough stove and fuel to warm some water for drinks.

You do not need second pair of pants, but two layers for upper body is what I consider minimum. If getting down to freezing, then three layers.

My husband and I only take one medium pot with lid, 2 cups, and we snuggle togther and eat out of the same pot - nice and cozy!

I also take a small 2-ft square of the blue foam (you can get this at Walmart) for a sit-pad. Generally you do not want to take any inflatable sleeping pad outside the tent and sit on it.

Nalgene bottles are heavy. I just use old 1-qt vinager jars. Lots of people go lighter and just use old bottled water jars. However a 2.5-liter Platypus is handy so you do not have to run to the creek for water all the time.

Not sure what you mean by "knapsack". Is this your backpack? For an overnight you do not need a day-pack.

Two pair socks needed - one to wear and a dry spare for night.

You said nothing about hats- hats are important- need something to protect you from sun when walking, and a fleece hat to keep your head warm at night.

Probably can do with gloves for an overnight if it is warm.

GF probably wants to take one bandana. Nice to be able to wipe your fingers. We women like to stay somewhat clean.

And consider a map. Maybe this is a well marked trail you have been on before, but if not take a map. If really woodsy, add a compass. Or GPS if you have that.

Sunscreen and lip balm needed.

#163456 - 03/07/12 08:18 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: wandering_daisy]
wandering_daisy Offline

Oh - just saw all your "dishwashing stuff". NOT needed. Forget spatula. Why a spatula if you are not cooking anything in a frying pan. You do not need a separate pot just to wash dishes in. Just rinse dishes with some warm water and wipe with a small square of TP - do not really need soap either.

#163457 - 03/07/12 08:25 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
lori Offline

I had to smile at the thought of the two of you gnawing away at a chunk of frozen beef. I know you probably intend to thaw it first...

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are doing a lot of thinking and taking it easy starting out, which is great - much easier for both of you that way.

What you're not listing is the weights of the things you are bringing. If you haven't already visit the home page of this website (backpacking.net) and look at the gear list in the left column, and compare it to yours.

Here is what I would leave out of the list you have:
Originally Posted By awesomeame

Pillow
Compression bag
Nylon straps to hold sleep pad to knapsack
Baby Axe
Compression bag
1 bottle fuel
1 fork
2 stackable mugs
Strainer for coffee
Small pot or large pot
Bowls for eating, x2, stackable
2x Toilette paper
2 bells
Small containers for salt/pepper/spices
Spatula
Dish/hand soap
Container for dish/hand soap

I am guessing the bells are bear bells, which are worthless. Talking to each other or singing suffices. If you are going to an area where bears are an issue to people (not food) take bear spray. If you are going to an area where bears are an issue for food storage (not to people) store food per the regulations of that wilderness area, whether bear canister or by hanging. If you have never hung a bear bag before... practice at home some, it's not so easy to do it correctly. Or cheat and take a canister, which is a heavy option but much easier to manage.

Gather sticks you can break with your hands and make a fire that way. Or don't make a fire. You should have adequate insulation in your clothing sack to stay warm in the conditions you will be in - I don't see warm layers, just the long underwear, and you should have gloves and some sort of jacket for warmth in there. I know fires are ambiance - I enjoy them with groups I hike with - but we won't take saws or axes and manage fine.

If your sleeping pad is inflatable, it should probably be inside the pack for protection.

For an overnight short trip, you won't need two fuel bottles.

I would reconsider the food - you don't have to take dehydrated, true, but you also don't have to take food that heavy, either. Recreate your favorite pasta dish and use couscous, or, get a Lipton packet to make; pick up a packet of tuna (7 oz for two people) to throw in with the pasta, and wala, easy dinner for two. Get a couple different pasta dishes and you have two dinners, or dinner and a lunch. Check out trailcooking.com for about a zillion ideas for easier, lighter, and less bulky options for meals that are also tasty.

Toilet paper - take a couple wads off a roll in ziplock bags, one per person. Don't need rolls, just enough for a couple of catholes.

Pick one pot. Take light plastic cups if it's not going to be cold enough for an insulated mug - or drink out of the nalgenes, rinse 'em, refill them for drinking water the next day.

Washing dishes with dish soap... naw, rinse and disperse the water far far from the water source. I use sand if any scrubbing is needed. A tiny bottle of hand sanitizer, or a couple of individual wet wipes, for hand cleaning.

Snatch some salt and pepper packets from some restaurant... or season the food before you take it. For coffee, check out Starbucks via - no grounds or coffee maker needed.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#163461 - 03/07/12 08:52 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Maybe I missed this, but she might appreciate something to dig the cat holes with; some sort of light trowel. I know my wife makes sure we bring ours.

I think the girls have the rest of it covered...

Although...just an idea. If there is abundant wood, bring a grill and cook two steaks over the coals. All you need is one of the forks. You can cook everything else over the coals in pots as well. Clean the pots using sand and water. Use a long fire pit and get a good bed of coals going. When you have enough, move them over to the cooking area (up wind). You don't bring the stove and fuel then (old skool).

#163462 - 03/07/12 09:00 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
The axe and second fuel bottle seems unnecessary, without knowing more about why you want them. Also, I don't think you'll need 3 lighters, especially since you're also bringing matches. The extra Maglite may be overkill (unless you want a light for each of you), and 8 spare batteries for one night seems like 4-6 too many (just make sure there are fresh ones in the lights before you leave home.) Will two of you really eat almost 4 pounds of ground beef? (3x20=60 oz.)

Like others said, it would help a bit to know when and where. Also, you said this was a trip to help figure out what you really need, which may account for what I feel is excess. Whatever you end up taking, do this when you get home:

Take everything out of your pack, and put it in one of three piles:

1. Things you actually used.
2. Things you didn't use, but fall into the "essentials" category (rain gear, first aid kit, backup fire starter).
3. Things you didn't use, and aren't essential.

Don't take anything in the third pile when you go out the next time.

#163465 - 03/07/12 09:39 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You are getting great advice here...and I agree with pretty much all of it. But I DO understand taking the frozen ground beef and the spatula: you want to make hamburgers. The meat will de-frost while you are on the trail, and by the time you make camp it will be ready to cook.

But 20 oz is a lot of beef!

I agree that it would be simpler to take something (meat) that you can cook without a pan and a spatula...thus reducing your weight a bit. But if there are bears in the area and you are concerned about them, I can't think of a better way to attract them than by cooking meat over a fire for fifteen minutes or more...grin

There'a gear list on our website, if you are interested in a comparison.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#163471 - 03/08/12 12:44 AM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: balzaccom]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I guess the axe is light a campfire and the stove is to make breakfast and hot drinks. You won't need a lot of fuel if you cook dinner over a fire. Cooking over a campfire requires some kind of "grate". If you rely on setting your pan on top of rocks you will end up pouring your dinner on the fire. For hamburgers and many items you can purchase a wire basket that you hold over the fire with the food in it. They are great for cooking fish over a hot fire because they are easy to adjust.
Jim

#163472 - 03/08/12 08:36 AM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: Jimshaw]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
It sounds like you have enough to have a safe trip. Go and enjoy yourself. After the first trip, you can start changing things a little at a time.

(You can cook a steak right on the coals if you don't mind brushing off a few ashes. Wrap a potato in foil and bury it in the coals for about 45 minutes and you can have steak and baked potato.)

#163476 - 03/08/12 09:47 AM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By awesomeame

Pillow
Baby Axe
2 bottles fuel
Lighters x3
Small pot
Backup mag-lite
8x Extra AA batteries
1x Pant

Use extra clothing in a stuff sack for a pillow.
Even a small axe is relatively heavy - there should plenty of wood laying around to gather for a fire.
One bottle of fuel (as long as there's enough in it) will be plenty.
Since you're carrying matches, three lighters is two too many.
One cooking pot is all you need.
Put a fresh set of batteries in the headlamp, carry one extra set, leave the rest of the batteries and the maglite at home.
I don't carry an extra pair of pants for anything less than 4 days.

Of course you could shave alot more weight by altering your menu. But I understand sacrificing some weight to eat well if you're only going overnight, and especially since you're taking the GF.

#163484 - 03/08/12 11:52 AM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Quote:

I don't carry an extra pair of pants period, and we take trips of a week or longer.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#163487 - 03/08/12 12:09 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Quote:

I don't carry an extra pair of pants period, and we take trips of a week or longer.

In winter I'll bring fleece pants to put on over the base layer at night, in addition to the shell pants I wear during the day.

Otherwise I wear a pair of zipoff nylon pants. If it's going to be a cold 3 season trip, I might put in the rain pants for warmth.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#163506 - 03/08/12 03:20 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: lori]
awesomeame Offline

Thanks for the input everyone! Very very helpful all of you! I'll adjust the list a bit!

Matt

#163509 - 03/08/12 03:24 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
awesomeame Offline

So what else would you put in a first aid kit besides various bandaids?

Matt

#163512 - 03/08/12 03:48 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Matt
he's what I carry (for first aid) based on what I have needed and found useful over a life time.

.2 ounce Clear Eyes - eye drops - if you need these and don't have them, your trip is destroyed.
Ear plugs
tylenol
plastic toothpick
tooth brush and paste maybe
tiny vial liquid soap for washing a wound
small roll of climbers finger tape
tiny sunscreen
tweezers
chap stick
2nd skin moist burn pad
foil package of neosporin, poly sporin might be better
insect DEET
2 cotton tipped swabs

I carried a suture kit for about 20 years - never opened it.
Jim

#163519 - 03/08/12 04:53 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
wandering_daisy Offline

I decided to think more of this from your girlfriend's perspective. A few thoughts.

I use the dry foaming cleansing pads - take one per day, and cut that in half. They weigh nothing. I use one half in the morning to wash my hands and face after breakfast, and one at night to clean up. Just be sure that you use them well away from water. They make a few suds, but not much and work well in cold water as well as warm water. They work much better in cold water than soap, smell nicer, and you do not feel "soapy" after using them/ Once the suds are used, the remaining cloth is pretty good for wiping out pots and pans. There are many brands, I use the Walmart generics. Although experienced backpackers usually do not do this, if your GF wants to bring a clean undershirt, just make sure she brings one of those really light ones - about 3 oz. If this makes her feel better, then let it be. With more experience she will learn to wash clothes and only take one hiking shirt. I take a tiny purse-size brush. Often the wind tangles my hair (it is long) so that a brush is a lot more useful than a comb (ouch!). As far as deoderant, etc. You do not NEED this stuff, but most women do not give up on these until they get more experienced and realize they are useless. Just get the tiny "travel size" ones. You probably will want sunglasses. Do not put your GF in big old heavy boots. I always see outdoor shop sales people (and most women) assume they need "ankle support". You don't. Trail runners sized large enough to fit heavy wool socks are all you need if you stay on trails. Invest in good socks - such as SmartWool. If there are going to be thick mosquitoes, gnats, flies, invest in head nets. Otherwise, have sufficient bug dope to keep bugs off you. As much as I have been out, too many biting bugs still are the number one source of misery. I even stay home at peak mosquito season.

There is a trend in some women's outdoor clothing to sacrafice function for fashion. Really think about being out in bugs, or having a backpack hip-belt, using drop-waist pants that leave your belly exposed. Same with cropped pants. I prefer genuine hiking pants with zip-off legs. Also, skin tight pants will make walking a lot harder. There are some nice looking functional backpack clothes to choose from. Just avoid the trendy fashion items.

#163520 - 03/08/12 05:09 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I like Jim's list, but I have more stuff in mine. I won't repeat what's on his.

I generally bring a little raw honey. I like it better than neosporin type stuff.

I bring a couple needles and thread, and a plastic thimble (Used em once to sew up a tear in a cheap pack wink

2 Wound Closure kits I got from an EMT*

Antihistamine*

Aspirin and Advil

Duct Tape

Imodium*

Lip Balm

Temporary Dental Filling*

Various Bandaids

Those with a "*" I've never personally used, but I still carry them.

"You want to go where?"

#163523 - 03/08/12 05:23 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: wandering_daisy]
HikerChick Offline

Loc: CA
Looks like Wandering Daisy beat me to it. Dang! Good tip...I'm going to have to look for those dry foaming cleansing pads. A few items that might make it more comfortable would be sunscreen and a hat. You might want to take another look at your food too as others have suggested. 3 cups of rice is a lot for 2 people on an over nighter. You have the right idea of making it a short and sweet trip for the first time out for your girlfriend. I took my guy out for his first trip on a 3-day trip and let him pick the destination. It was only 5 miles from the highway and we could hear the trucks. Too close to civilization for me, but I figured I had a better chance of getting him to go again if we went someplace he wanted to explore. It worked!

#163555 - 03/08/12 10:30 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: billstephenson]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I am a broken record on this (repeating and repeating). What you carry in your first aid kit should e commensurate with your training. A trained first aider with no gear is more effective than an untrained first aider with any equipment you can name. I am not necessarily saying you must spend a lot of time and money in course work, although something like the Red Cross First Aid classes is worthwhile, but at least do some serious study. A lot has to do with what you don't do, as well as what you do. For fans of multiple use, much of the gear can be improvised from items you are carrying anyway.

#163600 - 03/09/12 02:25 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Hey awesomeme, there was a posting sometime within the past year where a guy said that he was taking his girlfriend camping for the first time and did anyone have any suggestions. Man, he got swamped with good ideas (there were also many accusations of gender stereotyping, but THAT'S another story). Maybe someone here will recall the link or know what you can search under in order to find the posting.

#163608 - 03/09/12 05:01 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: HikerChick]
awesomeame Offline

what the heck is a dry foaming cleansing pad?

Matt

#163614 - 03/09/12 05:47 PM Re: First trip, critique my list [Re: awesomeame]
wandering_daisy Offline

You find them in the makeup and face cream section of a store. They are primarily used to remove makeup. I like them because they are so light and you can elimiate messy soap and still stay clean. I am not fond of slathering on sunscreen everyday on my face without washing off the residue at night. I also backpack in bear country and like to get the dinner's smells of my face and hands (I do the cooking so hands get greasy). It may be a "girly" thing- my husband has no desire to wash his face other than a splash of cold water. But then he has a beard.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum