Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162301 - 02/16/12 11:05 AM Trekking Poles
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
I have never used trekking poles. From a lot of the stuff I have read, it seems like a large number of people are using them, even ultralight or lightweight backpackers. Am I really missing out? What are your opinions?

#162303 - 02/16/12 11:23 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: palameto]
lori Offline

I don't leave home without them. I use them for search and rescue as well. They have saved my life on steep slopes you can't just walk up, on rough rocky trail, and on slippery hard pack snow.

Also, they do save the joints - you just have to realize the benefit is not immediate - it's cumulative over the miles. I use them in flat wide trail as well to help propel me along.

I've used them to reach things, poke things, push things (like the rattlesnake I stepped on) off the trail, and they are my shelter poles when I take my tarptent. They make a fine splint when needed. Can also make a travois out of two poles and a jacket.

I have some Easton aluminum poles with really solid locking mechanisms for SAR and some Gossamer Gear Lightreks for three season backpacking. While i have on occasion gone without poles, I always regret it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#162305 - 02/16/12 12:03 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'd second everything Lori said, though I've fortunately never needed to make a splint or travois. (Come to think of it, I did lean more heavily on them one day when I twisted an ankle and limped back to the car.)

I have used them as tarp poles, though I currently use a tent that has its own poles. (It's not freestanding, and I have used the hiking poles to make it mostly freestanding on occasion.)

I began, back around the time fire was invented, using a single long hiking staff, but switched to paired poles about 15 years ago. I find that I prefer the pair, for no particularly striking reason.

Mine are carbon fiber (MSR Overland Carbon), and I've had no problems with them.

I'd say to generally avoid the discount-store poles (like you find at Target or Wally World), though some folks here have had good luck with them. Get the poles that feel best in your hands - there's nothing magic about carbon v. aluminum v. titanium. Check the locking mechanisms, though most twist-lock or "flick-lock" mechanisms hold well, and the choice is simply preference. I've seen some poles lately that are shock-corded together; I'm not sure how they work, but have to wonder if getting them caught between (literally) a rock and a hard place might cause them to disassemble at an inopportune moment.

#162312 - 02/16/12 12:32 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Glenn]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I agree, do not get the cheapest; they won't last and you'll end up paying more in the long run.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#162313 - 02/16/12 12:40 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I won't leave home without them!

Advantages of trekking poles:

Improve stability on rough areas, stream fording, soft snow. (On steep or icy snow, though, an ice axe is preferable if you know how to use it for self-arrest.)

Improve balance (great for us older folk who tend to lose it as we age)--they have saved me from a number of potentially serious falls.

Take stress off knees, ankles, feet, hips, especially on downhill. Help prevent stress injuries for those whose joints are still pain-free, and really help those of us with old injuries or arthritis.

Less leg stress on the uphill because arms and shoulders help with the effort, also increase endurance.

Easier to maintain a good pace on level ground, at least for me, again because the arms and shoulders help.

At home, when exercise walking, poles turn walking into a whole body exercise (Nordic walking) that works those important core muscles.

Multiple uses:
Shelter support (save weight of tent poles and also sturdier)
Travois foundation (in case my dog gets hurt)
Splints
Hand crutches
Fishing rod
Chair support (prop up my pack to use as a chair back)
Ski poles (with snow baskets added)
Fend off loose dogs
Wave at mountain lions (should I meet one) to make me look bigger
Potential weapon against 2-legged varmints
Convenient measuring tool, especially in photos (be sure the centimeter markings are towards the camera)
Trail maintenance tool (recommended by the USFS)--push sticks or stones off the trail; clear drainage ditches. You can do these as you hike, generally without breaking stride.

Cons:

Get in the way on brush-choked trails and when scrambling. If you have collapsible poles, they can easily be collapsed and fastened to your pack for such sections.

Keep your hands full. However, I have learned both to handle my dog's leash and to get my camera out and take photos without dropping the trekking poles. In the case of the leash, I can do this while moving. It just takes practice and (for the dog) some training.

Poor technique can make the poles ineffective.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about trekking poles.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/16/12 12:46 PM)

#162316 - 02/16/12 12:58 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: kevonionia]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
I agree, do not get the cheapest; they won't last and you'll end up paying more in the long run.

Or shop well - I got the Eastons mentioned above for thirty bucks, and they are much better than cheap Walmart poles. MSRP is much more than that but God bless Sierra Trading Post and their deal flyer!

#162318 - 02/16/12 01:45 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: lori]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I never hit the trail without it. I prefer carrying just one as I like having a hand free. I've definitely put my $14 wally world special through it's paces and have yet to have any issues.

#162322 - 02/16/12 02:59 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: palameto]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I will chime in as someone who does not own or use trekking poles.

I won't try to challenge any of the reasons given for using poles, since I can't say that any of those reasons are incorrect. I really have no doubt that poles can be of assistance in steep downhill terrain, during creek crossings, or traversing icy snowfields. They can also be incorporated into one's shelter, as tent/tarp poles.

The real reason I don't use poles is simple enough. There has never been a time when not having poles has made a noticeable impact on my hiking. I've hiked in steep downhill terrain without incident, ditto for crossing creeks and snowfields. My knees are ok. My balance is good. My pack is usually fairly light. My shelter doesn't need trekking poles.

Consequently, I never have bought poles on the (somewhat shaky) theory that "if I don't have it, then I don't need it". So far, any need for poles has never arisen to the point where I ever actually noticed it.

#162324 - 02/16/12 03:44 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I agree with all of the above points. Hiking in rattlesnake country, I have always found them useful. My pole goes ahead of me and probes suspicious places first. I generally prefer one pole, although it varies with the terrain and situation.

To start out, i would recommend you saw off a broom handle or similar, put a wrist loop on one end, and give the pole a trial at minimum cost.

#162332 - 02/16/12 05:41 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: oldranger]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I bought my poles from a thrift store for $5. They are used ski poles. I am still up in the air if I really like them. But, I do like them on the downhill.

#162333 - 02/16/12 05:45 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

I don't think that's a shaky reason at all. If I really put my mind to it, I could probably come up with a couple of dozen things that others carry, but I don't - and for pretty much the same reason.

#162350 - 02/17/12 01:20 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: palameto]
ditchbanker Offline

Loc: Idaho
I may not be completely qualified to answer but this is the internet and that's never stopped anyone before.

I'm very new (starting 2012) to backpacking. However, I did grow up hunting and doing some hiking. I never used poles in the past and thought they just looked geeky. Still do, actually.

But when I started into that great American passtime of Buying Stuff, I decided to grab a pair. Can't believe I waited that long. I'd never use them for hunting, way too loud, but love them for hiking.

First "overnighter" I ended up deciding to try to beat a storm out at midnight. The confidence in my footing with the poles was awesome.

On a day hike, my wife (not as much outdoors experience) was having a lot of trouble with an up and over the mountain route. On a steep stretch she finally accepted my offer and took the poles from me. I ultimately got one pole back to continue the hike, but she had her own pair before we made it home.

Stability, peace of mind, snake protection, a little extra speed in easy spots... I can't believe it took me that long to get over how geeky they look...

#162367 - 02/17/12 11:19 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: ditchbanker]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Never tried poles but I do use a staff. It was my father's and is a cool gnarly old knotted up thing. I coated it with Thompson's Water Seal,put a crutch tip on the end and use it whenever I go into the woods. Helps me keep a pace and in difficult footing provides stability. I've forgotten it and felt lost until I picked up a likely stick from the side of the trail. Hopefully I'll be able to retire it with a good replacement when the time arrives. Or maybe it'll last long enough that i retire at the same time. Lots of miles and memories in that old stick.

#162368 - 02/17/12 11:40 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I don't think that's a shaky reason at all. If I really put my mind to it, I could probably come up with a couple of dozen things that others carry, but I don't - and for pretty much the same reason.

I always have reasons for everything I pack. Sometimes it's "because I want to." Which is always a valid reason, as long as you are willing to shoulder the consequences of packing a kitchen sink and don't expect me to carry it for you.

I think the poles fall into the category of "something that helps some of the people some of the time." My reasons for carrying them have changed over time; they were helpful at the beginning to reduce strain and keep my balance. These days my legs and ankles are much stronger and balance is less of an issue, but the poles are such multi use items and really help with gnarly stream crossings, holding up the tarp or tent, etc. that I miss them when I go without.

In SAR we sometimes carry them collapsed on the pack - but most of us have them, also to use one as a tracking stick.

#162372 - 02/17/12 12:28 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: aimless]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I went for years without poles. My husband uses poles. I found that I needed to "borrow" them from him more and more, particularly at stream crossings. So about 5 years ago I got poles. I still do not take them sometimes, but most of the time I do. One reason I like to go without poles now and then, and on most day hikes (no heavy pack) is that I find that my balance and footing actually improve when I do not depend on poles. So I feel "pole-less" is more of an excercise to keep my balance honed. So I am a proponent of mixed use- sometimes yes, sometimes no. And of course, there are all those times where I forget to put the poles in the car and have to do without!

#162375 - 02/17/12 01:57 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

"My balance and footing improve..."

I've noticed the beginnings of a decline in that department - I attributed it to advancing years, and never thought about becoming dependent on poles. I may have to try going pole-less one of these days.

Thanks for the idea!

#162395 - 02/17/12 07:55 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
In a usage similar to tracking sticks, a pole makes a nice scale for archaeological photography and measurements.

#162398 - 02/17/12 08:53 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: aimless]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
I don't use them. Just something else to have to keep up with, and I like to have my hands free. If I want help crossing a stream, I'll find a downed stick, whack it on the ground a couple times to make sure it's solid, and then use that.

#162400 - 02/17/12 09:06 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Hmm well let me say when I was Young I looked for a long stick. When I got back into backpacin again I bought two Kswiss at Farm and fleet . I went and used them and they saved my old butt! I would have fallen many times in four days without them! I now have a leiki and still both original kswiss. Sorry but the leiki is no better than my ten dollor kswiss! That said i will not go without them they saved me many stumbles thus far!

#162973 - 02/28/12 06:53 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: palameto]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I like what everyone said. I’ll also add:
1. It’s nice to also use your upper body to propel you forward; thus you get a full body workout.
2. It prevents your hands from swelling--- which happens w/o poles on long treks.
3. They’re great on scree.

-Barry
The mountains were made for Teva’s

#163527 - 03/08/12 05:56 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: BarryP]
HikerChick Offline

Loc: CA
I have a pair that my boyfriend bought me last year. I have yet to try them out! I usually don't have problems with balance and prefer to have my hands free. But maybe I'll take them out on my next little snowshoe hike as they might come in handy on the snowy and icy creek crossings. Can always use the extra upper body workout too.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum