Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157913 - 11/28/11 05:37 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Gershon]
kevbo610 Offline

Loc: columbus georgia
good post gershon. no, GREAT post, gershon. i get the "fever" to go all the time. to satisfy that urge, i just get out and walk around the woods, or i walk the roads. i always bring something back with me that i have found on my walk. anything from a new stick to carve/whittle on, to the 40mm practice grenade i found. sometimes i take a trash bag a pick up trash. never-ending job there. if i am at my daughters house in town, same thing, just walking the sidewalks. but, i much prefer the country walks. sometimes i pack my sleeping bag and pack and hitchhike for a week or two, or longer. i think it must be the ancient urge to see what is around the next bend or what is over the next rise. i am sure there are people who can write more poetically than me that have covered this. oh, on my last walk out here in the country, i counted 137 cans/bottles in less than 1 mile along the road.

#157914 - 11/28/11 05:38 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: kevbo610]
kevbo610 Offline

Loc: columbus georgia
sorry i got off point there.

#157919 - 11/28/11 10:56 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: intrek38]
Merlyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By intrek38
""Long Walk fever seems to be going around. A lot of people are catching it.""
Kinda comparable to gold fever. Please be careful and enjoy..

I too have this fever, but not enough time of fund to cure it. So I will have to be content with less.

If you would, Can you explain your fever??

Gershon is absolutely right - it's hard/impossible to explain.

I've felt the need to see what was on the other side of the next hill since I was a kid. Probably explains 100+ moves since I left my folk's house in '89.

In addition to the references already made, you might check out the "Life is a Road" site and books by Daniel Meyer. He's a biker rather than a backpacker, but he understands. He talks a lot about the devastating need to SEE (to use his phrase).

Merlyn

#157922 - 11/28/11 11:13 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: kevbo610]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By kevbo610
i have hitchhiked and hiked enough to know that ENOUGH SOCKS and GOOD SOCKS are important. dont buy the cheapest pairs at wal-mart. invest. good luck

Good advice!

I am planning on wearing pretty heavy smartwool socks over thin wicking socks of some sort (Polypropylene?). And I am taking several (probably 4-5) sets in case of wet feet or multiple days between chances to wash 'em. Little extra weight, but worth it, I think.

Merlyn

#158057 - 11/30/11 08:10 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Gershon Offline

Merlyn, one of the symptoms of "Long Walk Fever" is the need to plan a long walk before being ready for it. It's likely you will find it's not possible yet unless you are very unique. Don't disappear if that happens. Just learn how to get ready.

From your gear choices so far, I can see you will benefit from some practice runs. The alternative is to throw away a lot of things along the way. Either way works.

(Edited to delete Trinidad idea. It's further than I thought.)

I'm helping someone plan a very long walk which he is perfectly capable of doing. I'm halfway through the planning and I've found it's just a series of 20 mile day trips, so that's kind of a magic number.

Edited by Gershon (11/30/11 08:20 AM)

#158169 - 12/01/11 10:49 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Gershon]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
Merlyn, one of the symptoms of "Long Walk Fever" is the need to plan a long walk before being ready for it. It's likely you will find it's not possible yet unless you are very unique. Don't disappear if that happens. Just learn how to get ready.

From your gear choices so far, I can see you will benefit from some practice runs. The alternative is to throw away a lot of things along the way. Either way works.

(Edited to delete Trinidad idea. It's further than I thought.)

I'm helping someone plan a very long walk which he is perfectly capable of doing. I'm halfway through the planning and I've found it's just a series of 20 mile day trips, so that's kind of a magic number.

Unique? Nope. I'm a fairly typical guy for someone with my (admittedly kinda strange) background and proclivities. But I'm stubborn too, and that plays into many aspects of this trip. No worries - I'm not leaving the board. Between this place and Practical Backpacking, I am picking up too much good information to abandon either one.

I may well can some stuff along the way. :: grin : Keep an eye out for a gear sale along about February. Time and miles will tell. I've already cut nearly 15 pounds off my pack weight, and after a month of lugging around what's left, it's entirely possible I'll have a new outlook on the concept of necessity.

I'm trying to look at this trip as a series of day hikes, but I have to keep the 10-12 (or possibly more) months I am going to be on the road in mind too. Both outlooks come into play. Averaging 20 miles a day, 6 days a week would be excellent... but right on the other hand I'm not on a schedule. If I only make 8 miles on a given day, but see cool stuff and meet interesting people... that is a win, for me.

:: chuckle :: In some ways, this board is the wrong place for me to talk about a trip like this. I am not a backpacker in the same way you folks are. I have different motivations, goals and expectations.

That being said, I am learning a lot here. I've changed a number of things (including my *entire* route, and almost all of my gear list) based strictly on what I have picked up reading this forum and others like it. I have (I like to think) a better idea of what to expect, what to prepare myself for and what I don't have to worry about.

Thank you all for your insight, comments and wisdom.

Michael "Merlyn" Graves

#159441 - 01/01/12 11:06 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Merlyn Offline

Thought I'd post an update, for any who might be interested.

I am currently in Costa Mesa California, and my walk starts tomorrow morning.

I want to wish you all a phenomenal year in 2012, and the best of luck in all your endeavors.

Merlyn Graves
"In Transit"

#159560 - 01/03/12 05:33 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
best of luck!

#159631 - 01/04/12 08:56 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: BZH]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
best of luck!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum