Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156622 - 11/02/11 10:59 AM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: Samoset]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
From your list of criteria, and your location, I would say don't get a husky or malamute. I have a small malamute (75 lbs). Just look at my avatar. She is very protective of kids, but we have to consistently remind her that she isn't in charge. I think she makes a great hiking companion, but her prey drive is HUGE. If it is small, she will try to eat it.

#156633 - 11/02/11 12:43 PM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: finallyME]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
I have always ruled out the really large breeds because they don't live long enough, ie 8 years. Breeds with fighting and protection in their genes are not trustworthy enough for crowded trails, wildlife, and livestock. Some people swear by them, but why take a chance when you can have a breed that has evolved to protect lambs?

#156851 - 11/05/11 11:45 PM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Hello everyone,
First of all I want to think everyone for there responses Im much appreciative. Second to Bill I'm really sorry to here about your loss but very anxious to here more about how you and Annie's relationship develops. As I'm almost 100% I have my heart set on a female Aussie. On a chance encounter I was working by a pond yesterday clearing some undergrouth and vines for a land owner that I do a lot of such work for. When out out of no where a blue merle female Aussie Walks up to check out what I was doing . Assuming this was the neighbors dog. I extended my hand palm out in an inviting manor and she came right over allowing me to pet her.

I have no idea her name and she was gone just as quick as she came but that pretty much was the sign I needed to set into motion the next set of events. That wil lead to my family having our first puppy together. Now to the buisness of puppy proofing upgrading fencing, new doghouse/bedding , finding a responcible breeder or suitble rescue dog. I'm currently semi interested in One breeder as they will have a litter ready early march which is a bit early for me but I could possible swing it. http://www.MOSSYCREEKAUSSIES.com I'm not 100% set on them I plan to contact them and ask if they would allow me to come meet the mother an father of the litter might try and head up that way in a few weeks I'm also going to continue my research of rescue shelters and breeders in the area.

Any advice on dealing with breeders or rescue shelters will be greatly appreciates as I have either inherited or been giving as a gift all my previous dogs . even our dog now my wife had three years before we met. So I'm extreamly novice and a little nervous about making decisions like this that are going to be this big of a commitment to my family and myself.

To the comments about aussies needing active homes and things to keep there minds busy all day. This is exactly what drew me to this breed as a family we live an extremely active life style. And we treet our pets as part of that life style and our family no matter what we are doing.

Another thing that attracted me to the breed was there intelligence I intend to challange and test them threw games training And just plain everyday companionship. I intend on taping into some of there natural herding and protective genes and train to help keep an eye on our children especially as they get older and want to start venturing off on there own day hikes and such when at go backpacking.

Overall I'm pretty excited and I have to say its nice to have something to look forward to that I can share with my whole family. I'm going to take this slow and not make any impulsive decisions.

Thanks again everyone
SAMOSET

#156876 - 11/06/11 06:43 PM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: Samoset]
OttoStover Offline

Loc: Norway
Very good Samoset, the aussies are wonderful dogs, well behaved, intelligent and medium sized with good working capacity. A perfect companion both at home and on the track.

To select the breeders and then to select the puppy is another matter. The breeder must be recognized by the FCC and should have some reputation within the community of that breed. If this is ok you are as secure as you ever will be.

But how to select the puppy is another matter. I have done it three times and it starts with a phone call to the breeder to ensure that I may have the first selection of the puppies. If I may not have this then I wait to find another litter.

When I have a deal with the breeder, I take two trips to view the puppies, one just to see size and tendencies (not yet make a decision) but later when the puppies are almost weaned I make the final choice. Find out when the puppies are fed, and arrive some time before that.

Buy a balloon and blow it up, and throw it to the puppies. See who is most interested in it, and who takes charge of the play. When it explodes, see who is the first one back to look for it. There you have a strong, self secure, unafraid dog. If this dog steals food from the other and better even from his mother I would say perfect! That is my choice method. If you forget the balloon, clap your hand hard, or find some other way to mak an abrupt unexpected noise. Works the same.

If you are unfamiliar with training dogs, you could pick not the top alfa dog, but the second on the list. At all cost I would stay away from the timid afraid puppy in the corner. Some like this, but I think this could be a bigger problem than the top alfa dog.
Otto

#156905 - 11/07/11 09:50 AM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: ppine]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By ppine
I have always ruled out the really large breeds because they don't live long enough, ie 8 years. Breeds with fighting and protection in their genes are not trustworthy enough for crowded trails, wildlife, and livestock. Some people swear by them, but why take a chance when you can have a breed that has evolved to protect lambs?

My dog is 6 right now. I have been thinking of getting a large herding dog to replace her when she gets to old. My criteria for one is that the dog is large enough to pull my sled easily, alone. It must have a thick winter coat and be able to sleep outside in the snow with only a pad underneath. It also must be really good with small kids.

#156942 - 11/07/11 03:53 PM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: finallyME]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
One odd note - the "Alaskan Huskey", the primary sled dog here in Fairbanks is a short-hair. They live outside year around too. Weirdest thing. (Sorry when I moved up here I was expecting Samoyads and Mals.)

#162735 - 02/24/12 05:21 PM Re: help choosing a four legged hiking partner? [Re: Samoset]
mccallum Offline

Loc: Kansas
I have owned/had two mix breed Labs; one a lab/?? mutt andmy current a Lab/Large Terrier mix. The first would walk with me anywhere but we really never truely hiked. My current love to walk and we have hiked together four or five times in the two years he has shared my life. I would suggest a mix breed of any larger breeds. Mixed because it usually rules out some of the hip, eye and other issues of pure breeds these days.

I also agree with those who have said get a dog to live with that like to hike because you will spend more time at home than on the trail.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum