Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153547 - 08/09/11 02:28 PM Backpack and Sleeping Bag
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I got my heart set on a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 pack. They got one left in men version at my local outfitter and I'm hoping soon to get it. This pack should serve me well and meet all of my needs. It's cheaper at my local outfitter than online price at REI.

Sleeping bag, I don't know what to get. I've been looking the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina. I want something that can be use for mild winter hiking as well as spring and fall. I want lowest temperature rating and very good compression while less than $200. And it has to be synthetic. The ultralamina packs 8x15 and rated to 15 degrees. I don't know what other brands can beat this.

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/09/11 02:30 PM)

#153552 - 08/09/11 03:53 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
why do you want synthetic?

#153553 - 08/09/11 04:20 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: BZH]
ETSU Pride Offline

Allergic to down.

#153554 - 08/09/11 04:33 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
The best choice for you will all depend on where you are going, when you are going....and how much you need to carry in that pack.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#153556 - 08/09/11 05:25 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: balzaccom]
ETSU Pride Offline

Majority of my trips will be 2 nights and 3 days. I don't think I ever go on more than that with this pack. I currently hike around Great Smoky Mountain, Nantahala, Pisgah, Cherokee, and other national forests in the Southeast. I'm planning a trip to the west when I graduate in May and will take this pack with me. I'm not sure where I'm go out west, but I'm do some hiking and probably an overnight or two somewhere. I'm thinking Colorado in Late May or June most likely. We'll see how it works out.

#153562 - 08/09/11 10:29 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Most down allergies are really allergies to feathers, not an issue with high quality (800+ weight) down. If you can borrow or rent a bag with high-quality down, try one out to be sure first. I've had problems (A-CHOO!) with feather pillows, but not with my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. A high quality down bag is an investment for a lifetime (if well cared for), while even a high-quality synthetic bag usually lasts only 5-8 years. Someday someone will invent a synthetic insulation that can be compressed and recompressed many times without damage, but it hasn't happened yet.

It's generally advised to get the pack last, so you know your gear will fit inside and that the pack carries comfortably for you with your gear (and the equivalent of a week's food and a day's water) inside. Pack fit is almost as individual shoe fit, so be sure it works for you. See the articles on the home page of this site, if you haven't already, for lots of tips on gear selection.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/09/11 10:38 PM)

#153568 - 08/09/11 11:58 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've looked at it in a store, and it looks like a good pack. The suspension is adjustable; I didn't have enough time or interest to actually try it on. (Translation: my wife was in the store with me, and thinks that one of the 3 packs I already have should be adequate. Silly girl.)

Design wise, it looks a lot like the Vapor Trail, with the addition of a shove-it pocket on the back. That means that you're working with one big, undivided bag (which I like), and very little organizing ability: just the shove-it, plus two open-top side pockets. They do look like they'd hold water bottles really well, though. I used to use a Vapor Trail, and found this packbag design perfectly adequate.

However, if you want a secure place for little stuff (first aid kit, car keys, map, compass, headlamp, etc.) they make an add-on Line Loc lid. I've only seen it online, but the pack appears to have some connecction points for it.

Take your gear to the store with you, and load it up (ask if you can use one of their synthetic bags for that purpose) and get the pack adjusted to fit you. Then walk around with it in the store for a while.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

#153578 - 08/10/11 11:23 AM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: Glenn]
ETSU Pride Offline

Oregeon, those Western Mountaineer are too rich for my blood. lol. It'll take me some times to save up for that. I don't know where I can rent gears at around here just yet. I'm still searching for an outfitter that rents them out.

Glenn, my plan was to pick up some more compression sacks. I was going put sleeping bag, tent, pad, at the bottom. I'll put food, clothes, small stuff in compression sacks and just pile 'em up on one another. I might put the tent pole in that long pocket on outside and all the water bottles on side of the pack. I have a hydration bladder if I really need to pack it, but if there a lot of water source nearby, I have found no other reason to carry one. But if water source is a long distance away I'll pack it. I'm only planning on using this pack for 3 days at most. That about long as I ever plan to go backpacking. I might take it on winter dayhikes to pack my parka and essentials even though it'll be an over-killed, but at least it's a light pack! I might take them up on the custom strap. They have one men version left and if that strap slight big on me, they can swap them for better fitting one for no extra charges. Then if my body gains more weight in the future, then well, I guess I'll have to order new ones. lol.

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/10/11 11:24 AM)

#154017 - 08/25/11 04:36 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
ETSU Pride Offline

I pick up the Blaze yesterday and today I load it with what I typically take on 2-3 days trek minus a sleeping bag. This backpack is really comfortable. They put some weight on it in the store for me and made lot of adjustment and it's much better fitting and comfort than my other.

It was worth saving up for so far, cannot wait to hit the trail. I haven't had a chance to load it with winter gears yet such as parka and all that, but I need start shopping for clothes. My friend has a Kelty 3d light year sleeping bag that he used one time and said the mummy cut was too narrow for him. Since I have a smaller body frame, he told me it be perfect for me. He going let me borrow it whenever I can go again.

#154022 - 08/25/11 05:58 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Offline

I'm anxious to hear your first trip report. Did you get the add-on lid?

I was trying to use a Talon 44 to get an extra pound off my back; I've concluded that the heavier Osprey Kestrel 48 is better because of the increased comfort level. However, your Blaze is about half a pound lighter, and since I've liked other Granite Gear products, I'm not going to rule out yet another pack change in the future.

Edited by Glenn (08/25/11 06:00 PM)

#154029 - 08/25/11 08:51 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: Glenn]
ETSU Pride Offline

I didn't get the lid at this time. I got the orange color, but they swap the straps for me which was only difference between women and men specifics. I'm tying find the time to go, by time I mean gas money. laugh

Only thing I want to know now, I didn't realized it at the time, but when I rolled the top part down and strap it up, what are chances of water getting in? The hole small, but I'm sure during a good down pour and even by tying the string around the top water might still trickle into pack..Eh, I'll just pack my pack cover to be safe.

#154030 - 08/25/11 09:43 PM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: ETSU Pride]
Glenn Offline

I always used a pack cover in the rain, and never had any problem. Once, while wearing a Vapor Trail (same closure system, no lid, no pack cover), I did step into a hole in a thigh-deep creek crossing, going in over my head for about 2 seconds, and nothing in the pack got wet.

#154064 - 08/27/11 09:29 AM Re: Backpack and Sleeping Bag [Re: Glenn]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Please letme know what you think of the Blaze after putting some miles on it. I too am considering that pack, the suspension looks awsome!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum