Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150141 - 05/10/11 01:26 PM Sustainable Trails
tonyweb Offline

I'm thinking about getting intotrail design as a career. Does anyone have any experience, tips, etc. about this topic that could help me out?

#150144 - 05/10/11 01:44 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
So far as I know, no one today has a full time job designing trails. The heyday of trail building is long over. These days there are far more miles of trail out there than there is money to maintain them, so new trails are a bit of a rarity.

Such new trails that are built would tend to be built in brand new parks and other new recreation sites. Because governments at all levels are hurting for money, new parks are also a rarity. Again, just maintaining the parks and campgrounds that have already been built is a big struggle these days. Fees are rising and parks are closing instead.

Good luck, but you might want to consider another direction to go in.

#150145 - 05/10/11 02:15 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have much the same reaction as aimless. Working in the NPS, I never heard on anyone who was a full time designer of trails. Most large parks (Yosemite, et al. will have a crew which is primarily involved in trail maintenance, which frequently involves rerouting and reconstruction, which I understand can be surprisingly complex - trails can and often should be rather sophisticated constructions, especially if they drain properly.

I would suspect you will also have to build and design other widgets, with a reputation eventually as the go to person when a trail is needed.

My first job in the NPS was trail crew, and later on, directing an archeological project, I built (actually, my sterling crew did most of the work, except for the dynamiting) an access trail to a ruin (Gila Cliff Dwellings) which became part of the main tour route.

With a major interest in trails, you would want to check out job opportunities at NPS design and construction offices, and possibly in some of the larger parks. I am sure somewhat the same procedure would work for the US Forest Service and other state and federal land managing agencies. Consider seasonal jobs -the traditional portal for a career in these agencies.

I am sure there are opportunities. I have marveled at the thoughtful design of some trails, and on others, cursed the ancestry of the knucklehead who built in so many unnecessary grades. Get out there and straighten them out!

#150146 - 05/10/11 02:20 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
From Aimless' post and the link you supplied, it would sound like one approach to a career might be the re-design of existing trails. (I've hiked a bunch of them that violate most, if not all, of the principles in the link.) While most trails have large portions that probably are OK as is, almost every trail has some problem: a segment turns into a creek at the first sign of rain, the uphills go straight up and straight down and erode quickly, or they're just a long, dull walk through the underbrush on the way to nowhere. There could be a career in re-designing these segments.

Another thing, for me, that makes some trails unpleasant to walk are the staircases that go down one side of a ravine and up the other. It prevents these steep sides from eroding, and makes a trail more accessible to those who aren't physically able to handle the ascent or descent otherwise - I understand that. But surely there's a better way? Perhaps run the trail around the head of the ravine? Seems like that might be fertile ground for re-engineering existing trails, too.

You would probably want to contact the various state departments of natural resources and the US Forest Service and perhaps US Park Service. It would seem like state and federal forests might be more promising than actual parks, since they tend to be less developed and more oriented toward managing the resource than catering to the crowds.

Like Aimless, I'm not sure you'll be able to do trail design as a full-time job - but after you talk to the various state and local DNRs, you might have a real good idea of how to broaden your curriculum to also include other subjects that would make you an attractive job candidate for a position involving trail design as one part of the job.

#150163 - 05/11/11 10:14 AM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
When I was in college, and visiting another college that was fairly new, a friend of mine told me how college pathways should be designed. Basically, don't put in any pathways the first few years. The students will naturally carve out the best routes to a from buildings. Then, after a few years, pave those paths. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of paved paths that no one walks on, and a bunch of dirt paths that everyone walks on.

Anyways, I am sure the same applies to trails.

#150165 - 05/11/11 12:13 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I did exactly that at a park in which I worked where we opened up an outlying portion of an Indian pueblo. We just let visitors find their way for a couple of weeks, and the most popular path was then improved.

#150168 - 05/11/11 01:55 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
The trail design needs to be different based on the amount of traffic. An interstate highway is designed different than a neighborhood street.

Most trail started as game trails long before there were humans. They need periodic reroutes and updates if the traffic volumn changes.

#150172 - 05/11/11 02:14 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: ringtail]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Also, they may need altered if the game isn't going where the people need to go. (Sorry, couldn't resist. smile )

#150173 - 05/11/11 02:15 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
Just a thought as I my limited experience in this area was working for my uncle's landscape company when I was a teen and once actually participating in building a fitness trail. This was a long time ago.

Perhaps you could expand your base of knowledge to include landscape design. This would include corporate campuses, residences, neighborhoods, apartment complexes, parks, etc. Some of these will need trails and paths built, re-designed, etc. Eventually one might be able to specialize in trails, but starting out with a broader skill set one is more likely to find employment.

#150191 - 05/11/11 09:23 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: tonyweb]
Banjopickin Offline

Loc: NC
I suggest contacting your local gear shop and/or state and local parks. Many of them have volunteer trail crews that help with maintenance. Ive done a fair amount of trail building and maintaining with my local mountain biking club and also with REI as a volunteer at some state parks. I agree with Aimless, most work is done to maintain existing trail so building new ones might not be the way to go. Make sure you put in some good quality trail maintenance days with some volunteer crews. Building and maintaining trails often sounds more fun than it is. It can be hard, hot, back breaking work but very rewarding. Plus its a great way to give back to the trails that give us all so much joy. Good Luck!

#150268 - 05/13/11 08:01 PM Re: Sustainable Trails [Re: Banjopickin]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Agreed with Aimless.

I have a few friends that have done trail work at Acadia National Park, and a few of the islands part of a Maine wide island kayak trail led by the Maine Island Kayak Association. Most of the trails were already established. There was one rare case where they made a new trail on Marshall Island in Blue Hill Bay. It is indeed a lot of work. Mad props to those trail workers.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum