Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148345 - 03/25/11 02:41 PM My Ultralight Stove
Ducky Offline

Well my wife left me alone on my day off for the second day in a row. One thing led to another and I ended up making another alcohol stove.
I have made one of these before but it had some anoying design flaws that I wanted to fix.
It is made entirley out of aluminum. The side walls are two layers of aluminum. This paired with the convex shape of the top and bottoms makes this thing extreamly strong.
The bottom half has a flat bottom so you can use ESBIT tablets if you like.
The whole in the middle is the fill hole. Just pour your fule into the dish untill it fills up to the point where there is a little puddle in the bottom. Throw a spark on the pool and it will prime, once it burns down a little the flame will come out the burnner holes.

That says 1 1/8 oz

#148350 - 03/25/11 03:58 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
good job throw a penny over the hole for a fater prime.

#148354 - 03/25/11 05:16 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Samoset]
Ducky Offline

I have never liked using the penny, just because it's another thing that I have to carry and keep track of.
And also I like the fact that once it burns dowl a little the center hole turns into a small burrner as well.
Take a look.
I dint time any of this. maybie I will do it again latter and actualy boil some water.

Burnners just lit

Great flame pattern

Close up

From above

Nice thing about the aluminum is it cools off fast.
This was about 40 seconds after it burned itself out. (and its still pretty laugh )

#148359 - 03/25/11 06:10 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
Trower Offline

Loc: Northern Maine
Very nice work! How did you make the top? Looks good enough to have been milled goodjob

#148402 - 03/26/11 08:09 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Trower]
Ducky Offline

It is made out of the bottom half of two venom energy drink cans. the bottom one I had to flatten a little bit so that when I pressed them together the center dished didnt hit.
I drilled and deburred all my holes before pressing them together. Then I took to it with a soft grinder to get the finish that I wanted.
lol I culd send you one so you can take a closer look for ooooooo about $25. laugh

#148403 - 03/26/11 09:26 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Looks to be a well project! I have made a couple but am most of time hiking with a friend. Makes more sense to take one canister stove in my situation. I may use my alcohol stove again one day!

#148520 - 03/28/11 09:40 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Kent W]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Looks very nice and well made. When you do some timed tests be sure to post them. I'm curious to see your 2cup boil time.

#148563 - 03/29/11 10:28 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: GDeadphans]
Ducky Offline

I will post some burn times soon.

I have a couple of these and was thinking about selling them if anyone is interested.
Keep in mind that these are much stronger than a regular penny stove. I think i my try and drive over one to see if it holds up. I bet it will.
I was thinking $25

#149034 - 04/08/11 04:27 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
hikemikehike Offline

maybe this is a stupid question but im new to this so bear with me. obviously with this type of stove youre required to carry alcohol for fuel? rubbing alcohol? how much?

#149042 - 04/08/11 07:07 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: hikemikehike]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
You want a pure alcohol. Somoething around 99%. Most recommend heet (yellow bottle of gas line antifreeze), methyl alcohol (next to paint thinner), everclear (95%) or some variation on that.

How much you bring will depend on how much your stove uses and what type of cooking. Some need less than an ounce to boil 2-4 cups and some need more. Your best bet is to try out your stove at home and get an idea of home much you'd need for one meal and then multiply it by how many meals you need (include water boils if you don't filter) and then allow yourself a buffer.

To give an example, Mark Jurey's penny stove here has these stats:
Quote:
Fuel Use
15 ml. (1/2 oz.) of fuel will boil 2 cups of water. 20 ml. (2/3 oz.) boils 2 cups and simmers for another 2 min. or 10 min. with the simmer ring. At that rate, 8 oz. of fuel will boil 24 cups (6 quarts) of water then simmer for for 2 hours. Light the stove with the simmer ring on and 8 oz. will burn for a total of 4 hours - 12 fully cooked meals.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#149072 - 04/09/11 01:39 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Paulo]
GDeadphans Offline

Every can stove has a different performance value to them.

Some burn hotter, boil faster, but wont stay lit long. Some burn a bit cooler, take a bit more time to boil, but will stay lit longer.

I would definitely recommend Paulo's recommendation with the testing.

#149190 - 04/13/11 04:24 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: GDeadphans]
bmadau Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
Every can stove has a different performance value to them.

Some burn hotter, boil faster, but wont stay lit long. Some burn a bit cooler, take a bit more time to boil, but will stay lit longer.

I would definitely recommend Paulo's recommendation with the testing.

And as a general rule of thumb, on any system that's well designed- hotter stoves that boil faster use more fuel than lower flames that take longer to boil. For example, I've got many stoves that can boil 2c water in 3.5mins, give or take, but burn out in 5mins on 1oz of fuel. I have other stoves (kinda like the mini bull nion, for those that can remember back that far) that boil the same 2c water in about 10 mins, but will burn for nearly 30 on that same oz of fuel. So, if you are just trying to boil water and nothing else, you could get the job done on 1/2oz of fuel- means less fuel to carry. But, the super efficient stove may be more susceptible ot adverse conditions, I can't say. I live in the Sunny SoCal Desert, my conditions are almost always agreeable.

Now how many of your remember the mbd sst? I made one of those once, a few years ago- dunno why I got rid of it... would make for a fun conversation piece, sounded like a jet engine...

BM

#149263 - 04/15/11 09:31 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
Ducky Offline

I am no sientist when it comes to burn times and boiling water.
This stove dose boil 2 cups of water within a resonabul amount of time.
The real selling point of this stove is its strength.
This stove will hold up to a lot more abuse than other stoves.
Here is a test I did with it.

I wanted to try and convey how tough this stove really is compared to a regular pepsi stove.
Before
(please excuse the shoddy craftsmanship of the pepsi stove, Knowing it was doomed I didn't feel like making it pretty)

During
I couldnt get a pic of it totaly on top of the stove because the tire swallowed it up and you couldn't see it.

After

Sorry pepsi stove, you loose frown

I have two built and ready to go.
$25 and I will take care of shipping

#149377 - 04/19/11 10:03 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
GDeadphans Offline

Ducky I think you would have a better selling standpoint if you posted 2cup boiling times, duration of flame, and amount of fuel used.

#149395 - 04/19/11 02:48 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I agree, I dont thinka truck is gonna come down the trails I Hike on and park on my kitchen!

#149750 - 04/29/11 12:28 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Kent W]
Ducky Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
I agree, I dont thinka truck is gonna come down the trails I Hike on and park on my kitchen!

Obvoisly your not going to have to contend with trucks hell bent on the rampant destruction of your camp kitchen.
The test was ment to convey that the stove can easly handle any abuse that you may feel like puting it through.

I will get soem burn/boil times soon and post them.

#149782 - 04/30/11 02:15 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I have had that happen in the desert. Only once, but that was enough. The truck did not run over my SVEA stove. However, it did run over the legs of two girls sleeping close. Lucky they were sleeping on deep soft sand. All they ended up with were bruises.

#149968 - 05/06/11 02:58 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: skcreidc]
GDeadphans Offline

Wow thats pretty crazy. Good thing no one got hurt. Was the driver inebriated or something? How do you not see people and a camp? crazy

#150015 - 05/07/11 10:10 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
jwild Offline

nice, check out the one I made, videos a little long but i light it up at the end, i think i had a few too many when editing it laugh

#150386 - 05/16/11 09:21 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: jwild]
GDeadphans Offline

jwild nice video. I like the old style look to it.

Also, the music is excellent! Can you give me the artist names?

#150555 - 05/18/11 11:38 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: GDeadphans]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
jwild nice video. I like the old style look to it.

Also, the music is excellent! Can you give me the artist names?

Artist: Trampled by Turtles
(from Duluth Minnesota, iam a Midwesterner so i have to point that out grin )
Album: Palomino
Track: Sounds like a movie

#150659 - 05/23/11 01:26 AM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: jwild]
jwild Offline

ohhh and the song "wait so long" spliced in at the end, same band and same album grin

#150698 - 05/23/11 10:47 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: jwild]
GDeadphans Offline

Oh jeez, I heard of the trampled turtles before, wish I picked up on that one. Great band eh!? Thanks! So you must be a fan of YMSB, maybe Hot Day At the Zoo??? Devil Makes Three? Love this music smile

Edited by GDeadphans (05/23/11 10:48 PM)

#150855 - 05/27/11 06:44 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: GDeadphans]
jwild Offline

yeahh good bands, never heard of Hot Day at the Zoo though, I'll have to check them out!

#152044 - 06/28/11 06:14 PM Re: My Ultralight Stove [Re: Ducky]
DavLong Offline

Great job well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum