Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147735 - 03/14/11 07:39 AM Best Boot under $200
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
So I have been using the same pair of Teva mids for a few years now. They were cheap and have gotten me through a couple trips every year. But they have lost their waterproofness (I applied Nik lotion too). And also my feet have grown a half size in the last couple years so I am looking for a new boot.

I dont want to spend over $200 if at all possible.

Right now I am leaning toward the Merrell Perimeter. But I haven't tried anything on yet. I am going to hit up REI tonight to see what fits. I definitely want something I can use year round and also for snow shoeing (paired with gator's of course).

What do you think?

#147737 - 03/14/11 09:39 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
BradMT Offline

Whatever fits your feet and is on sale!

#147738 - 03/14/11 10:51 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
lori Offline

I can get great shoes for less than $100 by knowing what make/model fits my foot and shopping the internet, or hitting the REI used gear sale.

I don't think brand makes a whole lot of difference when they all use the same materials and all make them to be throwaways.

You don't have to spend $200 to get a good fit. Some folks use cheap hiking shoes from Big 5 without a blister.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147739 - 03/14/11 11:36 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
ral Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I agree---whatever fits and the less expensive the better. I do not think folks can do more than express their own opinions on how a boot may feel to them---views on durability may be more useful--but a boot that fits me may not fit you.

#147742 - 03/14/11 12:47 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
Thats really what I was looking for is durability.

I know fit is crucial and I am going to try on a few this afternoon then do some internet shopping after the fact.

#147744 - 03/14/11 01:05 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
lori Offline

Durability varies a lot sometimes even between two pairs of the same shoe. I have a trail runner that lasted 600 miles. I've seen trail runners come apart on the second hike.

If I were looking for ironclad durability, I'd google up one of the custom bootfitters and go all the way - pay more than $600 and get a boot that fit my funny shaped foot perfectly and would last for years and years. But I don't care for leather boots, the full sized boot bruises my ankles, and I'm able to find good fitting trail runners often enough.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147749 - 03/14/11 01:50 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Snowshoeing and summertime scrambling put very different requirements on shoes--I confess I'd have a hard time finding one pair for both. Although the old-school full leather "waffle-stompers" could do both, it was nice to cast off four-pound boots for something lighter in summer.

A pair that might work for you are Merrell Outbound Mids. They're very good for snowshoeing and fall to spring backpacking (hiking in mixed conditions that include mud, snow and creek crossings). They seem indestructible but are not gruesomely heavy because of the fabric uppers and lightweight midsoles. (There is a leather version for those who prefer that.)

Hotter and heavier than I like for summer, however.

Happy hunting,

#147759 - 03/14/11 04:15 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By lori

If I were looking for ironclad durability, I'd google up one of the custom bootfitters and go all the way - pay more than $600 and get a boot that fit my funny shaped foot perfectly and would last for years and years.

I would agree with this statement. The best,and most versatile boots I eever had was a pair of custom Peter Limmers. They fit like a glove right out of the box and were totally blister free. They were mid weight and I did use them in the snow and on snowshoes, although I today I use Sorels for that activity.

The closest off the shelf equivalent in my experience is the Vasque Sundowner. Caution, since having success with the Sundowner, I bought a lifetime supply and I am not familiar with current offerings. But it is an example of a somewhat heavy mid range boot that will do OK in snow.

I absolutely agree that fit is all important...

#147775 - 03/14/11 08:53 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's my advice, now--once you find your perfect shoe, buy up a bunch before the company changes them!

#147854 - 03/16/11 12:12 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I chased the durability (and the abilty to be resoled) into a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs.

They are HEAVY - I miss my Merrills with the running shoe bottom and good ankle blocks.

Let us know what you end up choosing and how it works out.

#147860 - 03/16/11 02:05 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: Steadman]
Alex Frost Offline

I'd say find a boot in your price range then a nicer one out of your price range. Then shop around online until you find a deal you can't beat.

A few days ago I got a pair of Asolo Sasslong Gore-Tex boots for $127 on STP w/ a 20% off coupon and free shipping. So there are deals out there.

#147864 - 03/16/11 07:36 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: Alex Frost]
oldranger Offline

Definitely shop wisely and carefully. But don't be afraid to go over budget on boots. At the end of a long day, you will be glad you did.

#147888 - 03/16/11 04:05 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I really think "durability" is over-rated. You have to think of it like a break-even analysis. If you spend $200 on a "durable" boot that lasts 8 years or $50 on a a trail shoe that only lasts 2 years, it is a break even. The MOST important thing is that the shoe is comfortable. Comfort beats ANYTHING for me. If you are lucky to have average feet, you have a lot of choices. If, like me, you have those horribly difficult feet to fit, it usually boils down to only a handfull that I can even consider. For several years I kept buying shoes that were poorly rated because the stitching wore out in one season, but because of this flaw, they always were on sale, so I simply bought new ones ($50) each year until they quite making them. I also do not try to get a boot that "does it all". I have three shoes for different types of hikes. Because I use each shoe less by only using it for certain conditions, each shoe lasts longer.

In the past I have had durable leather boots that I re-soled several times. They never wore out, but broke down in the ankle region as the leather aged so I had to throw them out anyway.

#163977 - 03/16/12 12:25 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: Steadman]
ThriftyJoe Offline

Loc: E Wyoming
Those Danner Mountain Lights that Steadman mentioned are hardcore durable. I have my original pair from the 1980s. I've been hiking in trailrunners for a while now, so the Danners feel like big rocks tied to my feet by comparison, but I still use them once in a while for dayhiking just for fun.

They're 100% scuffed all over the outside, and the soles are partially worn, but otherwise they're perfectly usable. They still fit great. Haven't given me a blister since I broke them in back in the Reagan administration.

#163984 - 03/16/12 07:04 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: ThriftyJoe]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have two pairs of Danner boots. A pair of mountain lights and a pair of combat boots.

But they have a lot of popular style high top hiking shoes, too. I notice the prices at REI went up. Now Danner seems to be on the low end of price.

#164047 - 03/16/12 11:53 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: glsmaverick]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By glsmaverick
...I know fit is crucial and I am going to try on a few this afternoon then do some internet shopping after the fact.

Do you really think that's ethical?

#164054 - 03/17/12 04:06 AM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: Keith]
oldranger Offline

Good question. The answer is obvious.

Edited by oldranger (03/17/12 04:07 AM)

#164078 - 03/17/12 03:49 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: wandering_daisy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I really think "durability" is over-rated. You have to think of it like a break-even analysis. If you spend $200 on a "durable" boot that lasts 8 years or $50 on a a trail shoe that only lasts 2 years, it is a break even. The MOST important thing is that the shoe is comfortable. Comfort beats ANYTHING for me. If you are lucky to have average feet, you have a lot of choices. If, like me, you have those horribly difficult feet to fit, it usually boils down to only a handfull that I can even consider. For several years I kept buying shoes that were poorly rated because the stitching wore out in one season, but because of this flaw, they always were on sale, so I simply bought new ones ($50) each year until they quite making them. I also do not try to get a boot that "does it all". I have three shoes for different types of hikes. Because I use each shoe less by only using it for certain conditions, each shoe lasts longer.

In the past I have had durable leather boots that I re-soled several times. They never wore out, but broke down in the ankle region as the leather aged so I had to throw them out anyway.

I agree with WD. I used to buy cheap Hi-Tec boots for work. They would last about 6 months or so, but were very comfortable, light and as already mentioned, cheap. They were really a beefy trail shoe before such a thing was popular. I didn't mind replacing them. An expensive pair would likely have eventually met the same fate-dirt, water and lots of hours in them would have been hard on anything. They never came apart, just got so worn, I didn't want to wear them anymore. They were under $50 a pair, but this was years ago, so today, probably they would sell for around $60-$75 or so.

I also have an old pair of Asolo full leather boots. They took some hard use and are still serviceable, but they don't fit my feet as well as they used to for some reason and are not as comfortable as a modern shoe with newer technology. Still glad I bought them, but there are now far better boots on the market.

The bottom line for me is buy something comfortable with a reasonable expectation of usable life at a reasonable price. Kind of like buying a computer-if you expect to keep it forever, you are expecting too much.

#164090 - 03/17/12 08:04 PM Re: Best Boot under $200 [Re: Steadman]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
In my experience, Merrells are not all that durable, but YMMV.

I have a pair of Oboz Beartooth and I find them to be a pretty amazing boot so far. I have had them since around Christmas of last year and have probably close to 100 trail miles on them. I also wear them for my everyday footwear.

They clock in right at $200.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum