Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147557 - 03/09/11 01:50 PM BAckpacker boards are down
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
There's no way to log on---just an error message. Sad for the biggest backpacking community on-line...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#147559 - 03/09/11 02:04 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

You mean the one associated with the backpacker magazine?

Probably the weight of all the unrestrained trolls toppled it over.

I suspect tho that the software (never the best) is probably maxed out and the magazine doesn't appear to have been doing well. Every time I see another popup ad for it, they seem to be offering more and more to get you to subscribe.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147561 - 03/09/11 03:21 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: balzaccom]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
That's not really out of the ordinary for that forum. Just wait a while and try again.

#147563 - 03/09/11 03:45 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: lori]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I learned that the hard way. Stay out of the political forum. The stereotypes are crazy. The only extremes I want to see on a backpacking forum are summer and winter.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#147564 - 03/09/11 03:48 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: Paulo]
lori Offline

I don't even bother with the forum there at all. Backpacker forums don't need political forums!

They let trolls pretty much do what they want, no matter what forum they decide to spit in - no thank you.

#147566 - 03/09/11 04:38 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: lori]
dragoro Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By lori
I don't even bother with the forum there at all. Backpacker forums don't need political forums!

They let trolls pretty much do what they want, no matter what forum they decide to spit in - no thank you.

Agreed

#147577 - 03/09/11 08:36 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: dragoro]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Haven't posted there in over 6 years.

#147606 - 03/10/11 01:21 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Backpacker forums don't need political forums!

I've enjoyed discussing politics with friends and members here. While we don't have a "Political Forum", politics are very much a part of backpacking and worthy of discussion, so it's done in the "Off Topic Forum".

Remember when Bush Jr. wanted to sell off our NF land? I can tell you locals here were concerned and discussing it. And currently, here on this forum, the proposed "Government Shut Down" is also being discussed.

So I must disagree, Backpacking Forums do need a place to discuss politics, but they do not need a place to spew mean spirited political rhetoric, or to tolerate it.

"You want to go where?"

#147610 - 03/10/11 02:41 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Backpacker forums don't need political forums!

I've enjoyed discussing politics with friends and members here. While we don't have a "Political Forum", politics are very much a part of backpacking and worthy of discussion, so it's done in the "Off Topic Forum".

Remember when Bush Jr. wanted to sell off our NF land? I can tell you locals here were concerned and discussing it. And currently, here on this forum, the proposed "Government Shut Down" is also being discussed.

So I must disagree, Backpacking Forums do need a place to discuss politics, but they do not need a place to spew mean spirited political rhetoric, or to tolerate it.

I don't disagree with you that we need a place to discuss politics.

I disagree that any backpacking forum needs a political forum. All you have to do is look in the Backpacker forum for a lot of reasons why. The mean spirited political rhetoric flourishes unchecked, and the same people go into the backpacking subforums and do the same to the people in those places too. Having a dedicated forum just for political issues seems to draw them in and having no moderation whatsoever leaves the rest of the forum open to their destructive behavior.

Some politics as you mention are totally on topic - we all are impacted by legislation on wilderness issues, after all. I would trust folks here to be able to moderate themselves pretty well on hot button political topics. The tone here is set by the folks running the forum - and it's totally different here. Setting up a Political Forum is on the board owner of course... but I would hope that it would be specifically dedicated to politics relevant to backpacking/hiking! otherwise we'd have a bunch of really busy moderators.

#147650 - 03/11/11 09:13 AM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: lori]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Originally Posted By billstephenson
[quote=lori]Backpacker forums don't need political forums!

...The tone here is set by the folks running the forum...

Amen!

I love discussing politics. But the U.S. national and political party leaders set a poor example and the style of many media pundits panders and encourages despicable commentary (often personal and off subject). Between the anonymity provided by the internet, poorly enforced forum standards, and the failings of the American education system ;), a 'good' discussion is hard to find and maintain/continue online.

"I feel that if a person has problems communicating the very least he can do is to shut up." -- Tom Lehrer

FB

#147660 - 03/11/11 04:05 PM Re: BAckpacker boards are down [Re: Fiddleback]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
We do have the "Off-Topic" forum here. However, it is heavily moderated. A lot of new moderators have been added to keep it civil--if it isn't, deleted threads or even shutdowns are liable to occur.

This discussion might better be continued there, IMHO.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/11/11 04:08 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum