Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147165 - 02/28/11 10:33 PM Snow math
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I wonder how they determine how much snow has fallen and how much during a certain time frame? An inch at a time? I know some snow storms the weatherperson says we received "X" amount of snow today and when I look outside, it only looks like a few inches to me, not the 6-8" that was mentioned being received. Depend on the location they use for measuring, like the airport? A cold surface so snowfall does not melt before it can be measured? In High School, in the middle of Nevada, we had a Government weather station of sorts on our farm and everyday before school I took the readings for my mom and she melted any snow to detemine precipitation.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, then was moved by a long distance phone call from a neighbor. I work out of town and was off snow camping this last weekend, so did not make it home, so I missed the 3' more of snow we received on top of the 22" from the weekend before where I live.

#147184 - 03/01/11 01:07 PM Re: Snow math [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Duane,

There are guidelines for pretty much everything, including snow measurement. Here is one set from NOAA.

How to measure snow, the NOAA way

The west is scattered with remote snow sensors (usually "pillows") that measure snow depth in real time and transmit the data. Monthly, we have a manual snow survey to gather more definitive data and correct automatic station errors (the snow can hang up, giving false readings).

It so happens the California monthly survey is today, and we should have good news about our water supply afterwards.

Cheers,

#147206 - 03/01/11 06:49 PM Re: Snow math [Re: Rick_D]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The purpose of CDEC snow surveys is NOT to inform us backpackers and skiiers! It is to estimate the runoff for water supply deliveries and flood control. Thus, it is mostly geared to water content of the snow, not snow depth per se. The sites chosen for sensors are based on getting a good statistical sample. More sensors are also placed in watersheds that cause flooding and are significant water sources for the State Water Project. Thus, fewer sensors on the east side of the Sierra. Nevertheless, it is a wonderful service to backpackers. Here is an example of something our taxes are paying for and we get an extra bonus. I suggest everyone who is backpacking in California get familiar with CDEC's website. It is great!

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow_rain.html

#147207 - 03/01/11 07:26 PM Re: Snow math [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Good summary. It's a lot of fun to dig around the data and look at individual sensor locations--a few have extended data sets including wind speed.

Today's snow survey brings good news for everybody who's not in the northbound PCT class of 2011.

3.1.11 Snow Survey

Cheers,

#147208 - 03/01/11 07:43 PM Re: Snow math [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Thank you Rick, that didn't help much, mostly talks about measuring the amount of precipitation, which is how we did it on the farm. I thought they had a more scientific method. Snow gets compacted by more snow, so I was wondering how they arrive at a foot, when it looks like 8" to me and they only measure at specified intervals. It can snow 2"-3" an hour and if you only measure the snow every 4-8 hours, the snow has settled already. Not meant to be scientific or just standardized procedure?

#147209 - 03/01/11 08:50 PM Re: Snow math [Re: hikerduane]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I remember an article about a couple of guys who traveled the Sierra on skis measuring the snowpack. I think they worked for the L.A. city DWP? They jammed hollow tubes into the snow all the way to the ground, then pulled them out to measure and weigh the core of snow in the tube. The readings gave them both snow depth and density.

That's my dream job!!!!!!

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#147210 - 03/01/11 09:19 PM Re: Snow math [Re: Trailrunner]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Amazing, huh! But if they were in the Owens valley water shed, LA DWP are the guys. Early in the last century, someone in LA finagled the water rights to that area (remember Chinatown with Jack Nicholson). That is your drinking water they are measuring. I have long forgotten the details but prior to pumping, Mono Lake didn't have the exposed spires and they ran gold barges up and down the river.

Duane, they have "specially" selected locals for statistical purposes and consistency. Landforms and storm directions have many effects on the amount of rain or snowfall in any particular area; so much so that a 50% variation is not uncommon.

#147224 - 03/01/11 10:50 PM Re: Snow math [Re: Trailrunner]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Three of us did this job on a ski trip in Arizona's White Mountains. They provided the tube and scales with a modicum of training and paid us enough to take care of gas and food. We used the tube as a center pole in our REI McKinley tent.

It's always good to engage in something that has some depth to it.

#147225 - 03/01/11 10:58 PM Re: Snow math [Re: oldranger]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I have always loved doing field work. Great stuff oldranger.

BTW. There was 24" of snow in the Lagunas (San Diego) from this storm. You can bet there was over 4' in the Sierra San Pedro Martir from the same storm. It would be great to be up there now. I have done it in the past but the way thing are now...

Edited by skcreidc (03/01/11 11:00 PM)

#147231 - 03/01/11 11:47 PM Re: Snow math [Re: oldranger]
hikerduane Offline

:):) Too funny. Multiple use out of the "pole"? I'm aware of the tools/procedure for snow surveys. See photos all the time and on the news as I work out of town, close to Lake Tahoe.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum