Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138645 - 09/11/10 04:10 PM repair kit
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Another of the "ten essentials" that I do not carry is a repair kit. I'm not exactly worried about my thick spectra pack ripping. wink Most of my really important gear is pretty bomb proof and for the rest, if I keep it in good shape it should not fail and if it did, it would give me a chance to improvise. So no duck tape - yuck, if you use duck tape on nylon fabric you'll wish you hadn't. I'd rather rip a down jacket and lose feathers that can be replaced than put adhesive on an expensive jacket. I suppose a needle and thread might help,
BUT
today I had to hand sew a piece of gear. The buckle broke (slammed in car door) on my crazy creek chair and had to be replaced, and one of the rigid stays had torn through so I stitched it down, all with boot makers thread. Besides repairing an air mattress, which is pretty much impossible while camping, I haven't "repaired" any camping gear nor had any camping gear in need of repair for a very long time, like over ten years.

I used to carry eye glasses repair stuff when I had $200 titanium frames that kept falling apart. I went to Wal Mart and bought a pair of glasses with poly carbonate lenses and plastic frames that envelope the lenses, for $68.

I do carry a Gerber LST knife. It weighs around 1.5 oz but has a really nice wide blade maybe 2.5 inches long. I guess thats my repair kit. Oh and I often carry a tiny pair of those "tick tweezers" - lot of tool there for not much weight.
Jim

#138647 - 09/11/10 05:26 PM Re: repair kit [Re: Jimshaw]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Have you sharpened that knife yet, Jim? Or is it still as dull as always? shocked

BF cool

P.S.
When's the next trip? I'm free until Tuesday afternoon.

Edited by bigfoot2 (09/11/10 05:27 PM)

#138650 - 09/11/10 06:10 PM Re: repair kit [Re: Jimshaw]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I'd rather rip a down jacket and lose feathers that can be replaced than put adhesive on an expensive jacket. I suppose a needle and thread might help,

It's not a field repair but there are bonding tapes made for nylon fabrics. I think Stitch Witch is the name of one. Place it between two pieces of nylon fabric, add heat (iron with paper to protect nylon fabric) and it fuses the two pieces of nylon fabric together. It's sort of like welding nylon. I've used it on a couple of tears and it worked great.

#138696 - 09/13/10 01:19 AM Re: repair kit [Re: PerryMK]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have repaired things, but my repair kit pretty much consists of
some duct tape on my trekking poles, a needle in my first aid supplies and some nylon line or dental floss, and a couple of safety pins.

I've sewn buttons on with dental floss, and sewn up ripped pants on occasion.

For the most part I'm kinda like Jim, I'm used to my gear, and there's not a lot can go wrong with it that wouldn't either fix the small oops, or improvise around.

I *do* also carry a thermarest patch kit when I take a thermarest, (I do when I am on the ground as opposed to in a hammock) and I *have* patched a thermarest in the field successfully - it wasn't mine, although I had the kit wink
Browse my pictures

#138699 - 09/13/10 08:29 AM Re: repair kit [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
My first aid kit doubles as a "repair" kit. No much of my stuff can break unless I'm bringing radio/electronic gear out and even that has never let me down. Superglue, dental floss, a big needle and hotel sewing kit, razor blade, some tape, and that's about it. I'm trying to remember the last time I fixed something other than myself.

#138703 - 09/13/10 10:28 AM Re: repair kit [Re: Jimshaw]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Jim,

You are right, but I have never been able to leave it at home. So far this year I have not opened either the first aid or the repair kit. Next spring I will go through both kits to make sure everything is OK.

Both kits are less than 8 oz. I just can NOT break through the mental barrier and leave them at home.

#138709 - 09/13/10 12:38 PM Re: repair kit [Re: ringtail]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
ringtail

Maybe breaking through that barrier is what allowed me to be pretty darn light without relyinjg on UL gear. I simply leave out a lot that others just can't leave home without. My important gear is bombproof and needs no repairs, and I don't need unimportant gear. In 40 years of backpacking the only first aid that I've done on my self was to remove a tick. I've used my blue hydrogel and gause and tape on others. Now my first aid kit consists of a few meds and 2 bandaids, a very tiny bottle of saline eye drops (because if you get something in your eye out there its just nice to be able to clean it out). Tiny tick tweezers act as a lightweight pair of pliers.
Jim

#138711 - 09/13/10 01:21 PM Re: repair kit [Re: Jimshaw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have field-repaired some items during my backpacks, but not often.

The needle that I (only rarely) use to lance blisters, combined with some thread wrapped around a small piece of cardboard and a thimble to protect my fingertip, has been used several times to sew up rips in fabric. It could also sew up a wound (thank goodness, never used for that purpose, yet).

I carry about three feet of duct tape wrapped around a pencil stub, but I've used the pencil more often than the duct tape.

I carry a few safety pins, too. They mostly come in handy to pin damp socks to my pack for drying as I hike. They were once put to emergency use when my tent zipper failed on me in a buggy area.

I used to carry a spare clevis pin, back in the day when all the pack bags were attached to extenal frames. I also used to carry a spare waist belt buckle, but have developed my instincts to protect the buckle to such a high pitch that I don't feel the need for a spare.

I've toyed with the idea of bringing a tiny tube of super glue, but I can't seem to justify it from past eperience, so I preserve it as a vague thought only.

#138730 - 09/13/10 05:35 PM Re: repair kit [Re: aimless]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
I've toyed with the idea of bringing a tiny tube of super glue, but I can't seem to justify it from past experience, so I preserve it as a vague thought only.

Bring it! I bet I've glued myself over 100 times in past years. I play guitar professionally and use it to repair splits and cuts often. In fact, I've got some on my thumb from where I was chasing out some threads on a mic stand and poked myself, Saturday night. Superglue is very common in music circles.
Backpacking, I've used it to repair cactus spine punctures...in me, and in platypus bags. It repairs cloth rips and just about anything else. It's amazingly cheap and a great lightweight fix.

#138732 - 09/13/10 05:51 PM Re: repair kit [Re: Dryer]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Dryer
Superglue is very common in music circles.

Sure enough, most all my bluegrasser friends put a drop on their fingertips when they get raw after playing for hours and hours (Those guys don't know when to go to bed! wink

"You want to go where?"

#138737 - 09/13/10 08:36 PM Re: repair kit [Re: aimless]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Originally Posted By aimless
I used to carry a spare clevis pin, back in the day when all the pack bags were attached to extenal frames

Me too, but the one time I actually broke one, I wound up repairing it with a length of shoelace instead. 7 years later, that shoelace is still holding.

#139018 - 09/20/10 10:18 AM Re: repair kit [Re: phat]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I always carry the thermarest patch kit now. It's not that heavy and can be used for all sorts of applications. Haven't used it to patch a mattress yet but it worked great to hold my wife's boots together when the soles were coming off. I think my middle name should have been jury rig...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum