Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132404 - 04/20/10 03:25 PM new to hiking/backpacking
beaver#1 Offline

Loc: north east texas
hello all, my name is dustin and me and my wife are starting to get into this kind of stuff. we have all our gear except for a few small things. i was thinking about trying the cross timber trail in north texas. would this be an ok trail to start on? thanks Dustin Parker

#132422 - 04/20/10 09:05 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I don't know that trail, but I would suggest that you try something that isn't too long or hard at first. I'd say 4-6 miles, and not all uphill. The ideal first trip is one that let's you get used to the equipment, get a sense of how everything works...and also is close enough to the car that if the doodoo really hits the fan, you can hike out and save your sorry self for another trip later.

Just a suggestion.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132433 - 04/20/10 09:46 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, your first trip or two should be in the back yard or perhaps a nearby state park. You need to practice using your gear and learn other skills in relatively controlled conditions, where you can bail out if the worst comes to the worst. For instance, practice setting up and taking down your tent numerous times. After dark on a cold, rainy, windy night, holding the instructions in one hand and flashlight in another, is not the time to learn!

As already suggested, you also want to do a few really short trips, just a few miles, before you try anything longer. Consider them "shakedown cruises" to make sure your gear is working for you. These short trips also let you practice skills relatively close to that nice warm car, just in case. Try doing a trip or two under adverse conditions (rain, wind, cold) so you learn how to cope with these conditions while keeping warm and dry.

Doing this will make your first long trip a LOT more rewarding!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/20/10 09:47 PM)

#132436 - 04/20/10 09:55 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By beaver#1
hello all, my name is dustin and me and my wife are starting to get into this kind of stuff. we have all our gear except for a few small things. i was thinking about trying the cross timber trail in north texas. would this be an ok trail to start on? thanks Dustin Parker

+1 what OM said. Whenever I test out major new gear (Tent, Tarp, bag etc) then I usually do it car-camping. However, in the trunk is only my backpack. So I pack like I am going for X amount of days in the wilderness, but the car is only yards away just in case.

Nothing worse than hiking in, even just a short distance, and then realising it has hit the fan and having to hike back out in the dark or spending a cold and miserable night outside-- I can imagine it being worse if you are both beginners.

Stay close, go somewhere you are familer with, have a plan B and stay safe.

#132439 - 04/20/10 10:32 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Beaver#1,

Where in NE Texas are you? The Cross Timbers is a fairly easy trail and you don't have to hike the whole thing (28 miles).
If you are close to Dallas, I can give you a few other places to go for some short hikes with your gear.

You can set up camp at Juniper Point on Friday night and then hike in 5-8 miles on Saturday and pitch camp along the lake (Lake Texoma for those of you not from Texas). Then hike out on Sunday morning.

Many Scout troops use the trail as a training hike for Philmont so you may run into a few. Also, they sometimes schedule cross country races there so check the weekend schedule.

#132449 - 04/20/10 11:19 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You definitely want to talk to Tango61. He'll point you in the right direction. And balzaccom, OregonMouse and ChrisFol have all told what else you really need to know. So, I'll point out that you're not too far from the Ozarks in Arkansas. You'll want to make your way up here if you enjoy your time out.

And remember, it's not about how many miles you hike. It's about being out there and enjoying yourself. So don't make it too much like work. Walk a mile and stop and rest. Stop at every scenic place you come to and spend some time enjoying it.

If you find a perfect spot to spend the night, or several nights, do it. Even if it's only a mile or two from your starting point.

Make it fun for your wife. If she's completely new to this, don't expect her to carry as much weight as you, hike as fast as you, or go as far as you.

Don't get me wrong, there are women here that can leave me in the dust, but my wife is not one of them. So whenever we go out hiking together I make sure we hike at her pace, and that she is enjoying herself too.

And whatever you do, don't expect her to do the cooking wink

Bill

"You want to go where?"

#132490 - 04/21/10 11:47 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi
I found it interesting that you "have most of your gear" and are just "getting into it". smile My bet is that you have been reading and collecting gear, but you are probably a very long way from having "most of your gear". Your gear requirements will change drastically as you become experienced and realise that buying the gear other people use is probably not the right gear for you, but it'll take a season to shake it out.

Bill refers to what we jokingly call "boot in shoulder" syndrome, which is followed by "get me the hell out of here". smile

So as far as camping with the wife/girl friend, goes, unless shes a very tough gal you will want to pay attention to having certain luxuries to make her trip fun and not "icky". Include her favorite hair brush, soap, clean underwear, deodorant, something comfy to sleep on, foul weather gear and she will need warmer clothes and sleeping bag than you, and a clear understanding of wilderness sanitation. A towel is nice, as are sit pads..
Jim, who taken lots of gals camping... smile

#132493 - 04/22/10 02:03 AM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
He's hiking in Texas not in the Himalayas. It is already 517 degrees and 979% humidity there. I think he will be just fine and not need to camp out in his backyard or be ultra cautious as if he was hiking the CDT his first time out.

I lived in the Dallas area for three years. Not much danger of hypothermia this time of year. The only things to consider might be water, thunderstorms, snakes, ticks, and chiggers. Just get out and hike. smile

-Skippy

Edited by skippy (04/22/10 02:05 AM)

#132516 - 04/22/10 04:34 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: skippy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
He does have severe thunderstorms and high winds to worry about, and should practice under those conditions in places he can still bail out until he knows what he is doing! You can get hypothermia at 60* air temperatures if your stuff is soaking wet and it's windy (happened to my daughter); you don't have to be in the high Rockies or the Arctic to get in big trouble!

He'll enjoy longer trips a lot more if he knows how to use his gear and how to keep dry in the rain!

And to the OP--welcome! ! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners or those wanting to lighten their load listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site. (I put this in almost every post because most newbies have found this forum from googling and bypass the home page, which IMHO is one of the most useful references I've ever found!)

#132533 - 04/22/10 06:07 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: beaver#1]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
A good way to get into it is camp at a local campsite (car camp) and take day hikes out and back with some real gear to see what its going to feel like on the trail a few days etc.

#132560 - 04/22/10 09:57 PM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

The main thing about hiking around Lake Texoma is the winds. They come roaring across the lake during a thunderstorm (ts) and turn the beach area into a sand blaster.

We had made camp down in a small cove and a ts came through and sand blasted our dinner - yuk! Fortunately we had pitched our tents up behind a small ridge and they were fine.

Juniper Point is an easy place to park, camp and do day hikes.
I would definitely go in April/May/early June before it gets too hot. IMO, heat takes all the fun out of camping!

#132715 - 04/26/10 11:53 AM Re: new to hiking/backpacking [Re: Jimshaw]
beaver#1 Offline

Loc: north east texas
Well I say just getting into this. I have been on many multiple day camps miles from luxury items. Hiking trails is what I have not done much of. Most of my outdoor experiences have been off trail hunting situations. So saying that I do have have many items that I will need. But of coarse I do not know everything about doing this with my wife or with anyone else for that matter. Usually solo. We have done a few walks with are gear hear on our land and believe to have things working well. I picked that trail for the ability to turn back and it does many campsites that do have facilities. So that's good. Thanks for all of your info. It will help much. Dustin.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum