Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132273 - 04/18/10 01:49 PM Need help on external frame backpack
cubfan64 Offline

I had an opportunity to pick up a nice Jansport external frame backpack at a very reasonable price at a garage sale. I really like it, however there are several parts of the pack that I don't understand exactly what they are for.

I've attached a photograph of it with the parts in question highlighted in yellow.

1) There is a semicircle set of zippered teeth with a zipper pull that has nothing to attach to it. I assume I'm missing something that would have the corresponding teeth so it could be zippered/attached to the back - possibly a hydration pack? Any ideas what this might be?
ear the bottom with several

2) There are 2 clips on each side on the back that appear to connect together, however the lengths are WAYYY short. It appears as though this is where a strap would connect across the back of the full pack to cinch it tight, - so am I missing the extra straps?

3) Lastly, there is the hard rubber portion near the bottom with slits - my assumption is that these are slits where I could attach more items using straps again, but I'm not positive.

Can anyone give me some expert advice? I love the pack, but I want to make sure I'm using every option available to me.

#132277 - 04/18/10 02:29 PM Re: Need help on external frame backpack [Re: cubfan64]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
First, let me say I have no personal familiarity with this pack, so I will be guessing, based only on general knowledge. I think you are basically correct in all your surmises.

The 1) and 2) features are probably related. But even if you knew what your missing piece was, it would still be missing. frown

You could piece together some new straps to fit those 2) clips, if you thought you needed them for something.

AS for 3), you are spot on. That's for adding straps, but I wouldn't strap anything particularly heavy to them. Whatever is hanging out there will bounce as you walk and put a lot of stress on the attachments.

#132278 - 04/18/10 04:23 PM Re: Need help on external frame backpack [Re: cubfan64]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My extremely wild guess (I haven't looked at a Jansport pack for many years) would be that there was an add-on compartment, perhaps a zip-off day pack, that fastened on with that zipper and those clips. I really think that it was meant to detach, or Jansport wouldn't have put a tag on the underneath surface. Whatever it was probably added another pound of weight to the pack itself. Any weight in it would tend to pull the pack away from your back, not a good idea. I very much doubt it was for hydration; water is heavy and should be as close to your back as possible. I suspect the former owner ditched that extra compartment or whatever it was a long time ago, with good reason IMHO.

Re #3, a lot of packs have those stupid heavy plastic things to run straps through. They add to the weight of the pack and are not something you'd want to use. Again, anything tied back there would tend to pull the weight away from your back, and would also catch on brush as you hike.

If it were mine, I'd whack off the excess zipper and clips and (if possible without ruining the fabric it's attached to) the patch, in the interest of reducing weight. But, as we often say here, Your Mileage May Vary!

You have demonstrated very well that it's definitely worth searching for gear in thrift stores and garage sales! But make sure that the pack is comfortable for you with a full load before you take it out on a trip.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/18/10 04:44 PM)

#132286 - 04/18/10 09:22 PM Re: Need help on external frame backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
cubfan64 Offline

Thank you both very much for your help! I was sorta on the right track it looks like, but you both make a good point that anything additional added to the back will definitely cause issues with weight transfer, etc... so I think I'll quit worrying about what was supposed to be attached there smile

Much appreciated!!

#132298 - 04/18/10 11:54 PM Re: Need help on external frame backpack [Re: cubfan64]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Those plastic black tabs on the bottom are useless as the others have pointed out. The get old and crack so go ahead and remove them using a seam ripper or a small pocket knife. Just be careful.

I'd also remove the buckles and make some straps with them.

I'd leave the zipper and find a mating zipper and make a mesh pocket to attach or just sew one on (probably less weight and hassle). It's nice to have a mesh pocket to store wet things in.

My son has carried the Jansport Scout for 5 years now and many miles and loves it. We did upgrade it with a set of shoulder straps and hip pad from the Carson model.

I like the front loading option that yours seems to have.

Nice find!

#132310 - 04/19/10 09:40 AM Re: Need help on external frame backpack [Re: cubfan64]
dzierzak Offline

Loc: WV
Several Jansport models have a zip-off daypack. The zipper and clips are for the daypack. Not having the daypack is no great loss.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum