Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131467 - 03/29/10 07:07 PM Steripen - Reviews needed
WOOKIE Offline

Loc: Southern California
Does anyone own one or has used one? If so what are your opinions? What model stripen works the best or would be recommended? PLZ HELP!

#131470 - 03/29/10 07:11 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By WOOKIE
Does anyone own one or has used one? If so what are your opinions? What model stripen works the best or would be recommended? PLZ HELP!

No direct experience, but backpackinggeartest.org has a few field tests for verious models.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/

#131471 - 03/29/10 07:46 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Did you do a search for "steripen"? Plenty of discussions about it.

#131473 - 03/29/10 07:58 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have been using one for about 4 years now. I have the Adventurer. They are finicky about batteries and you need to read and follow the instructions carefully to use it successfully. Some people, myself included, have arthritis in their hands and can have problems using the switch. Given that, I have had no problems with mine and it has had around five months of field use averaging about three liters treated per day.

#131482 - 03/29/10 08:50 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I had a lot of problems with a Steripen Adventurer and returned it after one trip. First, the switch was so stiff that I couldn't turn it on and off without help--not a good idea when most of my trips are solo. Second, it kept aborting in mid-cycle, forcing me to treat each quart 2-3 times. Third, sitting by a buggy creek stirring and stirring is not my idea of fun. If you're going with a group and you must use the Steripen, then everyone should have their own and treat his/her own water.

When you're looking at the weight, remember the following: A wide-mouth bottle is required, and Nalgene weighs a LOT more than Platypus. Extra batteries are essential, and I wouldn't go out without two extra sets. It's a good idea to take some chlorine dioxide tablets--I've heard enough reports of unreliability that I wouldn't want to trust the Steripen without backup. Add up these essential accessories, and you really haven't saved anything over my 7.5 oz. ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter (unfortunately discontinued). For solo trips, I take just the ClO2 tablets.

#131483 - 03/29/10 09:13 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
lori Offline

I got as far as "needs batteries" and stopped considering it. My headlamp can fail, my camera can die, but I need clean water.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#131484 - 03/29/10 09:20 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I remember the first time my flashlight died at night (amazingly, they never die during the day.) At that moment, I decided that I wouldn't willingly bring along anything else that needs batteries. And, as soon as they came out, I got one of those little keyring type LEDs so I could change the batteries in my main lamp at night.

#131491 - 03/29/10 10:32 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: Pika]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Ditto that. I like my steripen and dislike filters. Batteries are an issue and you might want to bring spares. But if you were a filter person you might want to bring a spare cartridge in case your breaks. So you pick which way you like to do it and prepare for the potential problems your choice entails.

#131492 - 03/29/10 10:53 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: Heber]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Another consideration--the Steripen is not designed to work in murky water. If your water contains tannins or mud, I'd suggest another method.

#131494 - 03/30/10 12:08 AM Re: Steripen - FAST clean water [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I use my Steripen Adventurer ONLY for my water bottle for electrolyte drinks. I use it B/C I often need that bike bottle water FAST.

My backup (mainly only for my hydration bladder) is Katadyn Micropur chlorine dioxide tabs. They keep the bladder & hose "sterile".

Filters are SO '90s.

#131498 - 03/30/10 02:52 AM Re: Steripen - FAST clean water [Re: 300winmag]
WOOKIE Offline

Loc: Southern California
being that i hike near streams and fast moving water i dont think murky water is much of an issue but i also read somewhere that id the water has low salt content this will cause problems as well.

anyone able to confirm/deny?

or maby this was a problem with the 1st model because this year steripen is coming out with a new model steripen adventurer opti i think.

#131507 - 03/30/10 09:20 AM Re: Steripen - FAST clean water [Re: WOOKIE]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The low or high salt content of water should have no effect at all on the way the Steripen works.

The salt content will effect the electrical conductivity (EC) of the water and can also have an effect on the taste. UV treatment does not require any level of EC to work; it does require clear water.

If the salt content is too high, alkaline for example, the water will have a bitter taste and can give one a fair case of the "green apple quickstep". If the wrong salts are present (eg. arsenic, selenium) the water can be poisonous.

#131538 - 03/30/10 03:52 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
if you search steripen this topic has been covered MANY times already.

#131619 - 03/31/10 06:02 PM Re: Steripen - Reviews needed [Re: WOOKIE]
Randy Offline

Loc: MN, USA
I have the Steripen Adventurer and have been giving a try on my last few trips. I used the Hiker Pro filter for years but was looking for a lighter alternative and was tired of the cost of the replacement filters. Although I find the Steripen easy to use, and have had no complaints yet, I do worry about durability. I bring backup tablets just in case. Take a look at the pictures at the bottom of this SHT trip report for the water I was drinking. I was using the Steripen and had a hard time with the colored water. Not sure if my filter would have made any difference, but it did cause me to wish I had the filter on this trip!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum