Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128966 - 02/16/10 05:05 PM Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there?
Levi Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I'm looking for a good +/- 4000cc 3 poundish pack to start my light weight gear collection.

Thanks,
Levi

#128971 - 02/16/10 06:01 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
4x4Dragon Offline

Loc: Lexington, SC
Originally Posted By Levi
I'm looking for a good +/- 4000cc 3 poundish pack to start my light weight gear collection.

Thanks,
Levi

Hi Levi,

I've got a prototype pack called the Northern Lite made by ElementalHorizons. it has served me well and only has a slight cosmetic tear in the fabric(just a tear in the fabric that covers the stay pockets.... purely cosmetic, does not effect function at all.) that I'm looking to 'unload'. not sure if it's exactly 4000cc but it is pretty room for a pack of it's weight and VERY well built. It's actually too roomy for me and that's the only reason I've moved on....to a smaller, unfortuneatly not lighter frown pack.

Matthew, the maker, works with George of AntiGravityGear.com so it's got some good backing.

here's the web page:
http://elementalhorizons.com/packs.html

Anyways, lemme know if you're interested. btw, being a 'prototype' mine is actually a tad lighter in weight i think.

#128977 - 02/16/10 08:02 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
REI had the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 on sale for $125 last week, but I don't see it now. I already have one, and wish I had a second. You may want to look around on the web some - the 08-09 models should be available as close-outs.

Andy

#128981 - 02/16/10 09:12 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Andy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I've never seen anyone else talk about these packs, but we got a couple of Eureka Getaway 3900 packs that have served us really well for over 200 miles, and show almost no wear. They weigh 3 lbs 6 oz, and cost us under $65 retail.

Quite a deal, if you ask us!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#128996 - 02/16/10 10:56 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I love my stayless GoLite Pinnacle.

You can get this, if male, for about $140.

$40 more for 400 more cubic inches than what you wanted ain't bad.

Or if you're a female, for about $98.

I used to make fun of GoLite, now I embrace them.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#128997 - 02/16/10 11:01 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: kevonionia]
ADKDustin Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Mind me asking how the Pinnacle works for you? I've been really close to ordering and trying one, but I'm in the process of shedding weight and really need to lose my 7 lbs Kelty Redcloud. Then I read a few reviews that the pack isn't comfortable once you get around 30 lbs because of the lack of stays. Any comment on this?

#129005 - 02/17/10 01:51 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: ADKDustin]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
ADKDustin:

Well, the whole point of this forum is shedding pounds. And my last bp with it I was down in the 28-30 pound range at the start of the hike. Despite having no stays, I was VERY comfortable with it at the start and even more so as the pounds went and the food was eaten over the course of the hike. I've used it for a couple dayhike snowshoes with it over the winter, and even more impressed. I've got a camera keyhole gizmo that replaced the sternum strap, and lug a DSLR Canon Xsi on the front straps, and still find it performing well. I'm sold on a stayless pack -- others might not be.

I had a 6-lb-plus Kelty RedCloud a while back; it seems like ancient history now and I'd never go back to a pack that heavy. I've used a bendable kitchen cutting board as a sort of removable stay thing placed in the pack that works as a multitask dinner food staging board/cutting board at dinner. That's the only support I've needed.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#129009 - 02/17/10 07:20 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I have a Gossamer Gear G4 pack that has worked well for me. 4000ci, frameless, weighs in at 16.1 oz with hip belt padding (I use spare socks for shoulder strap padding). Found it on sale at GG's website for $80 a while back, and if you're a MYOG kinda person, Glen has always posted the plans for it on the website.

#129012 - 02/17/10 08:05 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: ADKDustin]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Is this the Dustin from the adk forums? If so, hey. Regardless, welcome to backpacking.net.

#129013 - 02/17/10 08:40 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: DTape]
Levi Offline

Thanks all for the replies, I am suprised to get so many quality responses so quickly.

#129024 - 02/17/10 10:25 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Look at the Six Moon Designs Starlite and Traveler. Be sure to get the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) stays. With those these packs will easily carry up to 35 lbs. I've done up to 37. I have the discontinued (and smaller) Comet (the Starlite's little brother), and absolutely love it! It's of course over your budget, but there are often used models of one or the other floating around.

Of course pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so Your Mileage May Vary!

#129028 - 02/17/10 10:45 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: OregonMouse]
Levi Offline

What exactly are "stays"?

#129032 - 02/17/10 10:55 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
lori Offline

Stays are either carbon fiber rods or aluminum bars/rods that go in the back panel of the pack - many ultralite packs use these instead of the big complicated frames you see on name brand packs.

I have a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus - the previous models had carbon fiber rods and a foam pad (either your sleeping pad or a sit pad) for the back panel. Now they use an aluminum rod shaped to the curve of the back. It handles up to 30 pounds and 4200 cu in of volume. It weighs around 22 oz. Very nice pack. My sweet spot for it is right around 20 lbs but it will only start to wear on my (girlie) hips after 25 lbs.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129033 - 02/17/10 10:55 AM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
stays are structural supports added to increase the support of the pack. They are usually made from either aluminum or plastic. They serve a similar function as their namesake from antique womens' corsets.

#129038 - 02/17/10 12:23 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: DTape]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Just another pack out there to consider for an additional $25-- Gossamer Gear's G4. It has a 66L capacity, carries 30lbs and weighs about 1Lbs. This obviously has no stays, but you can you use your sleeping pad as an additional frame.

As mentioned previously, a correctly fitting pack is a personal decision. What works for any one of us, may not feel right to you and vice-versa. Head out to your local outfitters, get measured and load up some packs to get a feel of what is comfortable for you.

#129039 - 02/17/10 12:57 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: ChrisFol]
Roocketman Offline

I talked with the guys at GG, and mentioned putting Mariposa stays in a G4. They said it was easy, when you are building the G4. All you need to is to make a "sleeve" out of 1 1/2 or 2 inch nylon webbing and sew that into the bag as you make it.

They cautioned that you need to "smooth" the end of the stays with something to keep the stay ends from rubbing their way through the nylon web sleeve.

If you try to put stays in an already built pack, you have to usually do some disassembly and reassembly in order to sew the sleeve and stay into the back of the pack.

#129041 - 02/17/10 01:32 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Roocketman]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Levi, if you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, including low-budget alternatives.

These articles will tell you lots about packs and their structure and fitting and different types!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/17/10 01:33 PM)

#129047 - 02/17/10 01:55 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: OregonMouse]
Levi Offline

You guys and gals are awesome.

#129319 - 02/22/10 02:10 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Another vote for the Pinnacle. I modified mine slightly (removing the inside water reservoir pocket and shortening the straps) so that the mens large weighs just 24.8 oz. Even with the thinly padded straps I find it to be more comfortable than my Osprey Aether and significantly lighter. I use my sit pad/sleeve as a back pad (inside the pack) which also provides some rigidity.

rionada

#129354 - 02/22/10 09:48 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: ADKDustin]
skinewmexico Offline

Originally Posted By ADKDustin
Mind me asking how the Pinnacle works for you? I've been really close to ordering and trying one, but I'm in the process of shedding weight and really need to lose my 7 lbs Kelty Redcloud. Then I read a few reviews that the pack isn't comfortable once you get around 30 lbs because of the lack of stays. Any comment on this?

My Pinnacle gets pretty uncomfortable at 30. To go that route, you need to have the rest of your gear a lot lighter too, and then the Pinnacle is way too big (you'd need a Jam2). I put a piece of coroplast in the backpad of mine and it transfers weight better. You've got to look at what you carry as a lightweight system, and it's probably easier to buy your pack last. Sunnyside sports has good deals on GoLite from time to time, or GoLite was having a factory sale a week or so ago (and SAC had the z-65 earlier today for $109). Watch the forums, and try to buy used and make sure you like it. Personally, I've gone to ULA when I have a lot of water to carry, or Gossamer Gear when I don't.

#130213 - 03/05/10 02:01 PM Re: Any good 4000cc 3lb packs < $100 out there? [Re: Levi]
Levi Offline

Thanks so much for all of the information, I bought the Golite Pinnacle for 120 and it will be delivered in time for my weekend camp next week!!

http://www.rscycle.com/GoLite-Pinnacle-Pack-Mens

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum