Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130086 - 03/04/10 03:45 PM Nemo vs. Big Agnes
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
So I have narrowed down my choices for a new tent for this season. I am thinking either the BA FlyCreek UL1 or the Nemo Meta 1P. The BA is freestanding, double walled and a bit wider. But I use trek poles which go with the Nemo that uses one of them. It is quite a bit taller and longer with a MUCH bigger vestibule. They both weigh the same but the Nemo is about $80 cheaper. The BA is a more proven design but I am not sure how important the freestanding is to me. I only get out to about 4-6 weekenders/overnighters a season and I try to do them in spring/fall when humidity isnt so much of an issue (for the whole double vs single wall convo). I am 5'8" around 160lbs so I am not a big dude but I do like a little space to move.

What would you guys go with? Any help would be awesome.

#130090 - 03/04/10 04:32 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
lori Offline

I will be of no help whatsoever in deciding between these two tents. smile

Mostly because I have a 20 oz TarpTent Sublite that weighs less than either and better matches what I intend to use it for. Also is much less expensive than either of those. If I ever get to the point that 20 oz is not light enough, I would get a ZPacks solo hexamid. That super light aspect is the only thing that would drive me out of my hammock/tarp setup, which is my go-to shelter most of the time.

But you may not be going where I go or doing what I do. What seasons and locations are you looking to use this in? That might help folks make suggestions. Sometimes you do need a double wall tent.

Here are some reviews by a guy who seems to test a whole ton of tents.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm09_nemo_meta.html
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm09_fly_creek_ul2.html (I know that's the 2 person, but same basic tent)

(I am, btw, about the same size and weight as you.)

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130100 - 03/04/10 05:37 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
CWF Offline

The Nemo is considerably larger than the BA with more headroom and length. You will almost always have more issues with single walled shelters than double walled shelters, but the ventilation options are quite good with the Nemo.

Of note, the Nemo is more waterproof than the Tarptent and has a more robust floor.

#130115 - 03/04/10 06:26 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
glsmaverick Offline

Well I wish I could read those reviews but I am not going to pay for it. Keeps any suggestions coming. Thanks

#130117 - 03/04/10 06:39 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
lori Offline

Sorry, didn't realize they were in the members only section. They weren't flagged as such.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130119 - 03/04/10 06:57 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Check out the reviews at
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/fly-creek-ul1/
I wrote the 4-star review. I have this tent and like it. It is not the tent for everyone but it works well for my purposes. After trying several single-wall tents, I have decided that I don't want to have to deal with condensation; even occasionally. I have used the Fly Creek now for around 50 nights out and have never had condensation problems. Rain in the entrance, yes, but condensation ,no. It is much better in wind than is my other tent, the SMD Luna Solo. It only weighs a few ounces more as well.

#130121 - 03/04/10 07:39 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: Pika]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
One of the problems I find with tents is the US use of the term. What you call a "tent" everybody else calls it an inner, the tent to us is the all thing including bit the keeps rain and wind at bay ...
I say that because the BA has an almost freestanding inner (two pegs required) but by the time you put the fly on it takes another 9 to make it work. (that is to keep the fly away from the inner to allow air flow as well as to keep it in place)
In comparison the non freestanding TT Moment will stand up with just two, vestibule and all.
The other point is that if you are in a rain prone area, inner up first will result in a wet set up. That will dry off when inside but will cause the dreaded condensation bit , and that you cannot wipe off (till you dismantle it) as you do in a single wall shelter
On the other hand, trekking pole supported tents, like the SMD Lunar Solo and the very similar Nemo, need more real estate...
Franco

#130122 - 03/04/10 07:45 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You can make the Fly Creek freestanding by fastening the loops over the ends of a trekking pole to hold the foot open. (Stole that little trick from TarpTent, I did!)

#130128 - 03/04/10 08:04 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
glsmaverick Offline

Just to let u guys know I live in Michigan. My adventures range throughout the state UP included and occassionally down to the smokies or the gorge in KY. So I definitely see condensation due to 80F days and 60F nights all summer in MI. But like I said I usually like to get all my trips in during spring and fall to avoid this stuff. I appreciate the info, but I am still torn. I'll keep researching too!

#130203 - 03/05/10 12:24 PM Re: Nemo vs. Big Agnes [Re: glsmaverick]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
I would go with neither. grin

I like the Tarptent Moment and the Scarp 1 or 2 better. I plan to purchase a Scarp 2 for both my solo and accompanied hikes, also because I intend to use it on winter mountain trips in addition to the other seasons.

Ok, if I had to choose one of those two, it would be the Nemo due to headroom, vestibule, and the rain issue with the BA door.

Edited by ohiohiker (03/05/10 12:26 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum