Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128290 - 02/06/10 07:36 PM Bargain Bag
pupuplader Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Co.
I am looking for a bargain sleeping bag. I dont have a bag right now and usually just sleep in my gear, a little crazy for winter camping in colorado. So I think that it might be a good idea to finally get a bag. I only have $100-130 to spend. So far I have been looking at the Marmot trestles bags.

Any suggestions on other options or if any one has experience with the trestles bags please let me know.

Thanks

#128291 - 02/06/10 07:45 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

You haven't really said what temp range you're looking for, etc.
but assuming you're looking for an ok three season bag that isn't obnoxiously heavy..

http://www.rei.com/product/780902

that's on sale, and that's a pretty decent price for what it is.

Browse my pictures

#128292 - 02/06/10 07:54 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
You might want to take a look at Sierra Trading Post they usually have some good deals on bags.

#128293 - 02/06/10 08:10 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

I think a bag somewhere along the lines of 25-35 F. However, I have never bought a bag before so I am not so sure about those numbers. The REI Sub Kilo looks like a great deal though.

#128298 - 02/06/10 10:59 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

Should I get the large or regular. I am 5'10" so the regular I think would be better, but buying online is a little difficult.

#128302 - 02/07/10 12:18 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just so you know, everyone wants the following in their sleeping bag:
Warm
Light
Cheap

Unfortunately, there's no way you can get all three!

The sleeping bag should be a couple of inches longer than you are to allow foot wiggle room. Also important, check the girth of the sleeping bag (at shoulders, hips and feet) against your own girth at those points, while wearing your insulating clothing. You want to be able to wear extra clothing inside the bag (to extend its temperature rating) without compressing the insulation.

#128304 - 02/07/10 12:27 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
jps1021 Offline

Loc: Vegas
Originally Posted By pupuplader
Should I get the large or regular. I am 5'10" so the regular I think would be better, but buying online is a little difficult.

I have an REI Kilo Flash +40 bag, which is essentially the same bag, just a different temperature rating and it is a tight bag (both bags are only 57" wide at the shoulders). However, I am 5'10" and 150lb and it's perfect for me. The length of the bag (regular) will be fine, just a matter of how thick you are up top and if you will be ok being relatively restricted in the bag.

I'm actually looking to get one of the +20s. I've got the page bookmarked and just waiting for the bag to come down in price a bit more. Online hunting!

#128307 - 02/07/10 12:38 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Pupuplader

I agree with the advise given. The fit of your sleeping bag is very important and since you are on the borderline of regular and long I would call into your local outfitters and try out a few bags for size. The other important note is the shoulder girth, measure what you are, and again, go into a few stores and try out bags just for their size-- so you know what works and what doesn't. This way you can shop online, without any issues.

You say that you are in Colorado and if that is where you are doing most of your 3-season camping then I would be looking at a 15-25 degree bag, just because in spring, summer or fall you could wake up to frost on the ground and 30/35 bag isn't going to cut it without layering, and a 10, 5 or zero degree bag is going to be heavy and overkill.

For $100-$150 The REI Sub Kilo +20 is an excellent buy, however if you keep checking the buy/sell forums then you can get even better deals on some used bags.

But before you do anything-- go and get measured and try out some bags.

#128308 - 02/07/10 12:41 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
If you get the long there will be more open space inside the bag and you will not be as warm. The long will also be heavier. At 5' 10" you should be fine with the regular. It will be lighter and warmer.

Actually I just checked and you are out of luck. The only length left is the long.

#128309 - 02/07/10 12:42 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

Just measured my chest and I am at 49" I have used a friends bag before that was smaller and it wasnt so much a big deal. Do you think that it will go lower than %40 off?

#128313 - 02/07/10 02:00 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
phat Offline

They don't come cheaper than that.

You're probably on the borderline for the long, you could always stuff clothing in the foot and buy the long.

Me I'm 5'11" and I actually get a long, but again, right on
the borderline. if you are somewhere near an REI it doesn't hurt to go into REI to try on the bag, then you can buy the sale one online - Of course you could always return it.

Browse my pictures

#128314 - 02/07/10 02:01 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: phat]
phat Offline

although it appears the regular is also on sale.

http://www.rei.com/product/780903
Browse my pictures

#128316 - 02/07/10 02:23 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

I like that bag so tomorrow I will go in and see how they fit. Thanks all for the help. Now I just need a tent smile

#128320 - 02/07/10 08:29 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: phat]
jps1021 Offline

Loc: Vegas
Originally Posted By phat

They don't come cheaper than that.

You're probably on the borderline for the long, you could always stuff clothing in the foot and buy the long.

Yes, $139 is a great price, then again the Kilo Flash +40 I have finished out on REI at $70+! Luckily, since I wasn't in the market for a bag in Winter 08, I found someone selling one on eBay and got it for $73 shipped. And that bag was only used once or twice like they said; absolutely perfect condition. So happy I found it! For me, given that I already have 3 bags, I can wait and see if the price does come down more before pulling the trigger. Others in need of a bag may want to get it now before it's gone!

As for the length, both Pup and I are 5'10". I used to think that the extra space was good, but extra space equals cold pockets, unless you do stuff clothes in the bottom of the bag. But, I sleep in the most that I'll be wearing the next day (ok, maybe a shell layer to add), so no need for the extra space for me. At 5'10" you've got all the length you need in the regular, Pup. If you want the extra space option, go with the long. Plus, if you know the shoulder width of 57" will do you good, Go for it! It will definitely be be a purchase you'll be happy with.

#128325 - 02/07/10 11:19 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
OregonMouse Offline

Quote:
Do you think that it will go lower than %40 off?

This bag was originally about $250, so it's a lot more than 40% off. It's a closeout model they're trying to get rid of. REI did have a 20% off coupon for anything in the Outlet last fall (I got this bag for my oldest grandson), but they have lowered the price since then so it's about the price I paid with the coupon. This price is about the same as the Campmor down bag (usually recommended for those with low budgets), but the Sub-Kilo is lighter and higher quality down.

I've read reports that the Sub-Kilo is nearer a 25-30 F bag rather than 20. Still a good deal, though. The Campmor bag I mentioned is more like a 35* bag according to reviews.

You need to measure not just your chest but around your arms at the shoulders (presumably you'll want to move your arms inside the bag laugh ) over your insulation layers (which you may want to wear inside the bag on below-freezing nights). I doubt you'll find this model in the store, but look for a bag with similar girth measurement. REI's current model, the Halo, has the same shoulder girth--the specs for both bags say 59". If you're relatively close to a REI store, you can order the bag shipped to the store (free shipping that way) and return it if it doesn't fit or feels uncomfortable. If it doesn't work out, you're out only your trip to the store.

I'm contemplating getting a women's model for my granddaughter, even though she's definitely not ready for down yet!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/07/10 11:32 AM)
Edit Reason: add more info for OP

#128326 - 02/07/10 11:47 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: OregonMouse]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Quote:
Do you think that it will go lower than %40 off?

This bag was originally about $250, so it's a lot more than 40% off. It's a closeout model they're trying to get rid of. REI did have a 20% off coupon for anything in the Outlet last fall (I got this bag for my oldest grandson), but they have lowered the price since then so it's about the price I paid with the coupon. This price is about the same as the Campmor down bag (usually recommended for those with low budgets), but the Sub-Kilo is lighter and higher quality down.

I've read reports that the Sub-Kilo is nearer a 25-30 F bag rather than 20. Still a good deal, though. The Campmor bag I mentioned is more like a 35* bag according to reviews.

I couldn't agree more, this bag is probably the best bag out there for a sub $150 budget. In fact I have just ordered my brother in law the long version and with his 20% off coupon the bag cost around $120, which is a steal for a long, 750 fill down bag,weighing only 2lbs. Also its 20-30 degree rating is great for 3-season Colorado.

At the end of the day REI is a great place to pick up your first bag, mainly because of their no hassles return policy and that you can order anything from their website and get it delivered to the store for free and if it doesn't work, it costs you nothing to return it and the no restocking fee is a nice bonus also.

Edited by ChrisFol (02/07/10 12:58 PM)

#128327 - 02/07/10 12:43 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

Just ordered the Kilo Sub Reg. Had it shipped free to the store so if there are any problems with it I can return it with no problem.

Thanks all for the advice it was much appreciated.

#128328 - 02/07/10 12:46 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

I have never heard about the one time membership discount of %20.

#128341 - 02/07/10 03:33 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
OregonMouse Offline

The 20% off coupons for REI members are for a limited time only and good only on regular-priced stuff, not on items marked down or on outlet items (there are other restrictions, too--usually they aren't good on electronic items like GPSs and PLBs). There are usually about 3-4 a year. The next one will come out with the 2009 dividend, which I've been told will be late March this year (as usual, mine won't be more than a dollar or two). There was a 20% coupon for Outlet items in November, which I've never seen before. However, I believe it was good only for about 10 days. And for these sleeping bags, the current price is about what I paid with the coupon in November.

When the bag arrives, get inside it with your insulating clothing on and see if it's comfortable for you.

#128436 - 02/08/10 06:39 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: OregonMouse]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
I bought one of the REI Sub-Kilo bags as a "loaner" bag. Compares well to my Marmot bag, overall.

-Andy

#128548 - 02/10/10 12:36 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Have you looked at Campmor? Not sure what your weight/cost consideration is, or your gender, but I looked at what they have left on sale and there were a couple good Marmot or Mountain Hardware bags there. Not down, though...

#128654 - 02/11/10 09:44 PM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

REI got the bag in today, I will pick it up tomorrow. Right in time to test it out on the weekend. Ill let you all know how it goes.

#128672 - 02/12/10 01:30 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: pupuplader]
OregonMouse Offline

Waiting to hear from you, pupuplader! I bought a SubKilo for my grandson who will be 10 in April, which I'm holding onto until the birthday. I know he'll be over 6 ft. in another 5 years, so I bought a long. I'm considering buying the women's model for his 8-year-old sister, although she is not ready for a down bag yet! If this is as good a bargain as I've been led to believe by users, then it will be a good thing.

This is not a winter bag, though, so I hope you are bringing lots of supplemental insulation in some form or other--especially lots of insulating pad underneath!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/12/10 01:32 AM)

#128683 - 02/12/10 03:10 AM Re: Bargain Bag [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Looks like you got one of the last ones; men's and women's SubKilos seem to be all gone! I hope it works well for you!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 397 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum