Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127830 - 02/01/10 11:04 PM Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ?
medicjimr Offline

Loc: Kittanning, Pa
Ok I am having a hard time deciding . I spoke with Chris the owner at ULA with issues on which ULA to get He suggested the catalyst since I am downsizing the problem is I have the 5000Cubic In Kelty Red cloud now and the Catalyst is 4600 CI so I am only dropping 400 CI compared to Circuit 4200 which I loose another 400 CU total 800. I want to drop pack size and weight lets start with major gear I will carry. Bag Montbell SS # 2 hugger 650 fill down 2lbs , Tent yes tent hate bugs Kelty Grand Mesa II 3 lbs my food is compact I bring dehydrated meals maybe 5 lbs have a texasport 3 qt pot and cat Can stove with wind screen and stand and fuel all 1.5 lbs a Hiker Pro filter a change of socks underwear and a pear of sweats a Rain/ wind jacket and maybe a fleece top. a 32 oz powerade bottle of water and MT 2 lt platapus water jug for camp. I will have weight below 40 lbs I am afraid I may buy the Catalyst then down the road it's really two big and should have bought the circuit I hate decisions like this . I think oh hell spend the extra 50 and you will have the extra room if needed for winter or extended restock trips. any suggestions

#127832 - 02/01/10 11:19 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
Just curious if you're the guy on Youtube with gear postings? I've watched a few of the videos and it was interesting to watch you evolve in your gear choices. I have evolved as well from when I first started as well as many of us have. Still working on it.

I personally would go with the smaller pack as for some people it is hard not to fill the pack.

#127833 - 02/01/10 11:24 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: skippy]
medicjimr Offline

Yes I am He, I have base camp gear and light weight gear I want to get for those long backpacking trips. If I am only hiking in 5 miles no biggy I am setting up camp and bushcrafting I take the axe etc. but if I am going to be doing 10 miles plus a day and a 70 plus something trail I want light for speed and to make the trip more enjoyable.

#127836 - 02/01/10 11:53 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Medicjimr
Tough one.
Even tougher now that they have the same roll top closure, something that I would have liked in my (older) Circuit.
I like the Circuit up to around 25lbs (very comfy) but it does carry 35lbs without too much effort (or pain) so I am pretty confident that the Catalyst will do a bit better again.
Unfortunately the point about filling the pack is true. I had the same pack full on a 3 day walk as I did on a 7 day walk. If there is space somehow you feel the need to use it...
Anyway, keep in mind that the main compartment is only 200cu in bigger, the rest is in the external pockets none of which have to be compressed when not in use.
Franco

#127838 - 02/02/10 01:05 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: Franco]
skinewmexico Offline

I use my Circuit more, because my Catalyst is just giant. But I'm not carrying a 3 quart pot and a Hiker pro either. I vote for the Circuit, with the added stay. Carry your tent in an outside pocket. And a smaller pack will force you to refine your gear down. Hopefully.

Edited by skinewmexico (02/02/10 01:07 AM)

#127849 - 02/02/10 07:20 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: skinewmexico]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
Circuit. It might be a tighter squeeze now but as you lighten up you'll end up buying a smaller and lighter pack anyway. Might as well try to stay ahead of the curve!

I use a Circuit now, and am hoping to buy an Ohm soon. Even for 10-day solo trips, I think the Circuit is a bit big for me now.

#127851 - 02/02/10 08:55 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Catalyst. I had a Golite Gust at I believe 4500 ci, had up to 37 lbs. one trip in early Fall. It usually had right around 30-32 lbs. of gear/food for a week trip. I have down sized some with a 4300 ci Six Moon Designs Starlight pack, but still have a 5500 ci pack for winter trips. With the Starlight, I really don't like all the external space, gear isn't protected too well but I have the pack, so I am dealing with it, not a deal breaker. Enjoy your new pack, whichever one you get.

#127852 - 02/02/10 09:35 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: hikerduane]
medicjimr Offline

Thanks guys I have another week until I order to decide for sure thanks for the pointers and suggestions I appreciate it.

#127854 - 02/02/10 09:46 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: mmendell]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Of course, if you replace the big tent with a tarptent or six moon designs jobby (half the weight and still no bugs) - lose the 3 quart pot and go with something like a small 3 cup solo pot. and lose the filter and go aquamira - well, now you may want the smaller pack.

Then again, you also want the pack to carry what you're carrying now too..

Don't think there is a bad choice to be made there, however.
Browse my pictures

#127863 - 02/02/10 12:03 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: phat]
medicjimr Offline

Of course, if you replace the big tent with a tarptent or six moon designs jobby (half the weight and still no bugs) - lose the 3 quart pot and go with something like a small 3 cup solo pot. and lose the filter and go aquamira - well, now you may want the smaller pack.

Then again, you also want the pack to carry what you're carrying now too..

Don't think there is a bad choice to be made there, however.
[/quote]

I am thinking of replacing the pot but I do pasta allot it's pre cooked and dehydrated but still needs to boil awhile and it expands as you well know so Like the extra room the pot I have provides plus fuel windscreen stove etc fits all inside the pot. The tent I have looked at the others mentioned and would only save 1 lb so can't see spending 3 bills on a new tent for a lb. And I may get a lighter filter gravity fed I hate iodine as much as bugs lol. Thanks for advice. I think I am going with the Catalyst after watching a video on youtube with it in use

Edited by medicjimr (02/02/10 12:06 PM)

#127865 - 02/02/10 12:22 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By medicjimr

And I may get a lighter filter gravity fed I hate iodine as much as bugs lol.

I also detest iodine. Do your homework. Aquamira is not iodine. It's chlorine dioxide, same as in the majority of municipal water systems.
Browse my pictures

#127866 - 02/02/10 12:22 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By medicjimr

I am thinking of replacing the pot but I do pasta allot it's pre cooked and dehydrated but still needs to boil awhile and it expands as you well know so Like the extra room the pot I have provides plus fuel windscreen stove etc fits all inside the pot. The tent I have looked at the others mentioned and would only save 1 lb so can't see spending 3 bills on a new tent for a lb. And I may get a lighter filter gravity fed I hate iodine as much as bugs lol. Thanks for advice. I think I am going with the Catalyst after watching a video on youtube with it in use

When you are deciding on new equipment, it is not just the weight that you should focus on; you also need to look at the size of the item because this also factors into how big a pack you need.

Looking at the specs of your Kelty GM II, it weighs 4lbs 2oz and packs down to 20x7. My TT Contrail weighs about 1lbs 5oz and packs down 14x4. That is not only a big saving in weight, but also a gain of 9 additional inches in my pack.

The same applies to your pot. You could have the lightest equipment in the world, but if it is also big and bulky, then you are will still need a bigger pack.

#127869 - 02/02/10 01:08 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I live on well water, don't care for Aquamira, but have only had to drink it once or twice, just stick to the Sierra for long trips or use a First Need for weekend trips closer to home or elsewhere.

#127870 - 02/02/10 01:22 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: hikerduane]
medicjimr Offline

I stand corrected on aquamira and the tent makes sense thanks again guys.

#128087 - 02/04/10 11:32 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
Jeff Offline

Loc: Nevada
I have both. I find the Catalyst useful when I need to carry my bigger
Bearacade Expedition bear can on trips with more than a weeks worth
of food or for colder weather trips. The circuit is great for 1 week trips
or less with a smaller or no bear can. I found the comfort level of
the packs the same. The big difference is the volume. The circuit forces
me to be more disciplined regarding the bulk of my gear.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff (02/04/10 11:33 AM)

#128097 - 02/04/10 02:13 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: Jeff]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I would go circuit
Reasons:
1. Its light, but can handle an average base weight.
2. Its a good size to work your pack size down.
3. Cool features.

I have a FanaticFringe pack, thats super light, 13oz? I like it for weekend trips but did NOT like carrying 5 days of food in it...plus water weight it down right sucks. Its totally do able but it really feels like its gonna rip if I keep packing loads like that. The circuit weight only a pound more but the weight gain is well worth it. Plus there is nothing like have a good support system.

I may try the OHM, but the Circuit would over be more useful.

#128171 - 02/05/10 03:05 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: skippy]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Personally I'd go with the smaller pack and extra stay. At that the Circuit is still a fairly large pack by UL standards.

IF you need more space you can always do what I've done on my REI Cruise UL 60: namely buy aftermarket side pockets and add them to the sides of the pack for long trips.

But, coming from a guy who uses a 1 liter cook pot (considered big by many ULers), your pot is WAY too big.

And when you get a proper UL tent you'll have a lot more room in your pack.

****Then there is the time tested advice to "Get all your gear first THEN buy the pack that it fits in."

#128185 - 02/05/10 05:08 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: 300winmag]
medicjimr Offline

Well I ordered the catalyst should be here next week. With the the 3 qt pot I have a 1 1/2 gt I am going to try to get to work for me to downsize on bulk. I like the wider pots over the taller ones for easy of eating from and they work better with alcohol stoves quicker boil time with better heat distribution. The tent I will keep I like it and the weight isn't too bad I like a sturdy tent what I have read the tarp tents are a pain to get and keep taunt. Thanks for all the feed back.

#128191 - 02/05/10 05:39 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
"I have read the tarp tents are a pain to get and keep taunt"
The problem with the forums is that we do not know the level of competence of the people that post reviews.
Unfortunately most tend to think that the longer they do something the closer they are at being an "expert". In that case half of the population over 30 should be a qualified "chef" The sad truth is that just as some will never be able to cook others just cannot get the idea on how a tent should be set up. No offence...
BTW, anyone can set up the Moment...
Franco

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727

#128214 - 02/05/10 10:29 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: Franco]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't find Tarptents a pain at all. I have two different models the Squall 2 and Rainshadow, plus the Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall Classic, designed by Henry Shires but sewn by Gossamer Gear.

Silnylon does stretch a little when wet, but the guylines can easily be tightened from inside the tent in a few seconds.

I've found them incredibly easy to set up, far more so than a double-wall tent. It's also easy to set them up in a rainstorm while keeping the inside dry. There's nothing complex or difficult about them--and you're talking to the woman here who after 3 years is still unsuccessfully trying to decipher the instruction book for her digital camera!

#128250 - 02/06/10 01:04 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: OregonMouse]
medicjimr Offline

Well thanks for the in site on the tarp tents I may look into trying one someday already spent too much money this year On new bag and Pack> It would be nice to have less bulk of a tent and not need extra poles etc to lug around.

#128458 - 02/09/10 12:49 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
medicjimr Offline

Well it was ordered and I am just waiting for it to arrive It and other gear I have ordered is stuck in transit thanks to all this snow. Just as long as it gets here. At least my snow peak 450 ti mug made it today.

#128492 - 02/09/10 05:07 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
Another way to shed weight and space is freezer bag cooking. Using a GSI Halulite Tea Kettle. I have a similar old japanese
backpacking kettle and it is great to boil water in. Freezer bag meals are light and pack down small. The tea kettle boils water and retains the heat longer. If extra space is needed look for Granite gear external pockets they attach to the compression straps on packs.

#128496 - 02/09/10 05:53 PM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: Bobc]
medicjimr Offline

Thanks BobC I downsized the pot and cozy lot less bulk Now just waiting for pack to get here to tweak gear some more

#128667 - 02/12/10 01:16 AM Re: Which ULA Catalyst or Circuit ? [Re: medicjimr]
medicjimr Offline

Catalyst came today all I can say is sweet. I am so glad I bought it I am playing with loading it different ways now. Thanks for everyones help.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum