Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127532 - 01/28/10 07:09 PM How do I keep my filter safe from freezing??
iceman Offline

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
I have a micro fiber water filter (or something like that) and they say not to let it freeze. What am I suppose to filter with in the winter and how do I keep it from freezing. I can sleep with it but, what about hiking and such??

ice----

#127535 - 01/28/10 07:25 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: iceman]
lori Offline

Are you hiking in below 30 temps?

I'd take the filter cartridge out of the filter, pop it in a ziplock, seal it, and carry it in an inner pocket of my parka. It won't freeze instantly when you go to use it.

If you are melting snow for water... just boil the water.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#127558 - 01/29/10 12:54 AM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: lori]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I have an MSR Hyperflow and this is basically what I do. The cartridge goes into a ziplock and into my bag overnight. Since the cartridges are forty bucks it's asmall price to pay to keep it safe and working.

Cheers,

#127586 - 01/29/10 03:14 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: iceman]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My approach: use chemicals (aqua mira for me). Just seems like too much of a PITA to try to keep a filter from freezing.

#127606 - 01/29/10 07:09 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: BrianLe]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Here's my concern: Chemicals (and UV) are fine when the water is relatively warm but when it approaches freezing the reaction time really slows down. I never know how long to extend the contact time before using the water.

I can add that the HyperFlow filter cartridge is really small--about the size of a marking pen--so it doesn't take much room in a sleeping bag. The fussy part is unscrewing the works to take it out. I suppose I could just toss the entire filter in there but then I can tell it's there.

Cheers,

#127624 - 01/29/10 10:21 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As mentioned, if you're melting snow for water, I would leave the filter at home and just take more fuel.

Last fall with those 18* nights I was out in (no snow, but I had to break ice on the stream), the whole filter went into a ziplock bag and into my sleeping bag. I was too busy keeping warm (inadequate pad underneath) even to notice it was there! Actually, it was down at the bottom of my sleeping bag and (with my feet) resting on top of my dog!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/29/10 10:24 PM)

#127652 - 01/30/10 01:13 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: Rick_D]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"Here's my concern: Chemicals (and UV) are fine when the water is relatively warm but when it approaches freezing the reaction time really slows down. I never know how long to extend the contact time before using the water."

Yup, this is a concern. OTOH, my experience even on warm summer days is that the water I'm pulling out of mountain-fed creeks is very cold, and I use chemicals on it then, often not waiting so long before drinking that the water is much warmer. I just extend the "cook" time a bit as a result.

Bottom line for me is that there are issues with any approach (ain't that always the case ...), but waiting a little longer for my chemicals to kill anything nasty isn't usually a big issue. Maybe I carry a little more water a little longer as a result.

Quite a side issue (that I don't really want to open up ...) is the question of whether there are as many water-borne nasties to get us when it's very cold out? Cysts, giardia, etc. Cold weather means less humans about, perhaps also less horses, cattle, other human-related impacts. Wild animals change their patterns to some degree with colder weather. I'm *not* suggesting that it's therefore fine to drink untreated water, but rather that it's always about making a somewhat poorly-informed trade-off between maximal safety on the one hand, and the set of convenience, weight, cost, etc on the other.

Anyway, I'm going with Aqua Mira on the AT starting in just under a month, and will just try to make reasonable choices in "how to use it" along the way in the colder beginning part.

#127654 - 01/30/10 03:59 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: BrianLe]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Brian, I've done the AT thru twice. Been hikin close to fifty years when I did it the first time. I'm fairly sensitive to what is safe to drink. I use AM (actually, Pristine) when I think I need it. First trip (95) I treated relatively little water before VA, Never had a problem. Second trip (05) I was ten years older and more cautious, but still treated less than half my water, and still no problem. Tended to treat most of my water (both times) through the more built up areas, but pretty much gave it up for good in Maine (but DID meet the Beaver on another trip in Maine at another time -- much earlier, had no chemicals, before filters, had to take water where I knew I shouldn't). jcp

#128079 - 02/04/10 06:41 AM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: iceman]
junial007 Offline

Loc: usa
Hey
just go to your local home center and tell them you need a filter for your ice maker. It shouldn't be any more difficult to install than the water line to the ice maker. Mine was less than thirty bucks and took ten minutes to hook up. I just change the filter cartridge once a year.

Thanks!
University Comforter

#128141 - 02/05/10 02:23 AM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: Rick_D]
NiytOwl Offline

Loc: California
So how about using a non-toxic antifreeze, like propylene glycol? (NOT ETHYLENE GLYCOL!!!! That can kill you!) The stuff is good down to -50F and you just pump it through your filter, drain the excess back in the bottle, and your filter will withstand any weather south of the Arctic Circle. Just pump a little water through it before filling your platy if you don't want the "thick" texture to taint your drinking water.

Propylene Glycol really is non-toxic. It's used in cough syrup to make it syrupy without sugar. You probably eat it several times a month without knowing. Stuff is cheap too - around $5 a gallon.

#128153 - 02/05/10 09:17 AM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: NiytOwl]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“propylene glycol” (pg)

Wow Niyty, That’s a neat idea! I wonder if the pg washes out of the filter on the first use in the field? Thus would it need to be reapplied after every filtering?

#128182 - 02/05/10 04:46 PM Re: How do I keep my filter safe from freezing?? [Re: NiytOwl]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
I wouldn't put antifreeze in a filter with a carbon element since it might attach to the carbon and render it useless. For a non carbon filter how about grain alcohol. It's non toxic and if a little does end up in your water it's not so bad.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum