Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125253 - 12/15/09 11:24 AM Getting back into backpacking w/ fiancee
Kurt Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi everybody!

I've been away from backpacking for almost ten years and I've decided to get back into it (and camping in general). I recently went camping in east Texas on my fiancee's family land and it got me all fired up to spend time outdoors again. I forgot how much I enjoyed it, and even a pack of coyotes showing up in the middle of the night didn't deaden my enthusiasm (neither did not having a proper sleep roll).

I used to go on weekend trips with the Boy Scouts a couple times a year back in my teens, and looking back it occurs to me that the backpacking trips were my favorite. The best was definitely three days in the Delaware Water Gap in northern NJ. It's one of those memories that I can tell is going to stick with me.

I still go hiking once or twice a year, but I haven't gone backpacking since leaving the scouts and I really want to get back into it with a vengeance. I kept trying to get my friends to go camping with me, in an attempt to lure them towards backpacking, but it never really came together. I've mostly given up on getting my friends to go, so now my major obstacle is including my fiancee without overwhelming her. She's interested, but she's also (only half jokingly) told me that she wants one night in a hotel for every one spent on the trail. I'm definitely going to ease into it real slowly.

I've read a couple other threads that touch on getting significant others into hiking, and have gotten a lot of great advice from them. Once the spring comes, I plan on doing a couple day hikes, then if those go well planning one overnight trip where we could just hike a couple miles in, stay the night, then spend the day with some real easy hiking and then come back. I've got a couple candidates in our area picked out already (we're in Philly, so we've got the area around Harrisburg, then the Poconos and the Endless Mountains, not to mention the DWG).

I mostly just wanted to say hello, but if anyone has any other suggestions / tips / warnings about hiking and backpacking with significant others who don't have much experience, I'd be real interested in that, as well. My biggest concern is the camping more than the hiking, since I know one bad night on the trail can make an awful first impression regardless of the rest of the experience.

#125259 - 12/15/09 11:38 AM Re: Getting back into backpacking w/ fiancee [Re: Kurt]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You might want to start with a couple overnights in the public car-camping campground - preferably one that doesn't have electric hookups, so you won't have to contend with RVs and loud yahoos next door. Use backpacking gear and menus, and basically live out of your packs, not the car - it's a very non-threatening way to get her comfortable and familiar with how the gear functions. If things go downhill, you can always head for the motel and plan how you'll do things different next time. You can carry your loaded backpacks on the short day hikes during these trips, which lets her get a feel for how to pack and how to hike with a pack.

Then head out on the overnight you described above.

Wish someone had given me the above advice out before I took my bride on her first (and last) backpacking trip.

#125262 - 12/15/09 11:55 AM Re: Getting back into backpacking w/ fiancee [Re: Glenn]
Kurt Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
That's a great idea! I think I'll definitely do that before a real overnight trip - I was wary of going to a campground because I didn't want to just bring tons of stuff in the car and then live out of it, but your suggestion of basically "backpacking simulation" sounds perfect. Plus, that would open up a bunch of new possibilities for the destination.

#125282 - 12/15/09 01:32 PM Re: Getting back into backpacking w/ fiancee [Re: Kurt]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I still use that "simulation" approach each spring, just to give everything a shakedown trip after a few months' layoff.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum