Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119750 - 08/23/09 01:29 PM BackPacking Yosemite
Mt. Logan Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA, USA
I just found out my friends are also going to Yosemite the same time I am. They have all backpacked the John Muir Trail but I have never done multi-day backpacking. I need to pick up some gear. Any advice for a first timer like me? What kind of a lightweight pack to get, sleeping bag, mat, tent, etc.?

#119753 - 08/23/09 02:35 PM Re: BackPacking Yosemite [Re: Mt. Logan]
lori Offline

My first suggestion to anyone who's never gone before and has nothing - rent/borrow your gear. There is an REI in Fresno if you want to pick it up on the way. See if your buddies will share things like stove, water filter, tent, etc. You will be able to rent a sleeping bag and pad, and a bear canister - if you are willing to carry a Garcia the park will rent one for five bucks for the duration of your trip, if you want the clear widemouth Bear Vault you can get one at REI.

Rent or borrow because if you come back from the trip and vow to never go out again, you won't have spent 2,000 bucks on gear. The selection won't be great but you will do just fine especially if you share the load with others.

I suggest bringing lots of snacks to munch on all day. If you buy Mountain House or similar prepackaged meals, split the meals into half in ziplocs - that way when you lose the appetite the first couple of days you won't waste a ton of food. And if you don't lose the appetite, you can just eat it anyway!

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119757 - 08/23/09 04:02 PM Re: BackPacking Yosemite [Re: Mt. Logan]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just got back from Yosemite. Hiked the Valley-Tuolumne-Donohue Pass.

You question is very general. You did not specify exactly when you are going but I'll assume it's soon. I don't know much about your history or personal preferences. I don't know what your budget is. I don't know how much comfort you're willing to give up to save weight. But I can give you some general advice if I make some general assumptions:

Be prepared for any kind of weather, be it heat, rain or even snow. Fall is fast approaching. Nights can dip below freezing even at moderate altitudes. The good news is, the skeeters have had their run. I saw very few, at least in the part of the Park I was in.

Needless to say you will need a bear canister unless you're always camping near a food locker. Which means a pack that can handle a bear canister.

Don't try to go ultralight your first time out. A little more weight can be mean a lot more comfort. On the other hand, if your pack weighs 60 pounds you're probably carrying too much. Try to pool equipment such as stoves and water filters with your friends.

Unless money is no object for you, I'll second the idea of renting/borrowing gear. At this point you have little idea of what works or does not work for you. This can be a very expensive learning curve. For instance, do you prefer a tent or a tarp? Each has its advantages but without experience you really don't know.

Have fun and be sure to give us a TR when it's over so other beginners can learn from your experiences.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum