Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118984 - 08/02/09 10:36 PM Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thoughtful article about the need to get people, especially children, out into the wilderness instead of letting the infrastructure (such as trails) go to pot: New York Times editorial.

One quote I especially like:
Quote:
So let’s protect nature, yes, but let’s also maintain trails, restore the Forest Service and support programs that get young people rained on in the woods. Let’s acknowledge that getting kids awed by nature is as important as getting them reading.

Funny, though, I've never had the urge to lick a banana slug. Have I been missing something all these years?

#119040 - 08/04/09 01:13 AM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: OregonMouse]
MountainMinstrel Offline

Good article exept for two things.

1. What happens when you lick a bannana slug?

2. Why is it that Mr. Kristof thinks that it should be some elses responsibility to take care of the trails? It seems to me that those of us who use them should maybe be doing something about them. We cannot expect the government to do everything for us, and let's pray that we do not find the country in the same place it was in when most of those trails were built.

#119043 - 08/04/09 08:16 AM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: MountainMinstrel]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By MountainMinstrel
Good article exept for two things.

1. What happens when you lick a bannana slug?

You have to read the entire article. smile

Originally Posted By MountainMinstrel

2. Why is it that Mr. Kristof thinks that it should be some elses responsibility to take care of the trails? It seems to me that those of us who use them should maybe be doing something about them. We cannot expect the government to do everything for us, and let's pray that we do not find the country in the same place it was in when most of those trails were built.

My personal belief is that we need to have fewer "maintained" trails and allow the other to be unmarked "footpaths". This will accomplish multiple things. First, it allows the limited resources to be managed and allow for those who need "groomed trails" to have them and expect them to be well maintained. Second, by focusing the maintenance efforts on the few groomed trails, the unmarked footpaths will mostly be used by those who are skilled in venturing into the "wilderness" and thus keep it from being trashed. I think the condition/maintenance of the trails should exist on a continuum.

#119049 - 08/04/09 10:59 AM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: DTape]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By DTape

My personal belief is that we need to have fewer "maintained" trails and allow the other to be unmarked "footpaths". This will accomplish multiple things. First, it allows the limited resources to be managed and allow for those who need "groomed trails" to have them and expect them to be well maintained. Second, by focusing the maintenance efforts on the few groomed trails, the unmarked footpaths will mostly be used by those who are skilled in venturing into the "wilderness" and thus keep it from being trashed. I think the condition/maintenance of the trails should exist on a continuum.

The issue with that is trails around the volcanoes here are so prone to floods and blowouts - they get destroyed (the Timberline Trail being a great example) and then become dangerous for most hikers.

If they (NF and NP out here in the West) did not work yearly on trails around Hood, Baker, Adams, Rainier, etc you end up quickly with the Loowit Trail around Helens - a nearly unusable trail, so deeply gouged the creek crossings are canyons. Or you end up like Glacier where many trails have been out of commission since 2003. It truly has gone down to the minimum of users - only those rare few who can accept the danger and risk to get through.

Yet, those volcanoes are something that is iconic for the Northwest. Rainier has done the best job of keeping a park open on a shoestring budget most years. Hiking along Hood is a treat indeed but I would not call even the PCT an easy trail up there, due to the yearly blow outs and there not being the money to do enough trail work.

#119062 - 08/04/09 03:22 PM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: sarbar]
mike Offline

Loc: Ohio
They are doing quite a cool thing in the smokies right now. A trust fund is being set up with private donations matched by the Aslan Foundation. The initiative is called Trails Forever.

The idea is to set up a fund that allows all of the trails in the park to be maintained by private donations instead of government money.

Great idea!

check it out at http://smokiestrailsforever.org/

#119063 - 08/04/09 04:32 PM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: sarbar]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By sarbar
Originally Posted By DTape

The issue with that is trails around the volcanoes here are so prone to floods and blowouts - they get destroyed (the Timberline Trail being a great example) and then become dangerous for most hikers.

If they (NF and NP out here in the West) did not work yearly on trails around Hood, Baker, Adams, Rainier, etc you end up quickly with the Loowit Trail around Helens - a nearly unusable trail, so deeply gouged the creek crossings are canyons. Or you end up like Glacier where many trails have been out of commission since 2003. It truly has gone down to the minimum of users - only those rare few who can accept the danger and risk to get through.

Yet, those volcanoes are something that is iconic for the Northwest. Rainier has done the best job of keeping a park open on a shoestring budget most years. Hiking along Hood is a treat indeed but I would not call even the PCT an easy trail up there, due to the yearly blow outs and there not being the money to do enough trail work.

Sarbar,

I agree and it is those trails that need it, which should get the resources. It is apparent that we cannot get all the resources necessary to mark/maintain all the trails (even if we wanted to) so we must focus those resources where they are most necessary. I think you make the case for those around the volcanoes.

#119067 - 08/04/09 08:28 PM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: mike]
MountainMinstrel Offline

Originally Posted By mike
They are doing quite a cool thing in the smokies right now. A trust fund is being set up with private donations matched by the Aslan Foundation. The initiative is called Trails Forever.

The idea is to set up a fund that allows all of the trails in the park to be maintained by private donations instead of government money.

Great idea!

check it out at http://smokiestrailsforever.org/

That is a great idea.

#119068 - 08/04/09 08:46 PM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: DTape]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
In Washington State most trail work is done by the WTA, youth groups and the Backcountry Horsemen. Most of this work is volunteer hours. If not for everyone pitching in, we'd not have many trails. Here, if within 1 1/2 to 2 hours of Seattle a trail is not just used, it is a super highway of hikers.

#119177 - 08/10/09 01:20 AM Re: Oregon's Timberline Trail makes the New York Times [Re: sarbar]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have just returned from the Eagle Cap wilderness in the sparsely populated area of eastern Oregon. There, much of the trail maintenance is done by horse packers, who bring saws, axes and winches to clear trails when they go uptrail in the early season. Since almost no FS maintenance is done there, this is how the trails keep from disappearing entirely.

However, horse packers do not do such things as build water diversions, so in spite of their informal and voluntary efforts, a trail system that cost tens of thousands of man-hours to construct are eroding like crazy. And the signage is disappearing, too, due to general attrition. It's a shame.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum