Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118402 - 07/17/09 02:31 AM New Tarptent : the Moment
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia

Solo shelter, 28 oz including pole and two stakes.
Can be freestanding with optional longitudinal pole, 7oz.
18' sq, 6.6' vestibule, 84" long ,40" high.
5' high bathtub floor , can be raised or lowered depending on preference an weather conditions.
There is a mesh guard at the end so that your bag will not touch the wall.
Two top vents. Should be really easy to set up, only two pegs required.

This cutaway should give a better idea of the dimensions.

Franco
http://www.tarptent.com/new.html

Edited by Franco (07/17/09 07:14 PM)

#118403 - 07/17/09 02:58 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Boy! Thet thar "Moment" tent shore is temptin'. Only 4 oz. heaver than muh Contrail and looks to be a heck of a lot more wind resistant.

Question is: kin I carry thet extry 4 oz. by shavin' 4 oz. of my gear somewheres else - like ma beard? (A beard's gear 'cause hit keeps some of the food ya wuz eatin' fer lunch fer a snack down the trail.)

Brother Eric

#118407 - 07/17/09 03:33 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Brother Eric
This was love at first sight, again.
The Church Of Tarptent does welcome new creations and they just get better all the time, but one can only use a single shelter at a time.

Seriously I do like the feature set a lot, it seems to address most if not all of the "problems/wishes" that some have had about TT solo shelters.

Do not shave your beard, that could cause some sex crazed dame to chase you up and down the trail.
Maybe 4 oz can be reduced in other regions closer to where the center of gravity should be.

Franco
There are comfortable backpacks. They are called Aarn.
http://aarnpacks.com/

#118553 - 07/21/09 10:52 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
wow, I really like that. I don't always carry trekking poles so it would be a great alternative to the contrail - plus add 7oz and it's freestanding? Nice for the platforms in NH. I was pretty damn close to buying a BD one shot for just that purpose but this looks much better. Doesn't show up yet on the order page, long wait?

#118554 - 07/21/09 10:55 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
Originally Posted By 300winmag
Boy! Thet thar "Moment" tent shore is temptin'. Only 4 oz. heaver than muh Contrail and looks to be a heck of a lot more wind resistant.

Question is: kin I carry thet extry 4 oz. by shavin' 4 oz. of my gear somewheres else - like ma beard? (A beard's gear 'cause hit keeps some of the food ya wuz eatin' fer lunch fer a snack down the trail.)

Brother Eric

urine luck! $215 weighs in at 4oz.. 'zactly

#118592 - 07/21/09 11:06 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: acronym]
300winmag Offline

AAAarrrrrgggghhh! Resistance is futile.

Now I'm beginning to think of how much I could get for my used Contrail so I could justify buying the Moment. Henry Shires, your mind just keeps turning out such inventive tents, constantly tempting me.

Eric
BTW, After looking at TarpTent's photos and computer drawings I think the Moment has at least as much mesh venting as the Contrail and one more roof vent. That's good. And another plus is that it requires fewer stakes than the Contrail. Notta too bad, notta too bad.

#118593 - 07/21/09 11:19 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles

What he said.

Curse you Henry Shires. grin

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118626 - 07/22/09 04:39 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Trailrunner]
alanwenker Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner

What he said.

Curse you Henry Shires. grin

+1

#118630 - 07/22/09 08:09 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: alanwenker]
300winmag Offline

Y' know guys, if you're bicycle touring you could remove your front wheel and stow the bike beneath the Moment's vestibule to keep it out of the weather and theiving hands. There's not always a place to lock up a bicycle at a campsite. Bike touring requires UL equipment just like backpacking and the Moment should be advertised in bicycling magazines.

Eric

#120626 - 09/09/09 10:34 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
dralahiker Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Hi Franco
I've been offline a good while, but then I caught wind of the new Moment. I figured you'd be the field tester like you have for so many of Henry's creations.

I read the text, which says the Moment is bug-proofed, but can't really see the netting on the backside opposite the door. Is netting attached to the perimeter of the floor as in other Tarptents?

I hope to read more feedback from you from real-world use. I'm tempted to get an order in now, regardless. Besides, my Cloudburst is getting a bit worn and I NEED a new shelter ;-)

Drala Bill

#120628 - 09/09/09 11:12 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: dralahiker]
Franco Offline

Drala
As far as I know so far only HS has been playing with the Moment changing it's name and features as work progressed. So what you will get now if you order one is the fourth of fith version of this design...
I was over there recently (Washington State) for a couple of hikes but used the Contrail. Unfortunately due to time and budget restrictions ( I was there with a couple of mates from Melbourne) I did not get to meet the maker ( nor thankfully the Maker)
The Moment is definitely fully bug proof . On top of that you can increase/decrease ventilation (and wind ingress) by using the flaps over the ends and or lifting the fly over the pole or lifting the floor to make a "deeper" bath tub.
Looks to me the easiest TT shelter to set up as well as the most wind worth one as well.
Both Eric (300winmag ) and the Family Guy have one on order in, so expect pics and comments from them
I will be interested to hear from them too considering both have had previous experience with other TT shelters.
Franco

#120633 - 09/10/09 12:10 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
Steven Offline

Loc: United States
I am interested in how it will handle condensation issues. Looks like it should do a pretty good job with all the extra ventilation and I don't think you would have to worry about rolling over into a wet tent wall. Very interesting design.

I have been looking at the Contrail and even looking at the Cloudburst 2. I am still leaning toward the Contrail because I figured I could shave some weight by sticking with my hiking poles as the poles to support the tent. Plus I figured that even if I broke my hiking poles, I could always find a good stick to work. I am hesitant when it comes to the flexible poles. I know they have been used for years, but I practice to try and remove Murphy from my hiking. smile

#120637 - 09/10/09 12:39 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
dralahiker Offline

Hi Franco
Thanks for the info!

Now I need to sell some stuff to fund a Moment, or sell my Cloudburst (which has been great other than me tripping over the front guyline and ripping it - which Henry repaired).

Great that you got to visit Washington - too many beautiful places to see in one trip!

#120640 - 09/10/09 03:36 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: dralahiker]
300winmag Offline

I ordered a TT Moment last week. Should be here this week, by September 11th. Can't wait. OO! OO! I feel the tiniest tingle of "New Object Worship" approaching. Yes, I'm a shamless materialist, but I'm embracing the "pain" - now where's my charge card? I think I see a nice rain Packa in eVent.

(But of course I can stop buying gear anytime I want. Done it dozens of times.)

Eric

#120669 - 09/10/09 06:49 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Looks like one could tie the 3 end cords into a rubber O ring & loop the ring around the stake, This would permit some constant tensioning when the silnylon gets wet and stretches.

Eric

#120674 - 09/10/09 07:47 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Eric
I have installed shock cords on my Contrail some time ago (x4) . In the morning after a humid or rainy night the tent is not as taught as when I used to adjust it just before going to sleep but it is good enough.
The Moment should be easier again (as you describe it) having only two major pegs to deal with.
I would also consider putting a stone (or shoe upside down...) under the pole end to lift it up and keep the tension up if sagging is detected. Could save you a trip outside.
Franco

#120710 - 09/11/09 08:49 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
dralahiker Offline

Eric,
The day his here, and hopefully your Tarptent Moment will be, too!

No doubt you'll be eager to set it up and we'll be eager to see photos!

One photo worth having that Henry hasn't posted would be with a person inside. That would give some better idea of relative scale.

I've been in other shelters of the 17-18 sq. ft. range and will be interested to see how the Moment compares.

I also practice "new object worship" - which is why my bicycle is in my living rooom!

!Drala hiker

#120910 - 09/14/09 10:59 AM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: 300winmag]
dralahiker Offline

Hi Eric,

Did you get your Tarptent Moment over the weekend?

I look forward to your comments and phtos!

Drala

#120950 - 09/14/09 09:46 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: dralahiker]
300winmag Offline

Got a form e-mail from Henry to all TT customers W/ recent Moment orders. The production manager had a serious family problem that required him to be away for several days. Shipping may begin on Sept. 15. Guess I'll be getting it sometime late next week.

Eric

#121015 - 09/16/09 12:31 PM Re: New Tarptent : the Moment [Re: Franco]
bigsac Offline

Loc: Sacramento CA
I emailed Tarptent with a question about the Moment and Henry emailed me back and invited me to his headquarters to see his tents since I live close by. It impressed me that the head of the company would do that. That's the way to do business.

The Moment looks good on paper to me, but it would be nice to see it first before buying.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum