Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117084 - 06/10/09 05:27 AM New to backpacking, need gear :P
Slappy Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Im fairly new to backpacking, but not the outdoors. Scouting, Car camping =) and hunting are fairly normal. My friends have bumped it up a bit with backing into the camp site, i must admit im a bit out of shape for the difficulty increase. I do know the basics of camping, but i would like to know what kind of pack i would need i see a lot off different types, sizes and what not. so i came here it looked like a good places to start.

Im a big guy (6-1, 42in. waist) i tryed a pack on and the waist strap was off by a good 12-15 inches, im looking for a pack that can with stand, stay 3-5 day trip. 40-50 Pounds? but im not sure on liter size and how that translates into weight totals. Any help would be appreciated.

#117085 - 06/10/09 07:40 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
To recommend specific packs, we'd need more information on the weight and volume of the load you're planning to carry.

However, one general recommendation is to go to a good outdoors shop. Usually, but not always, the local independent shop is better at fitting packs than the big-box stores like REI or Dick's. REI clerks are good at fitting packs, but when I've shopped for a pack at the Kennesaw store, I've noticed a definite attempt by the clerks to steer you toward REI-brand merchandise, even when another brand is clearly a better choice. As far as Dick's, it's buyer beware: if you can find a clerk, he/she may have been in the shoe department last week, and never worn or fitted a pack in their lives.

You're not much bigger than me (in fact, I may take you by an inch or two in the waist.) If you randomly grabbed a pack, and the belt was that much too short, you probably got the wrong size, or else a child-sized pack. Packs usually come in small, medium, and large sizes; be sure you're trying on a large or medium. I take a size large, and I've never had a pack that was the right size have a hipbelt that was too short.

#117088 - 06/10/09 09:03 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
lori Offline

It's important to consider what you want to carry vs how much money you want to spend. With some time and patience you can get good quality gear on sale, used or from thrift stores. Why mention this when you ask about packs? because you're going to need to know what gear you're taking before you figure out what pack you really need. If your gear list needs to include a bear canister, for example, some packs don't carry those well. And good quality gear can often be lighter or pack smaller than 'the heavy stuff.' A high quality down bag will be compact, light, and warm, but expensive; a warm synthetic will be bulky and need more pack space. A cheap tent will weigh more, an ultralight tent will cost more - with the exception of tarp tents, which are actually fairly reasonable when compared to one of the $500 Big Agnes tents. How do you want to sleep? a two pound sleeping pad/mattress will be very comfortable indeed if you are a side sleeper, but it's very heavy. Light foam pads provide good warmth but minimal padding. As a big guy you might need a big shelter - do you want a tent, a bivy, a tarp or a hammock? Bivies and tarps are lighter and pack smaller than tents. Hammock setups can sometimes get more elaborate than tent setups but are much more comfortable for some, particularly people with joint or back problems.

Either external or internal frame will work fine. Internal frame packs have a lower profile so are generally better if you are going cross country, especially if you manage to get everything inside instead of dangling off it. Fit is extremely important as you've figured out. 40-50 pounds is heavy by my standards for that duration of a trip, but my gear plus 3-5 days of food never tops 30 lbs. You likely eat more than I do - not hard to do!

You need to decide a few key things, like where you are going and what seasons you will pack in, to determine the gear you need. Going out in snow requires another set of gear. Going in summer you can be light.

For a pack with a swappable hip belt (your back size might indicate a medium size pack, while your hip size might be large or x large, for example) look at the larger Osprey packs, Aether series is popular, or something like Granite Gear. I could not use packs with fixed hip belts myself because part of me is a medium and my back length is (depending on brand) usually a small. My own go-to pack is the Nimbus Ozone, which carries 3800-4500 cu in and up to 40 lbs.

You might also look at brands like Mystery Ranch, especially if you are going hunting while hiking.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117111 - 06/10/09 08:08 PM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check out the articles on the home page of this website ("TLB Home" at left), listed in the left hand column. The articles include gear lists and lots of other useful information. Hopefully, armed with this information you won't have to carry a 40-50 lb. pack!

Definitely wait to get the pack until you have your other gear. In the meantime, you can borrow or rent.

Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so it's hard to recommend one up front. We'd need to know the weight and bulk of what you plan to carry.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/09 08:09 PM)

#117113 - 06/10/09 09:33 PM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Glenn]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I forgot to mention that a good store will let you bring your gear (including food sack) in, pack up the pack you like, and take it for a test drive around the store. In the smaller shops (and sometimes at larger stores like REI), they might even spend some time helping your figure out how best to load the pack.

If you do this, don't do something mean-spirited like spend a couple of hours of the shop's time, then buy the pack online because you saved $20.

#117120 - 06/11/09 01:36 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
Slappy Offline

thx for the good info, a good example of a trip would be a 5 person, 3 day trip to Yosemite backpack in set up camp, hike to half dome with out the packs. not normally in winter but not out of the question. i know that matters alot. nothing to crazy we planed on 2 gallons per-Person(i know that's alot about, 17pounds) we didn't have a purifier. we packed a little to lite on food we should have packed a little better but our group is out of practice along with some first timers.

I couldn't go cause i didn't have a pack but i helped pack for the trip. we have typical gear a lite 3 man tent(only fits 2), Propane bi-pod burner, extra boots, Down Mummy bag + bed roll. normal odds and ends mess kit, first aid all the little stuff you normally over pack and clothes.

Based on what little know and what you guys have said i want an internal frame, large size, removable waist strap. What can i expect for the 150- 200 Price range. shooting for 30 -40 pounds but after looking a bit more. A new question came up, Duffel or compartmental?

#117122 - 06/11/09 09:28 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Slappy
thx for the good info, a good example of a trip would be a 5 person, 3 day trip to Yosemite backpack in set up camp, hike to half dome with out the packs. not normally in winter but not out of the question. i know that matters alot. nothing to crazy we planed on 2 gallons per-Person(i know that's alot about, 17pounds) we didn't have a purifier. we packed a little to lite on food we should have packed a little better but our group is out of practice along with some first timers.

If you couldn't afford a filter, you could take Aqua Mira or Micropur (cheap and weigh a couple ounces) instead of lugging the water. I would NOT want to do the Mist Trail with that much on my back! My knees would be hamburger after all those steps. There is a whole clear rushing river of water along most of that trail.

Quote:
I couldn't go cause i didn't have a pack but i helped pack for the trip. we have typical gear a lite 3 man tent(only fits 2), Propane bi-pod burner, extra boots, Down Mummy bag + bed roll. normal odds and ends mess kit, first aid all the little stuff you normally over pack and clothes.

Based on what little know and what you guys have said i want an internal frame, large size, removable waist strap. What can i expect for the 150- 200 Price range. shooting for 30 -40 pounds but after looking a bit more. A new question came up, Duffel or compartmental?

Do you mean a two burner propane stove? Extra boots? Why? there are a lot of canister stoves, and if your boots are worn to the point that you think they are going to come apart, just replace them so you don't need an extra pair. Click on the gear store in the left column here and check out the stoves. A pocket rocket is about forty bucks and 3 oz. - if you really want to cook and want a windscreen, the Windpro is more expensive and heavier by seven ounces, but also a good stove. Those two items will probably drop your pack weight significantly. How light is the 3 man tent?

If you mean a single compartment vs small compartments, on an internal frame many are a single bag with side pockets for water bottles. It depends on what you prefer. In that price/size range you might find a granite gear on sale. You need to have an idea of how much gear you will be taking to buy the pack, tho.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117142 - 06/11/09 05:21 PM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: lori]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I think I paid $170 for my Osprey Aether 70 a few years ago. it works great when I have to be the pack mule for my family and would likely hold the large volumn, heavy weight gear it sounds like you have. When I go alone or with just one kid, I am currently using a Granite Gear Vapor Trail instead of the Osprey.

#117158 - 06/12/09 12:25 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: lori]
Slappy Offline

Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By Slappy

If you couldn't afford a filter, you could take Aqua Mira or Micropur (cheap and weigh a couple ounces) instead of lugging the water. I would NOT want to do the Mist Trail with that much on my back! My knees would be hamburger after all those steps. There is a whole clear rushing river of water along most of that trail.

Quote:

Do you mean a two burner propane stove? Extra boots? Why? there are a lot of canister stoves, and if your boots are worn to the point that you think they are going to come apart, just replace them so you don't need an extra pair. Click on the gear store in the left column here and check out the stoves. A pocket rocket is about forty bucks and 3 oz. - if you really want to cook and want a windscreen, the Windpro is more expensive and heavier by seven ounces, but also a good stove. Those two items will probably drop your pack weight significantly. How light is the 3 man tent?

If you mean a single compartment vs small compartments, on an internal frame many are a single bag with side pockets for water bottles. It depends on what you prefer. In that price/size range you might find a granite gear on sale. You need to have an idea of how much gear you will be taking to buy the pack, tho.

It was poor planing on our part we had two filters but they were damaged on the way up, as for the stove no its a single burner with a fork style bipod.the extra the boots were a precaution cause it was going to rain we were really underperpaired in some area and over in others.

#117159 - 06/12/09 12:30 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
Slappy Offline

Thx for all the info ill post what i end up getting, but it wont be soon :P at least i have a basic idea of what to expect and look for in a pack.

#117160 - 06/12/09 05:24 AM Re: New to backpacking, need gear :P [Re: Slappy]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Some places have gear for rent. You can try out a pack for a weekend trip and see how it carries for more than the 5 minutes in the store. I have a friend that rented for an entire year, he got different packs each time just to try them out. When he was ready, he knew exactly what type and style, etc... he wanted/needed.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum