Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116816 - 06/02/09 01:09 PM Hello everyone!
CaterpillarMan Offline

Loc: N.E. Wyoming
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been poking around on here for a while and decided to join today. As I am going on my first adventure in a week. Its going to be 3 days long. The first day we are going to hike in about 6 miles and setup camp and do some fishing in a stream, replenish our water supply. The second we are gonna hike 4 miles S.E. from where we setup first camp and do some more fishing in a different creek. The last day will be about 4-5 mile hike back to the vehicles.

Here is a little information about me. I'm 22 year old male (I will turn 23 on this adventure). I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170 pounds. I work for Caterpillar on 400 ton haul trucks at a coal mine. I work an 18 day rotation so I get a half month off every month. I'm really active. Play softball and basketball. I love to fish and hunt, so Im use to hiking alot.

I got a pretty good list of stuff to take, let me know what you guys think.
Bag: 65L Coleman max with 2L hydro pack. Alot of people dont like the coleman max but it fits me VERY comfortable with 40 pounds in it.
Sleeping Bag is a bit heavier but I live in wyoming and need a 0 degree bag. It weighs 4.6 pounds and is a mummy style. I also have a foam pad to lay down, which only weighs like a pound if that.
I got a backpack tent that can sleep 2.
A set of synthetic pants that can turn into shorts, and a synthetic shirt. Also taking a set of thermal long jonhs, cap to keep head and ears warm and a light wind proof/water proof jacket.
I got a small aluminum pot, and mug. I just bought a small stove made by Optimus. Its really small and cool too.
First Aide kit, hobo utensils, small shovel (3" by 5" fold out handle), matches, lighter, and magnesium kit. Sunscreen, insect spray. A small pill carrier for my Asthma medicine. 2 Flashlights, and a small per of binocs. Im also taking my camera with too.
GPS unit. I use it for hunting so figured I would take it.
Water purification tablets. Will also have 2- 1 liter water jugs on my back pack.
I have a nice pair of hiking shoes made by Merrell.
Now for the food list. Im not sure about some of it so this is the area I need the most help on:
Tuna Fish in the pouches
Crackers
Jerky
Granola Bars
Candy Bars
Noddles in a Cup, or the bagged ones
Home made dehydrated fruit and trail mix.
Maybe some canned meat like spam or something.
Powder drink mixes (something that has electrolytes).
Ok thats all I really got so any advice is welcome.

#116818 - 06/02/09 01:38 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Welcome. You might get some comments on a few of items you're taking, from the point of view of weight and utility (the shovel for example), but remember -- you're only doing it "wrong" if you aren't enjoying yourself.

There's always more then enough time to refine your gear list and there's never enough time to be on the trail, so take every chance that comes your way. smile

#116819 - 06/02/09 01:44 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Sounds like a great place to start. You will want some method of protecting your food from animals. Check the local regulations to see if a bear can is needed. Most places in the USA don't require it, but hanging your food is still a good idea to keep it away from rodents and racoons as well as bears.

Not sure why you are taking two flashlights. One headlamp is all I ever need. Also the folding shovel can be replaced by a tent stake (the wind ones for snow or sand work well) or a small plastic trowel which will weigh much less.

Food: What are you doing for breakfast? Pop tarts and instant oatmeal work well. If you drink coffee don't forget to take some with you or tea or hot cocoa for a warm morning drink. Instant potatoes, couscous, and instant rice are all easy to prepare and light weight as well. For recipes check out http://www.onepanwonders.com/dinners.htm and http://www.trailcooking.com/.

Have a great time!

#116822 - 06/02/09 02:23 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Welcome.

I'm not sure what "hobo utensils" are, but if they don't duplicate something else (like a pot or stove), I'd say take them.

Your gear isn't the lightest, but it is pretty complete. So, I'd say use it until you're sure you like this pastime, then figure out whether you want to lighten the weight in your pack. If so, these forums can help you do so when you're ready.

As far as food, I'm assuming the tuna fish will mix into the noodles for supper. (If you want something a little more substantial than ramen noodles, try the Lipton Knorr side dishes, which come with noodles and a variety of sauces - just remember that if you choose one that says, "add milk," you'll also need to carry powdered milk. Also, make sure your pot is big enough to cook your planned meals in.

I'm also assuming that jerky, trail mix, and granola bars will make up most of your lunch. If so, the canned meat seems extraneous - I wouldn't bother with it.

Like others said, you're missing breakfast, unless you're planning on using granola for that (I have.) Instant oatmeal, dry cereal, Oatmeal-to-Go or other breakfast bars are all great.

You might consider taking some cocoa, coffee, or tea, if you're so inclined. (I am, but only in cold weather.)

Finally, since this is a new stove and new menu, you might take along 2 fuel canisters. That will give you a margin while you learn how many meals a canister will fix for you. (Saving the half pound weight of the second canister won't be noticeable on this trip - it will be later, when you've worked yourseld down to a 25-pound load.)

Have a good time, and let us know how the trip went.

#116826 - 06/02/09 04:25 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Ok thanks for the reply's. Ok the shovel is small. It has a spade the same size as a gardening one. Its smaller then my wallet. I want it for digging a fire pit.

The hobo utensils. Its like a swiss army knife. It has a cork screw, knife, awl, bottle opener, can opener, fork and a spoon. Its pretty much the same size as a swiss army knife too.

I will take some coffee and coco. Also some breakfast bars. The tuna fish will be for the noodles with super, or Ill have it with the crackers for a lunch. Maybe Ill catch some fish for a good high protein dinner. Thanks for the input guys. Im sure im gonna get hooked on this cause I love the outdoors. I have also been lost for 5 days in the same mountains that im going to. So I have good survivor tactics. More advice is welcome as well!
thanks again,
Jr

#116828 - 06/02/09 05:06 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
theepdinker Offline

Originally Posted By CaterpillarMan
I have also been lost for 5 days in the same mountains that im going to.

NO NO NO you can't stop there.
Come on tell the tale.

theep

#116830 - 06/02/09 06:47 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Ok the shovel is small. It has a spade the same size as a gardening one. Its smaller then my wallet. I want it for digging a fire pit.

I won't lecture toooo loudly but digging a fire pit now days is pretty much looked down upon as it leaves a scar frown In many places fires are banned outright year round or can only be had below a certain elevation. Fires are nice, I will agree - but can you do your fire ring without digging?

#116833 - 06/02/09 08:40 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: theepdinker]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Originally Posted By theepdinker
I have also been lost for 5 days in the same mountains that im going to.

NO NO NO you can't stop there.
Come on tell the tale.

theep

Ok well I was hiking up to a set of lakes called The Lost twin lakes. I was with some buddies that have been there before. Well we got to the parking area at night and followed the trail with lights. We hike about 5 miles (we were only 300yards from the lakes). We set up camp and woke up that morning. I had a day pack, with sunflower seeds, jerky and some granola bars. My little tackle box and my fishing pole. Well we went the wrong way. He kept telling me just over this hill until we were above the tree line. Well we were young and dump and want a short cut back to camp....Not a good Idea. We got totally lost and found a creek and slept there, got up caught some fish, ate and away we went again. Going the totally wrong way to camp. Ended up on the 5th day back on the highway we drove in on. Somebody picked us up and took us to our vehicle. We hiked back in and got our stuff and went home. It wasnt alot of fun at the time, but now that I look back on it, it was an awesome time, and I learned ALOT!

Jr

#116834 - 06/02/09 08:42 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: sarbar]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I will quietly second what sarbar said. Almost any lake you go to that has fish in it will also have established camp sites. If the established site has a fire ring and pit, you won't need to dig a new one. If the established site doesn't have a fire ring and pit, it is almost certainly because the FS rangers have dismantled it and a fire is not allowed. Find out the applicable regulations before you go.

Please do not to burn wood anywhere even close to alpine or timberline areas; they can't grow wood anywhere near fast enough to replace what people burn. Fires are more acceptable in low elevation forest, where the trees grow to full height and close together, especially if you gather your wood at some distance from your camp site, where dead and downed wood is probably plentiful.

#116835 - 06/02/09 09:18 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: aimless]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Alot of the lakes that you have to hike to in the Big Horns, do not have campsites set up. But I will not be digging after the great advice you guys gave me. Ill find some rocks and make a fire ring my self and I always only use dead branches or wood. I will not cut a perfectly good tree just cause its 1/4 mile closer to my camp site. Im getting really excited about the trip. I got to go do some more shopping tomorrow. Thanks again.
Jr

#116838 - 06/03/09 12:14 AM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You might want to check the regulations for the Big Horn National Forest. There, as in all National Forests, "Leave No Trace" practices are not just recommended, but the law.

Note also that in the the Cloud Peak Wilderness, campfires are not allowed above 9200 feet altitude.

For an idea of the sort of gear most of us on this forum carry (although there are many, many variations), go to the home page of this site and look at the articles listed in the left-hand column, especially the gear lists and the "ten" essentials list.

While I'm planning to revisit the Wind Rivers this year, the Bighorns are next on my list! I hope you'll give us a trip report!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/03/09 12:19 AM)

#116839 - 06/03/09 12:40 AM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
OM

quote"There, as in all National Forests, "Leave No Trace" practices are not just recommended, but the law."
My read of the nat'l forest docs differs. This center for LNT ethics (that your link takes me to) has some interesting ideas, however a quick check of Nat'l Forest regs - which contains LNT like suggestions, some questionable, are written into the regulations and regulations, not concepts, are the law.
Jim

#116841 - 06/03/09 10:23 AM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Im aware of the no fires above 9200. I will only be at 8950 where we are camping. I wont be digging a fire pit either, although I think its safer to dig a little pit, but Ill find some rocks.
thanks again,
Jr

#116844 - 06/03/09 10:52 AM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
lori Offline

It's safer to have a twig stove, a fire bowl or a small backpacking stove that burns fuel you bring. None of these options leave scars on the ground when properly used.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#116883 - 06/04/09 03:43 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Well I just got done making some phone calls to the ranger stations. There is no fire restrictions right now, but I have to change my trip cause everything 8000 feet and up is still snowed in. So Im gonna stay at a camp ground one night and hike 3 miles to another camp ground. These camp grounds have fire rings too. Well one week from today I'll be heading out, Ill bring some pictures too. I really enjoy the Big Horn mountains, i've been there alot. No hiking trips, so this will be my first. I only live an hour away. Ill post some pictures and give you guys a trip report as well. Thanks for all the advice. Oh I weighed my bag today it was 37 pounds with everything, including my .45 ACP. But I'm gonna by some bear spray instead, so that will lighten my load some too. I dont know how you guys do this stuff with 20 pound loads, I guess experience helps alot too, knowing what you NEED and whats just handy to have even if you dont use it alot.
thanks again,
Jr

#116894 - 06/05/09 08:47 AM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
You need a decent paying job first to buy some new gear.:) What about one of those little babies you wrench on, take one for a test drive after you work on it.:) Oh, and welcome to the forum.

#116907 - 06/05/09 01:36 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: hikerduane]
CaterpillarMan Offline

Well I think I have a decent paying job. I only work 183 days a year and clear 90k. And I can work all the extra days I want, and 14.5 hours at time and a half is pretty nice when I wanna buy something new.
Jr

#116913 - 06/05/09 04:14 PM Re: Hello everyone! [Re: CaterpillarMan]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you haven't yet read the articles in the left column of the home page of this site, that's the place to start for lightening your pack. Starting with those articles, I have been able to cut my pack weight (total weight for a 9-day trip) in half--from 50 lbs. in the late 1980's (before a knee injury stopped my backpacking) to 25-26 lbs. now.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 397 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum