Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108837 - 01/05/09 11:26 PM New guy has some issues...
getlost75 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Ok, so I'm new to backpacking and I'm in the process of buying my gear. After reading through this forum I seem to have broken a rule of thumb in purchasing a backpack: I bought the pack first. So know I'm second guessing my purchase because I bought a fairly large size pack, an Osprey Aether 85. Is this pack going to be too big for my needs? I eventually plan on doing up to a week to ten days backpacking, so I figure a large pack would be ideal. However, as I read more it seams that there are often places to restock on basics. To me this would mean that you would not need to carry as much, thus a large pack is unnecessary. It is still new and returnable, so I’m wondering if I should downsize to the Aether 70 instead. The actual weight variance is only 3oz, so weight is not really an issue, but extra space can cause too much movement, correct? Does anyone own this pack or have some thoughts on my dilemma?

#108842 - 01/06/09 03:33 AM Re: New guy has some issues... [Re: getlost75]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As you've mentioned, you've probably got it backwards to what we'd reccommend to you.

There is probably not a huge difference between the two, however, if it's returnable, and you're not certain of your purchase, one thought might be to return it, go about acquiring some of your other gear, and perhaps try renting or borrowing the first time out.

You might also want to ensure you're thinking about what you want for "normal" backpacking trips, if 10 days out will be "normal" for you, that's great. if not, you may be overbuying and therefore carrying a lot more weight than you otherwise would of most of your trips, just to try to make one backpack do it all. For example, I have a giant backpack, and a big winter tent and sleeping bag. I do most of my backpacking in the summer/fall, and when I do that I am not using my big heavy winter gear. Were I to try to plan for that one backpack and tent to do it all, I'd be carrying a ton more weight on my back for the time I do most of my backpacking.
Browse my pictures

#108843 - 01/06/09 08:06 AM Re: New guy has some issues... [Re: getlost75]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
I would either return the pack and wait until you've accumulated all of your gear to choose the right pack, or I'd keep it and buy a second pack if you find out later on that it's too big.

#108846 - 01/06/09 09:20 AM Re: New guy has some issues... [Re: getlost75]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Check out the "New Pack and New Poster" thread a few lines down on the index - he also bought his pack first. It was an Aether 70.

Buying the pack first is not necessarily a fatal mistake. Buying too large a pack can lead to it riding sloppily, since you won't fill it. However, without knowing what your style and hiking region are, I can't say whether it's too large or not. You might want to take the pack, your other gear, and food and clothing for a "normal" (for you) trip back to the store where you bought it, when they're not busy, and simply ask if you can use floor displays to fill out your gear and put together a complete set of gear you hope to end up using. Load it into the pack, and see if it's too big. If it is, downsize to the Aether 70 or 60. If not, thank the store staff for their time, make at least a small purchase, and vow to continue to patronize them. If you're tempted by a 30% sale online, at least ask if they can meet the price - and maybe buy it at their price, even if they can't. The ability to be able to touch, feel, try, and hear advice from knowledgeable folks really is worth something. But I digress.

If you're sure you want to adopt a minimalist/lightweight style, I think your pack is definitely too large (unless you want to load it up with food and do 2 or 3 weeks without resupply!) If you decide this is the case, go back and replace it with the 70 or 60. However, if you choose the 60, and want to go out for a week or ten days without resupply, you may be committing yourself to choosing other gear that tends more to the lightweight side of the scale: Big Agnes tents, Snow Peak stoves, Western Mountaineering bags, the "Fast and Light" stuff from MSR, etc. You're also probably committing to a more minimalist style: no chair kit, one-pot kitchen, boil-and-soak suppers, etc.

I just recently switched from my much-loved Granite Gear Vapor Trail to an Aether 60 (I found my loads were creeping up above the 20-25 pound level due to carrying more food and water for longer trips into drier areas; the VT suspension just wasn't comfortable enough.) The Aether 60 was just right for a test load of my basic gear (including a down jacket and pants and other winter clothing) and 5 days' food, with room left over. I'm somewhat minimalist, but I also use an air mattress and take a few other small comforts. That total test load, including the 4-pound pack, was still only 31 pounds, including 5 days' food (7 pounds) and 3 liters of water (6 more pounds.)

The 85 may be OK for you, if you have a good idea of what your typical loads will look like; but also consider the 2 smaller versions. Also, remember that the lid compartment is detachable when you're not carrying a filled-up pack.

#108853 - 01/06/09 01:55 PM Re: New guy has some issues... [Re: phat]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
As usual, I think Phat has nailed an important point here --- can you anticipate what kinds of ways in which you might use the backpack?

In particular, if you suspect you might be inclined at some point to do winter hiking or mountain climbing or scrambling, that pack might be a good choice. Winter imposes a whole lot of constraints that suggest a higher volume pack.

Of course people strive to keep their winter-time base weight low too, but you when you need a better tent, a warmer sleeping bag, more warm clothes and perhaps more backup clothing, you're eating more calories per day ... for me, at least, it's impossible to be in the same ballpark as for a summertime trip.

#109021 - 01/08/09 09:22 PM Re: New guy has some issues... [Re: getlost75]
Gadgetech Offline

Loc: Upstate, SC
Get lost, I am the other poser ehem, I mean poster referenced above that bought the Aether 70. I will say, I spent quite a bit of time (3 hours) in the shop (and that wasn't my first trip) talking with the staff and walking around with the pack on my back, loaded with about 30 pounds worth of stuff to check fit and such. My point being, your local shop is a great resource especially if there are avid hikers among them. I hope they took the time to fit you properly with the shoulder straps, belt strap and discuss pros and cons of the different sizes and what they can do for you. I quickly discovered that there isn't a one pack for every situation and I decided on the Aether 70 for 3 reasons:
1. It can be cinched across the back so you can still maintain an ideal pack (from bottom to top instead of just filling the bottom of the pack only) if you don't have enough to fill up the whole pack.

2. There are two day pack options you can attach to the back of the 70 if you need to carry more. This will also serve as a nice option if you are hiking out and back to your base camp in a day.

3. With the 30+ lbs filling up the pack (90% full), it felt like there was no pack at all while I walked around the store...and yes, I felt like a complete idiot, but I am confident the pack I bought is the one I like the best.

Edited by TitanDriver (01/08/09 09:24 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum