Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150323 - 05/15/11 04:21 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: jwild]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I get your quite valid point, but snake bite kits and venom extractors are considered to be worse than useless and are not currently recommended.

#150337 - 05/15/11 11:59 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: oldranger]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
I get your quite valid point, but snake bite kits and venom extractors are considered to be worse than useless and are not currently recommended.

yeah I have heard the same thing and do not actually carry one myself.

#150353 - 05/15/11 06:16 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: jwild]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, it's all fun and games until everybody's out of TP. smile

#150392 - 05/16/11 11:39 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By Glenn
Yeah, it's all fun and games until everybody's out of TP. smile

I still carry TP, but use water most of the time. Cleaner and nothing to carry out. Running out of TP is no big deal.

My current 15 pound base weight kit is safer, has more repair options and will keep me comfortable to lower temperature than my old 35 pound base weight. I sleep better and eat better.

I do not agree that I have sacrificed safety or comfort.

Edited by ringtail (05/16/11 11:39 AM)

#150403 - 05/16/11 02:00 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: oldranger]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah

Fun reading for anyone interested.
Snake Bite

#150409 - 05/16/11 04:23 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
Glenn Offline

I agree with you - it's not a sacrifice of safety or comfort. The situation seemed to call for a little humor, and that was about as little as I could provide. smile

#150413 - 05/16/11 05:47 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

I thought your post was humerous and a good analogy.

I was going for the shock value. People tease about cutting off toothpaste handles, but it exceeds their imagination that we are serious about no TP.

#150444 - 05/17/11 04:39 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: finallyME]
jwild Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME

Fun reading for anyone interested.
Snake Bite

thanks for the info grin

#150641 - 05/22/11 01:48 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
MTvagabond Offline

Loc: Western Montana
Originally Posted By ringtail
I thought your post was humerous and a good analogy.

I was going for the shock value. People tease about cutting off toothpaste handles, but it exceeds their imagination that we are serious about no TP.

I'm curious who you are referring to as "WE" here? Is this meant to apply to those who would consider themselves ultralight packers? Even though I have not, nor will I ever in all likelihood, consider myself in this rank, I'm not really sure I'd want to go without TP. I could make do, if needed, but I don't see how leaving the TP at home accomplishes anything more than creating an unsanitary inconvenience.

#150667 - 05/23/11 12:20 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: MTvagabond]
ringtail Offline

Originally Posted By MTvagabond
Even though I have not, nor will I ever in all likelihood, consider myself in this rank, I'm not really sure I'd want to go without TP. I could make do, if needed, but I don't see how leaving the TP at home accomplishes anything more than creating an unsanitary inconvenience.

In the world today there are more people that use water than use TP. I consider it more sanitary than TP.

I still carry TP and if I am in a hurry or running short of water I use it, but water is better. crazy

#150670 - 05/23/11 01:14 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

And snow is fantastic.. and refreshing..

I think a snowball is nature's perfect tp
Browse my pictures

#150675 - 05/23/11 03:10 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By MTvagabond
Even though I have not, nor will I ever in all likelihood, consider myself in this rank, I'm not really sure I'd want to go without TP. I could make do, if needed, but I don't see how leaving the TP at home accomplishes anything more than creating an unsanitary inconvenience.

In the world today there are more people that use water than use TP. I consider it more sanitary than TP.

I still carry TP and if I am in a hurry or running short of water I use it, but water is better. crazy

I forgot TP on a trip a few months ago, and have never managed to put the baggie back in the kit. Somehow sh%$ happens anyway and I am still healthy and hiking.

Probably because I wash my hands regardless. And allot myself a small bottle of sanitizer, which also has the additional purpose of taking tree sap off gear.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#150678 - 05/23/11 03:34 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

"I think a snowball is nature's perfect tp"

Yeah, and a used snowball would be the snowball-fight equivalent of a "dirty bomb"!

Sorry. grin

#150692 - 05/23/11 08:13 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Actually a snowball (packed snow) is much too hard, just a hand full will do and it cools as it cleans, but it does melt when it contacts warmth...
Jim

#150699 - 05/23/11 10:51 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: Glenn]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
dirty bomb hahahaha

#150700 - 05/23/11 11:17 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
MTvagabond Offline

Loc: Western Montana
I'll have to think about it. Not that I'm against leaving the TP at home just to try it, I'm almost sure I'd never sell my wife on the idea---(she has Ulcerative Colitis, and her morning routine is really more of a solemn ritual that I don't dare ask her to alter too much). I guess if I can make it work myself, it would be easier to ask her to try it.

#150721 - 05/24/11 11:00 AM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: Glenn]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Remember, never ever eat yellow....or brown snow.

#150731 - 05/24/11 01:21 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Offline

So, you're saying there's no such thing as a chocolate snowball, regardless of what Phat tries to tell you? smile

#150733 - 05/24/11 01:59 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: ringtail]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
People tease about cutting off toothpaste handles, but it exceeds their imagination that we are serious about no TP.

--

I still carry TP and if I am in a hurry or running short of water I use it, but water is better.

I'm apparently not creative enough to imagine how you accomplish this without making a mess, and a bit leery to ask for details frown

We have a plant here that has thick, fuzzy, wide leaves, and is very common. I admit to using that when I've found the rare need, but I'll pack TP, and plenty of it, until I better understand this water method.

phat, as far as snow goes, "Refreshing" is not what I'd call a hand full of snow used for that purpose. Even George Costanza would have a whole new level of concern for "Shrinkage" with that one laugh

"You want to go where?"

#150742 - 05/24/11 03:21 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: billstephenson]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
"Stimulating? Invigorating?..."

Snow definitely gets the job done.

#150748 - 05/24/11 04:16 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: oldranger]
ringtail Offline

I do not want to be kinky, but snow is the best.

WARNING: Keep your weight over your skis and do not lean too far back. I will not discuss how I know not to lean too far back. cry cry

#155002 - 09/22/11 08:17 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: TomD]
twinmike Offline

Loc: Holbrook, AZ.
sleeping in the cold snow is not the worst part, its the getting out of the warm bag to take a pee in the morning, oooowe! now thats cold and keep in mind that snow helps keep you warm, its the getting wet. And that TV show he had three other people with supplies and cameras

#155210 - 09/28/11 07:33 PM Re: Recent observation of Light backpackers [Re: wandering_daisy]
rm56 Offline

Loc: Northern CA, Placer co.
Although I'm not ultra light I have improved. I confess I'm a gadget geek, I'm also an old Army ground pounder so I know a bit about going out. Back in the 80s I packpacked Desolation with a Dana pack at around 40pounds just for a weekend. Now I have newer gear, I picked up one of the tarp tents, a Rainshadow 3 person for me and my family that weights 2.65 pounds. I weighed my pack for a weekend to Yosemite and mine was 24 pounds. I have seen the ultra light packs, I have a North Face Terra 65 which does seem heavy to me. But I could lighten my load by leaving some comforts at home. I'm 55 and I like comforts, I also carry a serious first aide/survival kit that I put together. It came in handy when my boy fell and skinned up his knees. I also like to help folks in need..I look at it as Karma. Once in Desolation I had a bad headache, I barely slept that night. Next day a young lady camping near by gave me some Tylenol. Since then I take a just in case kit, and when I'm in the boon docks I share with people in need. Good way to make friends IMO.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum