Usually when I go on a trip I make a spreadsheet so I don't forget anything. I may copy over a spreadsheet I have already made and use that as a base. Of course I always forget something I care about. Since I'm going on a solo trip where I don't expect to see anybody I decided to be a bit more formal about it and made a master gear list that contains everything that I would typically take on a trip, regardless of year. Now when I copy it over instead of adding things to it I have to make a decision to NOT take something. At least it's in my face and I have a better chance.

I tried not to get TOO detailed on it and did things like have "Hiking socks" on there. Which pair I take depends on the time of year but I think it's sufficient to keep it like that. On other things I got a bit more detailed.

I just whacked this together yesterday so I'm still working on it. Tonight I will go downstairs where all my gear is and make sure that everything backpack related is on the list.

In time I am going to be able to just have things on there like "Fire Kit" and then off to the side I'll have what should be in my fire kit.

For your review and critique I'm attaching a screen shot of my current list. I'd love to have your input.