Ewker will have read this same thing on the Hammock Forum. He the one that posted about it being illegal to hang a hammock inside the shelters. He said he got his answers from the Backcountry Office in the Smokies. What I cannot figure out is, why? Why would it be illegal to lounge or sleep in a hammock that is hanging from the beams inside the shelter? I did a random Google image search and this is the first picture I saw that shows a good example of the beams.

Is there anyone on this site that could explain to me why wrapping tree straps around those horizontal beams that are anchored to the stone walls would be bad for the shelters? I understand the 2nd part of the discussions about hanging hammocks near designated campsites over lush vegetation in which a user will trample all over them. I hanged twice in the Smokies and both have been over the same spot that a tent can be pitched. I use tree webbing as well which in theory reduces harm or doesn't harm the barks like rope does wrapped around it tightly.

I'll probably call the Backcountry Office today and ask them about it, I was really hoping to do this on a trip in March when my bestfriend can join me. We was going to stay in a shelter and I wanted to sleep in my hammock hanging from inside the shelter. I'm not really trying to give hammock users a bad name, I'm just trying get some understanding as to why it would be bad to hang underneath the shelter, if I don't want sleep next to random people I can just sleep above them! I know people have done this before, but there is no rules listed anywhere in the Backcountry Regulation about this... Your thought(s)?

Edit: Scroll down on the link and you will see the inside of the shelter. This is a common design along the AT in the Smokies.

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/01/13 10:48 AM)