Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151057 - 06/03/11 01:23 PM New Zealand.
Mudflap Offline

Looking for advice About backpacking in New Zealand. Always thought it was a beautiful place. If anyone knows of an awesome long distance trail to hike I would love to hear about it. Any advice would be helpful as I have never been there before and don't know anything about the place. Hit me.

#151064 - 06/03/11 04:43 PM Re: New Zealand. [Re: Mudflap]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I was there years ago, so don't have any current info. Here are my suggestions-
Buy the Lonely Planet books on NZ including Tramping in NZ. That will give you all the info you need. Don't forget, the seasons are reversed. For the Milford Track, you actually need reservations to stay in the huts.

There are plenty of long distance routes. If you don't do the Milford, the Routebourn is a good one. I did both, also the Copland Pass, which now dangerous because of glacier melt, from what I understand, so I wouldn't recommend it. I also hiked in the Arthur's Pass area, but I don 't recommend it for beginners unless you are with someone who knows the area, the weather there can get really wild in a hurry. Queenstown is kind of like Aspen-a center for all kinds of outdoor sports; Mt. Cook NP is great, good camping and hiking, I did use my tent there for a few days.

Not to scare you, but do yourself a favor and pay attention to the following-

The weather in NZ on the South Island can kill you, so be prepared-good boots (I know people love to hike in trail runners, but I wouldn't down there, at least in the mountains), good rain gear, reliable stove. You don't really need a tent, depending on which tracks you are on because most have huts. Have warm clothes with you at all times. I don't care what other people may tell you, I've read all kinds of BS about hiking there, but I've seen the weather go from a t shirt and shorts sunny day to freezing sleet in a couple of hours. I was there hiking alone most of the time before the days of cel phones, so I always had enough gear to keep me warm.

The North Island has more moderate weathe and there are a lot of great hikes there as well, but other than the top of the island, I didn't hike much there. I hadn't done any camping in years when I went there. It isn't rocket science, but do your homework and you'll be fine.

Also, if you want to drive, they drive on the left. If you aren't comfortable doing that, don't, you'll kill someone, the roads aren't like the roads here. Take the bus or train, they go everywhere.

#151068 - 06/03/11 05:50 PM Re: New Zealand. [Re: TomD]
Mudflap Offline

Excellent Advice. I understand the dangerous weather. Where I am the weather can turn in a heartbeat so I am always prepared for it. Thanks again for the great information!

#151075 - 06/03/11 07:42 PM Re: New Zealand. [Re: Mudflap]
TomD Offline

Don't get me wrong, It's a great place. I lived there on and off for a year in Christchurch, which got hit recently with a big quake. But, you have to be prepared. Kiwis are pretty hardy. You'll see them wandering around in shorts and tee shirts in really cold weather. If you like old school kit, look for one of these-
http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts/SD0116/Mosgiel-100-Wool-Bushshirt.html

There are good gear shops in ChCh if you forget something. Also Dunedin and Auckland. Probably one or more in Queenstown, too. I've got a MacPac sleeping bag I bought in ChCh back when they were made locally instead of China.

One thing be sure to bring are gaiters-tall ones. Mine are just Cordura, made by a local company down there, AlpSports, I think. Trekking poles would be good for river crossings-did a lot of those, but didn't have any. Fell over once (forward) up at Arthur's Pass with about 50 lbs. in my pack. Fortunately it wasn't all that deep, just really, really cold. Keep your boots on by the way, otherwise, you will cut up your feet for certain.

#151105 - 06/04/11 07:14 PM Re: New Zealand. [Re: TomD]
Mudflap Offline

I hope this doesn't make me sound stupid but I am curious; why is it so crucial to bring tall gaiters?

#151167 - 06/06/11 07:24 PM Re: New Zealand. [Re: Mudflap]
TomD Offline

Good question actually. I spent much of my time hiking in shorts or wearing shorts (actually Birdwell surf shorts) over my Capilene long johns. Gaiters will keep you from getting scratched if you are doing any bushwhacking, keep you from tearing up your pants and keep mud off you if the track is wet. Short gaiters might keep rocks out of your shoes, but that is about it. Gaiters will also help prevent tears and cuts if you are wearing crampons and accidentally step on yourself or slip-it can happen.

Edited by TomD (06/06/11 07:26 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum