Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144165 - 12/30/10 08:50 PM What the best choice for camping in the forest?
stonemark Offline

Loc: China
hi, I've been asked a question that, when you are planning an hike in the forest, and must camping in the woods, so what's your choice? Tent,Hammock or just a sleeping bag is ok?

#144167 - 12/30/10 09:06 PM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
A sleeping bag provides you with a way to stay warm. A tent provides you with some protection from bad weather and from bugs.

Hammocks all provide you with a way to sleep above the ground, which many people find more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Hammocks designed for backpacking may also provide some of the protection from weather that a tent provides.

You did not mention tarps, but they also can be used to keep rain off you, or to divert wind away from you.

You can be in the forest in very warm, dry weather and not even need a sleeping bag, a tent or a hammock. The conditions you expect to meet will determine the choice of what gear you must bring.

My own choice is usually a sleeping bag and tent, with a sleeping pad underneath me. But I choose these because of the places where I hike and the weather that I hike in.

#144168 - 12/30/10 09:48 PM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Too many variables. If I'm going solo and it's not too cold and there are a lot of (the right kind of) trees, I like the hammock approach to allow camping away from established sites, and/or to just hike until darkness and stop when two trees are found.

When not a lot of rain or otherwise bad weather is anticipated, a very light bivy and poncho tarp are a light approach that I quite like. Or in winter, a better tarp and beefier bivy sack.

In a dry climate where bugs aren't anticipated, dewfall and rain are rare, it's great to carry just a poncho as backup rain gear and shelter both, but mostly just cowboy camp (as you say "just a sleeping bag".

Otherwise, some sort of tent, and the right tent depends on anticipated conditions too --- by default for me a light single-walled tent, but there are exceptions ...

I just don't see a one-sized fits all. If I could only own one shelter I suppose it would be a light tent.

#144173 - 12/31/10 07:51 AM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
What the others say is correct: when conditions cooperate, in hot, clear, bug-free weather, just a light blanket and plastic groundcloth is plenty.

As a practical matter, I never rely on conditions cooperating. Weather has a nasty habit of changing without warning. So, when I plan for a trip, I always include a sleeping bag and tent. For most trips in a forest, when it's not winter, my tent will be a double-wall tent: the inner tent will have as much mesh as possible, and the outer fly will be waterproof. Unless it's raining, I rarely use the fly; I just pitch the inner tent for protection from bugs.

Single wall tents, hammocks, and tarps also work well; I'm not a fan, but I'm not a detractor, either. My own choice of a tent (MSR Hubba or Carbon Reflex) is strictly a matter of personal preferences (based on how and where I hike), and not objective, quantifiable criteria. There are many other equally valid choices.

#144176 - 12/31/10 11:16 AM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Personally, if I'm in forest, I am usually using my hammock.

Browse my pictures

#144179 - 12/31/10 11:46 AM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
As others have said "It depends". In warmer conditions, a hammock that has a fly to protect against rain, and built in bug netting (if bugs are a problem) can be a really great option. Unfortunately, I don't sleep well in a hammock so it's not an option I can choice. When it cold (say less than 0C/32F) you need more insulation under you then when sleeping on the ground.

So for me, the answer is either a tarp (if there are no bugs), or a tarptent (tarp with bug netting) to keep small biting creatures away.

Remember than you want a pad with with sleeping bag or quilt. The pad not only provides cushioning, but also insulation which is needed as it gets colder.

--Mark

#144180 - 12/31/10 11:46 AM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
lori Offline

If I'm in a forest, I always have a hammock. I stay dry, clean, warm and comfortable under all conditions, provided I have brought the right gear with me.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144197 - 12/31/10 07:26 PM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
Outcasthiker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
The important thing is to get out and camp. How and where are irrelivent.
I use a hammock when camping alone or with the boys. When I go with my wife I use a tent. I have gone with just a bag and carried a tarp incase it rained. If I know it's not going to rain, I don't use the tarp over the hammock or the rainfly over the tent. There is nothing better than sleeping under the stars.

#144201 - 12/31/10 08:25 PM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: stonemark]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
Forest means wood and fire to me.
The choice is so simple for me. To many on the forum I sound like a broken record.
1. A roof over my head, a rectangular tarp. Pitched to match the weather, closed in or open shade.
2.No trace wood fire in a stove with a chimney under the tarp, winter or summer.
I like a full net bivy in the bug season to sleep under the tarp.
I would find no more comfort with an expensive tent and certainly not with a gas stove cooking outside.
The weight of the tarp chimney/stove outfit for 2 people near 5 lbs.

#144329 - 01/03/11 10:48 PM Re: What the best choice for camping in the forest? [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I will define my answer a little. For 3 season (not winter) in trees, I want a hammock. My back thanks me every time. Because I sleep pretty good on snow and my BA air core, I use a bivy and tarp in the snow in a forest.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 340 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum