Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143881 - 12/24/10 03:07 PM Visions of sugar-plums...
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I don't have any gear on my wish-list this year, but I suspect I'll be getting a little something for my outdoor fun time.

But there were quite a few past Christmas Eve's that I did have a wish for gear, and I did find some great stuff under the tree when I woke up.

The first piece of gear I ever wanted for Christmas was a sleeping bag. I must have been around ten or twelve years old and that's all I wanted. My mom thought it was an odd request because we lived in the middle of a big city and there was no place to go camping even close to us. She got me a bag anyway and I slept in it the first few nights I had it, and used it for a blanket the rest of the time I lived with her. Every night I went to sleep thinking of the day when I'd get to go camping.

I was fourteen the first time I got to use it on a real camping trip. By then I live with my father in California and he had a friend that took me with on his annual camping trip to the Sequoia NF that summer. It may sound weird, but I swear, it looked just like what I saw in my dreams...

I hope you all find something special, whatever that may be, under a tree this year...

Merry Christmas!

BTW, if you passed by the Bell Ringers with the Red Kettles you can still make a donation here:

Salvation Army

"You want to go where?"

#143885 - 12/24/10 03:52 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Got a early present, not gear related, mom bought me a new front loading washer and a new dryer too.:) For myself, I found a NOS MSR Firefly stove, just picked it up at the samll Post Office where I live. May take it snow camping New Year's weekend with some other guys in the Lake Tahoe area.

Have been waiting for the kettle to show up, dropped some cash in while at the grocery store. Funny, the local, retired banker from Bank of America was pulling his usual gig, manning the kettle.

#143888 - 12/24/10 04:52 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
dropped some cash in while at the grocery store. ... Funny, the local, retired banker from Bank of America was pulling his usual gig, manning the kettle.

That's is really cool to hear.

My grandmother used to give me money each year to put in the kettles when I was young.

When I got older she told me that when she was a young girl growing up in an orphanage in Iowa the only gifts she got for Christmas were those that the Salvation Army would bring. That was true for almost all the children there. She talked about that until she died at 96 years old.

I passed two up this year while shopping. The first one, I didn't have any cash on me, the second I was driving by in a crowded parking lot. I felt my grandmother leaning on me and decided to check online to see if I could donate.

Whew! Grannie must've been okay with that `cause the pressure's gone and I got out of driving into town this afternoon wink

"You want to go where?"

#143894 - 12/24/10 09:54 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
we lived in the middle of a big city and there was no place to go camping even close to us.
I was fourteen the first time I got to use it on a real camping trip.
It may sound weird, but I swear, it looked just like what I saw in my dreams...

I *totally* did not have you pegged for growing up in the city bill..

Now me I did, but still in semi-northern canada and I got my share of running around the bush with my dad.

Browse my pictures

#143905 - 12/24/10 11:47 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: billstephenson]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

There's no telling what's going to be under the tree for me.

I just pray that my daughter has a safe trip driving in from Dallas (it's raining here).

I don't recall much of my childhood unfortunately. Don't know why. I don't know if I got some of these things for Christmas or birthday or what but my folks did encourage my love of the outdoors. Growing up in the panhandle of Texas, the closest mountains were in New Mexico. We went to Colorado every year for summer vacation and I learned to hike and backpack there. Spent most of my camping time in Palo Duro Canyon and other surrounding canyons.

Over Christmas's I received:
a Coleman Peak 1 external frame backpack (polymer frame).
a Coleman Peak 1 stove (white gas, light weight at the time)
a Sigg Tourist cook kit.
a mummy bag from EMS.

I still have all these items.

#143906 - 12/25/10 12:36 AM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: Tango61]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Tango61:

I, too, have a Coleman Peak 1 pack, covered in patches and all scuffed up. I could NEVER part with that, I don't care what it weighs (and it really isn't that bad.) I still get the lowest visitor on the totem pole to wear it when they visit and want to go hike, just so I can stroll behind them and look at those patches.

On an aside, those sound like some good times in the Palo Duro Canyon and Colorado -- those are the times to remember from your youth.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#143929 - 12/25/10 05:21 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: kevonionia]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
This is hysterical - I am using the Coleman 1 Peak pack with external polymer frame for summer hiking. It was my husbands when he was a kid and it fits me perfectly - though the shoulder harness is wearing out and I'm thinking of having someone make me new ones.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of it =)

[edit]Found some!

Heather

Edited by hhavel (12/25/10 05:32 PM)
Edit Reason: added pics

#143973 - 12/26/10 11:03 AM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: Heather-ak]
billstephenson Offline

That's the same pack I have. I think mine has a metal frame, but I could be wrong.

They had those on sale at the Camp Coleman Outlet Store here for $49.00 last week. The pack is made with different material that is says in waterproof, and it has load adjuster straps on the top of the shoulder harness now.

Mine has a lifetime guarantee, and my first one had a zipper go bad and they replaced it with the newer model with a smile. I like that new one, but my zippers are still working perfectly wink

"You want to go where?"

#143981 - 12/26/10 02:24 PM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My Xmas xtra-special gift this year was a Montbell EX Light down "jacket".

It is called a "jacket" because it has sleeves, meaning it isn't a vest. Any rational person would call it a down sweater. Leaving aside the name, it weighs 5.75 oz in size Large and has an absolutely crazy warmth-to-weight ratio. I never plan to wear it without a windbreaker over it, at the very least.

Anyway, color me happy! laugh

#144072 - 12/28/10 10:26 AM Re: Visions of sugar-plums... [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
it weighs 5.75 oz in size Large and has an absolutely crazy warmth-to-weight ratio.

Nice!

I have a down coat, but it's not a real high quality item. I'm jealous of all you warm fuzzy types wink

I did get a couple nice "Xmas xtra-special" gifts this year too. I got a new pair of Merrell hiking boots and a Columbia "Titanium" lightweight jacket that will make a great layer in cold weather and should be perfect for cool weather.

I too am a very happy camper smile

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum