Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129861 - 03/02/10 09:18 AM Utah Red Rock Region
ddanz27 Offline

Loc: Central Indiana
So, I will be in Southern Utah the first week of July to pretty much explore. Its an area I have always wanted to spend some time in. I know there are way more places/things to see than what I can fit in to 7-10 days, so I need opinions on how to prioritize my time. I would like to seen Zion NP, Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, maybe the Capitol Reef but I dont know where to begin. What to cut out and what to see. Anyone from the area familiar with all the national parks?

#129870 - 03/02/10 10:14 AM Re: Utah Red Rock Region [Re: ddanz27]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
There is more in that country than you can "see" in a lifetime, so don't worry about it. You can't go wrong - you will have a great time, wherever you go.

Take a map of the area. Put it on the wall. Throw a dart at it. Go to the spot where the dart lands. Alternatively, put slips of paper with names of the parks in a hat and draw one or two. Seriously.

Consider going to the websites of the parks and read about the park, paying particular attention to the back country and the types of hiking available. Pick a trip that appeals to you and go for it. Pay close attention to the altitude; Bryce is kind of high if you are prepping for the heat of the Grand Canyon.

So many park visitors try and "see" it all in an impossibly short time; the result is that they experience very little. I actually had a visitor ask me - "We've only got fifteen minutes to spend here (Mesa Verde). What should we see?" I advised him to relax and go have a nice cup of tea. Go deep rather than wide.

Don't overlook Glen Canyon. Of course, it is "only" a National Recreation Area, not a National Park. Well, it should have been a National Park. Trust me, I saw some of that country before the dam was built. Even with the lake, it is still a very fine place. And there are other gems, like Natural Bridges and Rainbow Bridge. The official designation (park, monument, or whatever) has very little to do with the value of the personal experience you might have there. For that matter, the NPS does not have a lock on all the groovy stuff that is rewarding to visit, in Utah or elsewhere in the country.

Visiting the parks, in the final analysis, helps us discover and enhance our personal values, those things that are meaningful and significant to each of us individually. Do a bit of homework. Check the websites and some of the guidebooks (National Geographic has a pretty good series, although they are a bit superficial), and find what appeals to you - geology, birds, solitude, long wilderness treks, history, and pick a likely area and go for it.

I doubt there is a person on this earth who is truly familiar, in any deep, realistic sense, with all the national parks (even in the Utah Red Rocks). I spent sixteen years working, and recreating, in just one national park, not as obviously spectacular as any in Utah, and I never got to know it completely. There is a lot out there.

#129876 - 03/02/10 10:52 AM Re: Utah Red Rock Region [Re: ddanz27]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I've been to these parks and I would have to say that the most impressive is Zion's. Bryce is fascinating to look at, kind of like the surface of mars, and arches has some cool things too. But Zion's just leaves one at a loss for words. The grandeur of the place is incredible. Everyone should see it in real life at some point.

Now Zion's is also very popular, there will be thousands of people there on any given day. It's not a place for solitude. But you should definitely hike the narrows if the weather permits. You'll be hiking through water much of the time but it's very cool to do.

#129890 - 03/02/10 12:58 PM Re: Utah Red Rock Region [Re: oldranger]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By oldranger
There is more in that country than you can "see" in a lifetime, so don't worry about it. You can't go wrong - you will have a great time, wherever you go.

Yep, my sentiments exactly.

#130070 - 03/04/10 02:36 PM Re: Utah Red Rock Region [Re: ddanz27]
Tangohkr Offline

Loc: Arizona
One place I would not miss especially if you like wild and untamed places is the Grand Staircase Escalante. It is beautiful and pretty unspoiled. It is my fave place in Southern Utah. If you are doing the circle (Zion, Bryce, Cap Reef, Manti La Sal and North Rim of the Grand Canyon) you will pass right through it. Grand Staircase Escalante I agree with the others you really can't go wrong. I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum