Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128452 - 02/08/10 10:56 PM Four Season Tent
pupuplader Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Co.
I love the winter and have camped several times with no tent and just laid next to a fire. However, I would like to try to get my girlfriend and brother going with me. They are not nearly crazy enough to go up in the Rockies with no tent during winter.

So I have been looking at some four season tents. Its my birthday Feb 10 so I was able to pull some extra cash in. So I can spent $250.

So far I have been looking at:

Eureka Alpenlite 2XT
GoLite Utopia 2
REI Arete ASL 2

And any money left over will go to a new pack for my girl so the Utopia and Arete have some bonus points there.

I am a little concerned about wind and the Utopia since its only a shelter. During the winter I dont see this as a problem for I can just pile snow on the edges but during summer I am not so sure.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also if any of you have experience with these tents please let me know how you like them.

Devin

#128453 - 02/08/10 11:11 PM Re: Four Season Tent [Re: pupuplader]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By pupuplader

So far I have been looking at:

Eureka Alpenlite 2XT
GoLite Utopia 2
REI Arete ASL 2

I am a little concerned about wind and the Utopia since its only a shelter. During the winter I dont see this as a problem for I can just pile snow on the edges but during summer I am not so sure.

Speaking from experience there's a couple of pieces of advice I could give you..

1) Piling snow around the edges works fine in winter - unless you're bare and exposed where it only blows away (or worse, in..)

2) You said "your girlfriend and your brother" - and all those tents are two person or two+ person. If three of you are going, I'd have a 3+ or 4 person tent, or two twos. When I go out in winter with a generous three person tent with two people it's cramped. you often need room for gear and stuff - particulary if the weather is nasty.

3) You're talking about "in winter.. but in summer" - don't use a four season tent in summer. if they're right to take a snow load in winter, they're heavy, and hot, in the summer. if you don't want it to take a snow load, don't buy a four season tent at all.

4) I hope it's not your girlfriend and brother's first hiking experience - if it is, have mercy on them and take them out in the regular season first before doing the seriously hardcore stuff in winter wink
Browse my pictures

#128454 - 02/08/10 11:56 PM Re: Four Season Tent [Re: phat]
pupuplader Offline

Oops sorry, Its either my brother and me or my girlfriend and me. Our schedules never line up for all three of us to go.

3) Good point, since I would plan on waking up every so often to knock any snow of anyway I dont really think that it needs to take a huge snow load.

4) smile I know, but I want them to come an experience winter with me. We have been many times during the summer. My brother an me have been camping/hiking since we were kids. I have been on five trips in the summer with my girlfriend but she said that winter was out of the question without a tent and nice sleeping bag.

#128457 - 02/09/10 12:22 AM Re: Four Season Tent [Re: pupuplader]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Your girlfriend need more than 5 summer trips experience for a winter trip! You need to take her winter car camping first and teach her how to stay warm and be safe. You can choose weekends with varying weather - one wet-cold, one very cold (below 0deg F), another windy. She needs to learn how to survive and enjoy all these conditions in an environment where she can bail out to a warm car if needed. This also gives you a chance to test the gear. Winter in the Rockies on a backpack trip is not the place to learn this.

#128459 - 02/09/10 12:52 AM Re: Four Season Tent [Re: wandering_daisy]
pupuplader Offline

Yeah, I was planning on doing car camping with her. I dont have a pack that fits her anyway so we cant do any backpack trips yet.

I was planning on doing a couple of nights in the back yard with snow so that if she has any problems its no big deal.

#128473 - 02/09/10 12:45 PM Re: Four Season Tent [Re: pupuplader]
pupuplader Offline

I saw on another forum where some people cliped neting onto the doors of the Utopia 2 so that it was much more comfortable during the summer.

Though that this would be a good way to get a four season to extend into the summer better.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum