Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118801 - 07/27/09 07:57 PM I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem when they come back from an extended trip: after I get home, I feel like I'm starving all the time.

I know it's a function of the tremendous amounts of calories we burn backpacking, and the large amounts we eat to counteract that on the trail. Problem is, when I get back, I find my trail appetite persists for weeks. After my two-week JMT trip 4 1/2 years ago I ballooned from 165 to 210 within the space of three months. I just got back from the High Uintas, and I'm afraid it's going to happen again.

#118807 - 07/27/09 09:25 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Haiwee]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
For me the ravenous after-hike phase only lasts a few days, thank heavens. When I hiked the JMT last year, I lost about ten pounds. Sadly, they returned within two months after I got back. frown

#118810 - 07/27/09 09:59 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Haiwee]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
I haven't been out long enough to experience what you have, but I am familiar with something similar. I've trekked with guys who have had to lose 50-75 lbs in order to go on a trek and they have worked for over a year to lose that weight. Most of them have put that weight back on within a year. I do know one guy that lost 85 lbs and has been able to keep most of it off for over a year. He completely changed his lifestyle and habits and continues to work out on a daily basis.
His motivation - his two sons. He decided he wanted to be around to see them graduate from high school (at least).

So, instead of hiking to burn calories can you develop an exercise plan that is "multipurpose"? You know how we love multipurpose. grin
Keep the weight off AND build cardiovascular for hiking?

Do you have a hike planned in the near future? I always have better success if I have a definite goal.

T

#118814 - 07/27/09 10:44 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Pika]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Pika
For me the ravenous after-hike phase only lasts a few days, thank heavens. When I hiked the JMT last year, I lost about ten pounds. Sadly, they returned within two months after I got back. frown

I had exactly the same experience with exactly the same numbers. frown

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118836 - 07/28/09 03:58 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Haiwee]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, I do too. been on weight watchers since march, I've done three hikes while losing weight. In the last week did the limestone lakes hike I posted which was a bit rugged, and I've spent about 4 days working hard outside building a garage in 40 degree celsius weather. I've been "off the wagon" for a week or so doing heavy labour and hiking. but I've definately noticed the "I wanna eat everything in sight" after getting off the trail and having sore muscles.

Now me, on WW, I eat a ton of fruit and veggies normally. I have found that once off the trail and having those sore muscles for a couple of days, at least for me eating a bit more
protein than normal (I really don't measure, I just say, have an extra helping or two of lean protien) seems to help calm that down a lot for me. In particular, I very often have one egg with a pile of fruit for breakfast - For a couple of days after hiking of heavy labour I have two.

Mind you after the last hike I did I came home and dinner was
a chicken breast and an entire large container of chickpea salad. Man I was a pig, but I still lost two pounds that week! smile

Browse my pictures

#119018 - 08/03/09 05:50 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: phat]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
You're gonna' have to change your name soon....maybe to SkinnE, or something.

Here's my obligatory Bigfoot link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8T45DJjH4

BF cool

#119020 - 08/03/09 07:18 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Tango61]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
So, instead of hiking to burn calories can you develop an exercise plan that is "multipurpose"? You know how we love multipurpose. grin
Keep the weight off AND build cardiovascular for hiking?

That is pretty much how I keep my weight in check. I get at least one hour of aerobic exercise per day at an intensity between 65% and 75% of my maximum heart rate. I alternate days of brisk hill walking and cycling. I also have an exercise routine for my core and upper body; this is done three times a week.

There is a person living in my body that wants to weigh about 250 pounds and to be totally flabby. Only by exercising and watching my diet can I stay at my target 175 pounds and maintain a good level of fitness.

I'm in my early 70's and it gets harder every year.

#119024 - 08/03/09 09:06 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Pika]
phat Offline

I find exercise helps, but I'm one of those people that if I just exercise, I get legs like a tyrannosaur, eat about like one too, and still stay fat smile With me, unless I stop or constrain the eating, forget it. I can exercise for hours and all I do is get more muscular and stay fat.

Browse my pictures

#119027 - 08/03/09 09:30 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: phat]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I'm with Phat, I have to do both to keep the weight down a bit.

Also, I have to laugh every time I hear someone talk about how long it takes to get a trail appetite. Man, I am *starving* from the minute I leave the trailhead. And that does persist for a while after I get home. I have to consciously try to rein in my eating.

Good luck.

#119072 - 08/04/09 11:42 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: kbennett]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
You guys are gonna hate this.

My son just got back from Northern Tier in Minnesota/Ontario (9 day canoe trip) and weighed in this morning at 134lbs.
He left at around 142 lbs and that's down slightly from the end of school.
I swear he's grown another inch and looks like a bean pole.
The eating has begun!

#119073 - 08/04/09 11:55 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: kbennett]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I am starving the minute I get into a vehicle, never mind hiking. smile

#119078 - 08/05/09 08:47 AM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
I've trekked with guys who have had to lose 50-75 lbs in order to go on a trek and they have worked for over a year to lose that weight. Most of them have put that weight back on within a year.

Tim, you must be talking about the "Philmont Dad Club". grin
I get 'dads' doing 'test hikes' back in my park with fully loaded packs and when asked, the answers are always the same...."gotta dump 30 lbs. before we go to Philmont". (those packs must weight 80 lbs.!)

What some of you guys are describing almost sounds like type II diabetes symptoms. One of my hiking pals wears an insulin pump and gains weight just thinking about food, between outings. It's a constant struggle keeping the weight off. It's pretty easy with me...exercise and stay active. I can generally burn off 10 lbs. in a couple weeks if I have to, by simply doing my "half" diet. Only put 1/2 what your brain is telling you to pile on the plate. It actually works.

#119095 - 08/05/09 10:51 PM Re: I'm Afraid I'm Gonna' Get Fat Again [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer

Tim, you must be talking about the "Philmont Dad Club". grin
I get 'dads' doing 'test hikes' back in my park with fully loaded packs and when asked, the answers are always the same...."gotta dump 30 lbs. before we go to Philmont". (those packs must weight 80 lbs.!)

Yeah, but are they dumping 30 lbs out of their pack or their midsection - or is that just a total negative on both counts?

(I like the idea of total negative.. so then my weekend pack now weighs -33 lbs wink wink )

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum