Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179782 - 09/20/13 10:06 AM Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter
Kenny Taylor Offline

Loc: Cullman, Alabama
I just picked up a SOL yesterday and was needing to find a small ditty bag to stow this in to keep things in order while it's in the backpack.

Also, I picked up a Sawyer water squeeze. Still searching for a convenient way to fill this in the field.

Yes I'm new to this, very new. lol

What do you guys use?

Ken

#179783 - 09/20/13 11:25 AM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Ditty bags are easy to find at most outdoors stores. We picked up a pack of three smaller ones at Big5 for under $20...one we use for a NeoAir, one for my wife's down jacket.

The third one sits on the desk in our library, waiting for someone to find a use for it

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#179785 - 09/20/13 12:36 PM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I just stick the bag in the water and let it fill up. Usually there be rushing stream that I can stick it under for a fast fill-up.

#179786 - 09/20/13 12:39 PM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use two methods to fill the Sawyer squeeze. The first is to find a running stream or river. Then just stick the bag in the flow. If the stream is a really low flow, and not deep, then I look for a spot where it runs over something and makes a small waterfall. This is usually the best spot to fill.

If I only have stagnant water, like a lake, then I use a second bag with a wide opening, and then poor it into the fill pouch. For the second bag, I either use a nalgene canteen, or a cheap platypus knockoff (it cost me $1.50) with a cut off top.

#179790 - 09/20/13 01:29 PM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
My work around is to just carry one bladder and a Gatorade or Snapple qt. bottle. If I need to filter water using my ancient First Need, I have something solid to stand up. I guess my pot would do the same function, although I like to keep one "pure" container with no food or oil ever in it.
Duane

#179794 - 09/20/13 02:27 PM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I just started using a Sawyer Squeeze this past summer. Where the water source flowed well the pressure would do an adequate job of filling it. Any spot where water flows over a small drop, like a rock, is a bonus. With slow-flowing or still water I used a plastic cup to dip and pour.

#179798 - 09/20/13 08:16 PM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've never found a need for a ditty bag with the Sol. The canister, canister stand, and stove store inside the pot (there's even a nifty little diagram on the cozy); the snap-on lid keeps everything together. The only other loose pieces are a small dish cloth and a Jetboil spoon. The cloth can either store inside the measuring cup that fits on the bottom of the pot, or can wrap around the canister and store inside the pot. The spoon, collapsed, fits through the slot in the top of the handle, and seems to stay put pretty well. So, I just drop the pot into my pack and let it go at that. If that doesn't work, consider this: using a slightly larger food bag would let you store it inside the food bag; at meal time, you just grab one bag and go.

Like others said, I fill the "dirty" bottle in the stream if it's deep enough and flowing (the "waterfall" idea works best); if it's still water, I take a pint-sized Sawyer bottle, cut the top inch or two off, and use it as a scoop to fill the bottle. If you're partial to hydration systems, you can buy two adapters that screw onto the filter and let you splice it into your drinking hose. That lets you simply fill your bladder from the creek (most are wide-mouth or, like the Platypus, have a zip-open end), reattach the hose, and filter as you drink.

#179801 - 09/21/13 07:15 AM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
Kenny Taylor Offline

Loc: Cullman, Alabama
Thanks for the replies guys. I was not sure how well the Jet Boil stayed together. The lid does seem pretty snug. No use in complicating it. lol.

This Saturday, I hope to make the three hour trip to REI and be fitted for a back pack. It's really premature to buy the one i'm getting now, but at the present time, the overtime is available that supports it and will be gone in a month if I don't do so now. If I don't get now, I'll feel the crunch pretty bad later down the road. I won't hardly feel it at all with this payperiod with 44 hours of OT on this check:-) so I hope to come home with pack, tent and maybe a sleeping system of some sort. I have the stuff picked out by reading tons or reviews, the only thing left to do is put eyes and hands on the stuff to see if those reviews were correct. Looks like i'm going to have to bring my lil 5 year old nephew over to have a excuse to set the tent up in my living room. Lol

Buying gear like this with no practical experience to back it up makes me pretty nervous. I wouldn't dare make such a move with my scuba diving gear. But I guess you gotta learn via experience at some point.

All the best,

Ken

Edited by Kenny Taylor (09/21/13 09:58 AM)

#179803 - 09/21/13 09:21 AM Re: Ditty bag for Jet Boil SOL and ? about filter [Re: Kenny Taylor]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It's kind of a Catch-22: you can't get experience unless you have gear, but you shouldn't get your gear until you have some experience.

Logically, I can see that renting is a way to break they cycle: you can get the experience using gear you aren't stuck with. However, logic doesn't always control: I could never get past the idea that spending $100 on rental gear is $100 I don't have to spend on my own gear.

The route you're choosing, by doing research and then just jumping on in, will work. Just don't get too attached to that first set of gear - as you get the experience, you may end up replacing some or all of it. (When you do replace something, use the spare gear to help get someone else on the trail.)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum