Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179471 - 08/27/13 05:37 PM Trip Leader Troublesome Moments
Bill Tarkuli Offline

I'd like to use this thread to discuss some troublesome moments that have been encountered and how they were dealt with. I'd also like to hear alternative solutions.

I'll start this off with one I went through this week. I told people we were going to have a relaxed pace hike, so they should feel free to stop, take in the scenery, flora and vistas; don't feel rushed. Well, I had a fellow that came out to take pictures. I don't mean a few. I don't mean hundreds. I mean thousands. He had five different cameras, cases, accessories all strapped to his body.

It was a small group of eight, quite manageable, so I thought. I took to the rear and patiently waited while he took photos. After about ten of these multi-minute stops, I was losing patience. It wasn't fair to the group to have to wait for him. Even the slowest of slow hikers greatly outdistanced him. It would be one thing if he couldn't hike faster (stamina, injury or unforeseen circumstances.) Here was someone who demonstrably could keep up the pace, but decided not to. That's a problem.

I politely told him we needed to move along. He took his finger off the camera trigger and moved along. That was good for about 15 minutes, then he started to stop again. I encourage him again.

I'd had enough. It would be midnight to the destination at this rate. So I did what I once did to my dog. I told the group to move ahead. I continued to move ahead keeping my eye on him while he was clicking away. I then gained enough distance that he could not see me. After about five minutes, this fellow is running up the trail! I then stepped out in front of him,said not a word and quickened the pace mach schnell to rejoin the group. I did this three times before he got in the groove.

He did take good photos!

What would you have done? Got any good stories?

Edited by Bill Tarkuli (08/27/13 05:42 PM)

#179473 - 08/27/13 06:21 PM Re: Trip Leader Troublesome Moments [Re: Bill Tarkuli]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It sounds like a communication problem. "Easy pace" and "plenty of time to take photos" can mean vastly different things to different people! I usually am more specific and let everyone know the how much time I anticipate to get to camp, how many miles, elevation gain - specifics. I thought your way of dealing with it was pretty good.

I had enough troublesome moments leading technical climbing trips that I quit doing it. My issue is people who will not stay with the group, even when specifically told to do so. Not such a big issue on a trail, but it is a big issue on a climb, particularly when going through areas prone to rockfall.

The other issue did not even get as far as getting on the trail. We always had strict limits (usually 4 participants (two rope teams of two) and more who wanted to go the slots. So I had to turn down many. Then, without notice, at the last minute two or more would bail. It was too late for the alternates to get ready - basically nixed the trip altogether. It takes a lot of effort and expense (reserved permits cost $)to lead a trip, and then to have it fall apart was discouraging. And I found out a few of the no-shows simply decided they would rather go on another trip - not really that they could not get away from work, etc. Some actually signed up for several overlapping trips and then at the last minute decided which one to go on. Pretty selfish thinking.

I have left people in the parking lot. I make it VERY clear that we LEAVE the cars at a specific time and make the show-up time about half an hour earlier. I have had people show up with cartons of gear, not even started to pack, and then wanted to spend an hour having me tell them exactly what to take.

I had one fellow who showed up very sick and did not tell anyone. An hour up the trail he slowed to a snails pace, then shortly got really sick. We had to set up camp right there. It basically ended the trip since we did not have enough people to have some continue and some to attend to the sick guy. He wanted us to leave him. Not something I would ever do!

#179474 - 08/27/13 09:25 PM Re: Trip Leader Troublesome Moments [Re: Bill Tarkuli]
lori Offline

What kind of group are you talking about here?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum