Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175928 - 03/21/13 09:27 AM Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots
SinanDira Offline

Greetings. So I need a new pair of boots for hiking and my other outdoor activities, and several of the hiking trails we have here in Jordan, Middle East, have major parts of walking in knee-height water.

Considering that, I wonder if I can find any practical boots that will last, dry quickly, and not cause me blisters (I wear thick polyester or acrylic socks).

The market is far more limited over here than you can imagine. The most notable choices I have at hand are the 5.11 Tactical ATAC 8" Coyote combat boots and a few Merrell choices with and without Vibram soles.

Waterproof/breathable membranes are totally out of the question of course.

Taking the specs and reviews into account, I am overall more attracted to the ATAC than to the Merrell hiking boots, which has a body of full grain leather, suede and nylon, an "insulating moisture-wicking" lining (material(s) not specified), and 2 venture points at the inner arches of each boot.

Taking these specs into account, and from your experience with hiking boots, do you think that any of my options stands to my hopes in being practical and durable in in-water use?

According to a few reviews, if I remember correctly, the ATAC can last roughly a year with soldiers. If they can last that long with extensive everyday use, then they should last at least 3 years with me with only 3-4 serious trips a year, and it'd be fantastic if having 5 miles of walking in water in half of them would not decrease the boots' life span below that.

If you guys think that neither option does the job, then please tell me what the solution is! I am asking here if there're any boots made for use on the ground that are suitable for use in water. According to MilitaryMorons.com, the ATB's for example are dedicated for near-water operations and are not recommended for use in dry places.

#175929 - 03/21/13 10:27 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
lori Offline

I would, unless there is something unusual about the water - say, alligators, pirahnas, lots of leeches - not bother with waterproof anything. I'd get a second set of shoes to wear through stretches of water, take off the socks and hiking shoes, wade, put them back on at the other side of the water crossing.

Yeah, a nuisance if there are frequent water crossings.

The other option - just use shoes that fit. Blisters take three things to form - friction, heat, and moisture. If my shoes fit well I don't get blisters even when the other two exist. I have gone on a hike with 10+ water crossings wearing wool socks, non goretex hikers, and waded all the crossings. Most of the water leaves the shoe, unlike goretex shoes, and my wool socks (lightweight) were damp but not uncomfortable. No blisters.

What one needs at the end of the hike is dry socks, tho. Trench foot can set in if your feet are always wet.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175933 - 03/21/13 11:10 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: lori]
SinanDira Offline

Originally Posted By lori
I would, unless there is something unusual about the water - say, alligators, pirahnas, lots of leeches - not bother with waterproof anything. I'd get a second set of shoes to wear through stretches of water, take off the socks and hiking shoes, wade, put them back on at the other side of the water crossing.

Yeah, a nuisance if there are frequent water crossings.

The other option - just use shoes that fit. Blisters take three things to form - friction, heat, and moisture. If my shoes fit well I don't get blisters even when the other two exist. I have gone on a hike with 10+ water crossings wearing wool socks, non goretex hikers, and waded all the crossings. Most of the water leaves the shoe, unlike goretex shoes, and my wool socks (lightweight) were damp but not uncomfortable. No blisters.

What one needs at the end of the hike is dry socks, tho. Trench foot can set in if your feet are always wet.

I'm already aware of this solution, but I am wondering if one can take an entire trip without changing their boots.

Thanks for the feedback about blisters! It's quite useful.

2 other questions remain open. I wonder how approximately it takes the ATAC 8" versus the ordinary midweight hikers to dry, and how both last as well.

From your experience on the long or short run, did you notice water use wearing your shoes out more quickly?

#175935 - 03/21/13 11:57 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
On your link to the ATAC 8" boots, one of the cons was "not water resistant". I think these boots are going to get wet if your in the water every day. The only thing I know that will stay dry no matter what are rubber boots with lug soles(I used to wear these for work); but I wouldn't wear them hiking or backpacking. When I think I am going to have wet boots, I bring lots of wool socks and spend time drying out my boots; pull out the inserts and set 'em up so the wind will blow directly into them. My boots tend to be made out of fast drying materials and I make use of that property. The other option is some sort of winterized boot, but these tend to be kind of warm for non winter use. Leather typically does not like being wet all the time.

#175937 - 03/21/13 12:32 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Welcome!

I wonder whether folks who do what's called "canyoneering" in the American Southwest might be able to help? They navigate a combination of desert-like trails and long stretches of water, even waist-deep, while still needing stout, grippy footwear. IIUC they prefer fast-draining and drying specialty shoes rather than trying to stay dry with waterproof boots.

Something like these.

5-10 Canyoneers

I suppose, depending on water depth, they could be combined with goretex or neoprene socks, or go sockless in the water, or simply rotate regular socks between crossings to have a dry pair in between.

Springtime hiking in the mountains often features a lot of stream and bog crossing, and it can be a bother with the wrong footwear. The worst, in my experience, are shoes/boots that never dry once they're soaked. Better to have breathable, fast-drying shoes.

Good luck!

#175942 - 03/21/13 03:52 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By SinanDira
I'm already aware of this solution, but I am wondering if one can take an entire trip without changing their boots.

Thanks for the feedback about blisters! It's quite useful.

2 other questions remain open. I wonder how approximately it takes the ATAC 8" versus the ordinary midweight hikers to dry, and how both last as well.

From your experience on the long or short run, did you notice water use wearing your shoes out more quickly?

I wear trail running shoes (Inov-8 Roclite 315) which drain well and dry fairly well. I never take off my shoes when I cross creeks. I often walk in the middle of creeks. Wet feet aren't an issue unless you never let them dry at night (or when it's also cold if you don't take other measures). I put my damp socks and shoes on the next morning (can be chilly if you don't warm them in some fashion).

If you are carrying traditional backpacker weights, you may want more of a boot type sole and there are those styles also but not sure how available in your area (Merrell is one brand that should though).

Your socks may wear out a bit quicker from grit that may enter with the water. I stop to empty that every so often if I can tell it is there. If you can feel it, you run the risk of getting a blister there.

#175943 - 03/21/13 03:54 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Or just lightweight trail running shoes, in which I (and many others) just splash through the water and walk until they are dry. In your desert environment, that shouldn't take long! Using merino wool socks helps--they feel dry even when still damp. Airing out your feet at rest stops is always important, too.

#175962 - 03/22/13 10:10 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: OregonMouse]
SinanDira Offline

So the bottom line is that using leather boots is a terribly impractical idea for water crossings, and having them as my primary pair will require an alternative solution for crossing water.

Now amongst the solutions on the list, the ones we have in Jordan and Saudi (whereas I keep on moving between the 2 locations) are Merrell lightweight hikers, and water-resistant hiking sandals from various brands. We don't have any hiking culture or specialized stores over here, these are just stuff brought randomly by Yemeni traders and found in army equipment stores.

Something that concerns me is how non-waterproof midweight hikers compare to lightweight in drainage. If they do not take significantly longer, I might just buy one pair and use it for everything.

But if I am going to have 2 pairs anyway, then as for my primary, I have 2 choices in addition to the ATAC. They with their local prices are:

- The 5.11 ATAC 8" Coyote ($140)
They are of great durability and comfort according to several reviews (last up to 1 year with soldiers and 3 with workers), but are significantly more expensive than my cheapest choice.

- Regular Merrell mid-weight hiking boots ($120)
A small collection of the regular mid-weight hiking boots. Some have Vibram soles.

- Dr. Martens full grain leather boots ($100)
Besides being the cheapest on the list, several users, including my brother, claimed them being extremely comfortable, and full grain leather is a very durable material. They work on pavement without wearing and have a great appearance for my clothing style. However, I wonder about their grip. My use includes walking on dirt, sand, rocks, and climbing trees.

The master factor is which returns the most value for the money.

What do you guys think?

#175964 - 03/22/13 10:48 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If I were you, I would just copy the Bedouins. They have been doing it for thousands of years.

#175965 - 03/22/13 12:30 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
topshot Offline

Originally Posted By SinanDira
So the bottom line is that using leather boots is a terribly impractical idea for water crossings, and having them as my primary pair will require an alternative solution for crossing water.
Correct (if you want to care for your feet better). Yes, soldiers wear them through water but dry feet isn't top priority for them though they are also most likely to have trench foot. Those in wetter climes would often wear jungle boots that have drain holes at least. Dr. Martens are known for comfort but they aren't meant for water either. Very popular with factory workers.

For just hiking, I'd go with the lightest you can get (sandals you mentioned). Not sure whether those would be suitable for your other "outdoor activities" though.

It may be that you get Dr. Martens AND sandals. Not ideal, but could be what will work best for your situation.

#175985 - 03/23/13 06:09 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: topshot]
SinanDira Offline

Back to my last question, as for the best value for money, Dr. Martens definitely has it if it can bypass a few problems. First, I'm not sure about its grip. Secondly, do you guys think that hiking in rocky places (where there are some sharp rocks) could tear the leather?

In that case, I would definitely go with a hiking pair or the ATAC instead, because we have a lot of that terrain here.

As for my personal experience, I have used my Harley full grain leathers for over 5 years in-town and they have a lot of scratches, but have never gotten torn. However, I am not sure how sharp was the worst thing to scratch them in order to make the conclusion.

As for my water-crossing alternative, it'd be very kind of you guys if you could give me an estimate of the lifespan of your water-crossing trail-runners per density of use.

#175991 - 03/24/13 10:35 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
lori Offline

My hiking shoes last about a year. But I put 700 miles on them per year. This year they may last a little longer, as I got a different pair of boots for cross country work in thorns and brambles.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176021 - 03/26/13 04:00 PM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
topshot Offline

It seems most people get 500-800 trail miles per pair of trail runners. If you were only wearing them for crossings, they'd last a LONG time.

#176716 - 04/24/13 03:14 AM Re: Water Resistance: 5.11 ATAC 8" vs. Hiking Boots [Re: SinanDira]
Robotmoose Offline

I'm actually standing in a pair of those 5.11 tactical boots, and they're comfortable, but overall they're a miserable boot. Poor quality leather that tore at the stress points within a few weeks, soft soles that wear down quickly. They're a bear to lace up because of the long tops, and even worse to put on. Finally, they're almost flat-footed, and the toe-box is so broad and unsupportive my toes curl up passively unless I really cinch up the laces, which is still a major bother.

The good things: well they're cheap as chips and comfortable when you take the time to really dial in the laces.
The bottom line is that I won't recommend them for hiking and backpacking.
Hope this helps.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum