Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175734 - 03/13/13 03:49 PM Sequestration
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
How is the budget cut affecting your local park? Check out this story by the Washington Post about Yellowstone: Budget Cut

The story above has great irony, you can find it in the post itself. Here in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, several frontcountry campsites will be closed for the entire 2013 season. Here is the list , it's located towards the bottom of the page.

#175735 - 03/13/13 04:19 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: ETSU Pride]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
doesn't matter the GSMNP is making money off the backpackers by charging them to use the park

#175740 - 03/13/13 07:39 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Ewker]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Any idea how much the park collects from backpackers each year? Any idea how much the park spends on trail maintenance? (I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just honestly don't know the answer to either question. I also have no idea of how much labor and material/tools are donated by volunteer trail maintainers.) Finally, any idea whether the trail maintenance expenditures have increased since they began collecting fees from backpackers?

#175742 - 03/13/13 09:49 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The Mark Twain and Ozark NF probably won't see much change. There aren't many "Lodges" or big fancy campgrounds here. Hard to say how the Buffalo River NP will be affected. I know the campgrounds make money there, and probably more than enough to pay their way, but that doesn't mean they won't be tagged for a budget hit.

Most all of our backpacking trails on NF land are maintained by volunteers, and we don't have a lot of those anyway. I'm sure the more popular day hiking trails are maintained by park employees, but again, there's not really a lot of those on NF or NP land here.

Our Missouri State Dept of Conversation is very well funded. In fact, it's over funded, and that's the land where most of the popular day hiking trails are located.

If I said anymore I'd have to say in the OT forum, so I'll leave it there.

"You want to go where?"

#175744 - 03/13/13 09:59 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Any idea how much the park collects from backpackers each year? Any idea how much the park spends on trail maintenance? (I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just honestly don't know the answer to either question. I also have no idea of how much labor and material/tools are donated by volunteer trail maintainers.) Finally, any idea whether the trail maintenance expenditures have increased since they began collecting fees from backpackers?

This has been a heated debate in this part of the country. It as if there going to be another McCoy vs. Hatfield feud, or Moonshiners vs. Revenuers feud... So heated that a not-for-profit organization has filed a lawsuit against the Great Smoky Mountains National Park...

If my memory is correct, the Smokies has about 70,000 backpackers a year. (At least in that ballpark of some sort) So, at $4 per night per person, you can do the math. The Smokies claim the fee are associated with retrieving the cost of implementing a software system to provide 24/7 access to reserving campsites and securing permit. My question is: how much was the software and what are cost associated with server system? Is it possible for the fee to be temporarily until the cost of system is paid off? In all honesty, I kind of like the software system. I've had to make several phone calls to secure permits... Now, I can just click a few buttons whenever I'm on the internet and have a permit secured.

I've been on the fence by playing the devil's advocate for both side of the situation. I can't seem to find the information I want from the Smokies point of view, and the not-for-profit organization can't seem to take a 23 years old seriously. I make the latter statement because I asked them a question on their website and got deleted..... So how am I suppose to take them seriously when they won't take me seriously? *roll-eyes*

Anyhoo, Glenn, the maintenance is credited to a huge turnout of volunteers. Park Rangers do some of supervisions, but it mainly volunteers that do all of the work. All of the shelters along the AT and the trail itself is maintained by the local AT club. I've been told that the bear cables at all campsites were provided by donation. The Smokies' website has list of trail work somewhere and there been some good turnouts. (I guess Tennessee isn't called the volunteer state for nothing, huh?) Ha! The fee was originally suppose to help aid in trail maintenance, but it's now being said it only for recovery of software system. There has been contradictory from both parties, since the Smokies originally said the fee would increase ranger presence, trail maintenance and the software. Now they are saying it just the software. The lawsuit claims it an entrance fee, which is in the deed stipulation that the Smokies is not allow to charge such fee. Now the lawsuit claims the entire public process was handled in an illegal manner. Good grief, it as if neither side can keep their stories straight.

They just need shut up and go hiking! grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/13/13 10:03 PM)

#175835 - 03/18/13 10:57 AM Re: Sequestration [Re: ETSU Pride]
kievalina Offline

Loc: metro detroit, mi
This has been on my mind lately as I'm not only planning to go to Canyonlands this fall, but will be using the campground there and will be taking the train to get out there... Soooo... I've been worried.

I have been hesitating to get my train tickets. Pretty soon I'll have to bite the bullet and just hope for the best.

I don't know what amount of my taxes goes to the parks, but I'd be willing to bet it's not enough. I'd be willing to chip in a few bucks. smile

Guess time will tell...?

#175839 - 03/18/13 01:31 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: ETSU Pride]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
GATLINBURG, Tenn. (AP) — The Great Smoky Mountains National Park can't open some visitor facilities because of the automatic federal budget cuts.

The 5 percent reductions caused staffing and hiring limitations which affected the park's ability to prepare some facilities for opening.

Park officials announced Tuesday the Look Rock Campground and Picnic Area and the Abrams Creek Campground in Tennessee as well as the Balsam Mountain Campground and Picnic Area and the Tow String Horse Camp in North Carolina will remain closed in 2013.

Smokies Superintendent Dale Ditmanson said the park regrets the inconvenience to visitors, especially those who enjoy the more remote areas..... http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/mar/12...etter_headlines

© 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by Ewker (03/18/13 01:33 PM)

#176087 - 03/29/13 02:56 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Ewker]
Dok Offline

Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Visitor Services Closures:

Restroom Closures to Start Sunday, March 24, 2013
Due to the federal budget sequestration, some restrooms in the park will be closed starting Sunday, March 24, until further notice. Restrooms that remain open are located at: Rockside Station, Canal Visitor Center, Station Road, Brandywine Falls, Boston Store, Lock 29, Happy Days North Lot, Octagon, Ledges, Kendall Lake, Hunt Farm, Ira, and Botzum. Signage is located on bulletin boards throughout the park directing visitors to the open restrooms. We apologize for any inconvenience to visitors. Click here to see a flier with a map of open restrooms and their addresses.

#176090 - 03/29/13 03:10 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: Dok]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I could say a few things, but then I'd have to moderate myself by moving my comments to Off Topic.
lol

So far everyone is resisting getting into politics, so I will, too.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/29/13 03:11 PM)

#176110 - 03/31/13 11:25 AM Re: Sequestration [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I could say a few things, but then I'd have to moderate myself by moving my comments to Off Topic.
lol

So far everyone is resisting getting into politics, so I will, too.

Well, I wasn't trying to get politic with it. I was just curious how it will affect other parks around the country. smile

#176115 - 03/31/13 04:38 PM Re: Sequestration [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what you were doing, and everyone so far has followed suit!
goodjob

Edited by OregonMouse (03/31/13 04:39 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum