Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147242 - 03/02/11 12:17 PM What is on your internet "favorites"
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Since this is an internet forum, I assume most folks venture into other internet sites. Here is my routine when I have access to the internet. What is yours?

First I check the NWS weather - N Cal, Wyo, and locations where my family lives. I am a bit of a weather freak. Love to see what is happening all over.

Second I look at webcams - Yosemite, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Pinedale Wyo. Also read the Yosemite daily report.

If snow is on the ground I then love to check out the NOAA snow cover maps.

Then the CDEC (california)"snow and precipitation" webpage . Check out the snowmelt and river stages. Really like realtime rainfall maps. Also check the Wyoming "Monday morning snow report"

Then Backcountry forum, next Sierra Topix

I stay away from outdoor gear sites unless I am specifically looking to replace an item . Too tempting to buy too much!

#147243 - 03/02/11 12:31 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
First, I check the news headlines, then the stock market indices.

Next is the weather, locally and for the places I frequently hike and work, and where the kids and grandkids live.

Next is this site, then BackpackGearTest.

After that, it just depends on what I need to do - it might be the IRS or other government agency, one or more gear shop or manufacturer's website, the Accountancy Board, eBay, Barnes & Noble, or the AICPA or Ohio Society of CPAs.

#147244 - 03/02/11 01:08 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
At work on breaks, Ebay, Classic Camp Stoves, TT, TLB, my local paper, NOAA, Yosemite webcams. I'll have to add you to my favorites for snow conditions. smile At home, the same, but add High Sierra Topix as I cannot access that at work nor my personal emails. If the weather is bad, I'll access CA road conditions to see how bad the roads are for either my drive home at the end of the week, or my drive on Monday to work.

#147245 - 03/02/11 01:21 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
1)Email. One regular and one throw-away address

2)Facebook

3)Youtube favorites, checking for new vids.

Then in no particular order:

3)This forum

4)Backpacker.com forum

5)A Professional Bicycle Racing forum.

5)Wreckchasing forum. One of my odd hobbies is avaition archeology.

6)Hammockforums.com

7)Local San Gabriel Mountains Forum.

8)Mt. Whitney Forum

9)Backpacker Mag Forum

I'm a lurker in most place and I don't post much.

Every other day or so I also check my banking accounts and investments to make sure no one is 'messin with me.

Come to think of it, I spend way too much time online. blush

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#147248 - 03/02/11 01:56 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Getting a bit antsy living the easy life indoors, so I look here, whiteblaze.net, and forums at backpackinglight.com mostly now to appease my feeling of cabin fever, plus I get the relatively minimal feed from CDT-L and occasionally take a look at Montana through Colorado snow pack stats via sites such as http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Montana/montana.html . Though with the right overlay, Google Earth isn't bad for that and it can show a trail overlay to put the snow sensors in better context.
I also look on occasion at my local outdoor group's site in hopes of finding interesting trips to drag me out of my lethargy.

In terms of things that actually change my hiking process I tend to find the most at the BPL site, but it varies. I'm pretty much past the "obsess on gear for awhile again" phase, and starting in to the "review route options, nail down specific resupply plan & prep boxes, print out maps" phase of prep for my next trip and there's a lot less useful online discussion along that line.

#147254 - 03/02/11 03:33 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Aside from the news on several different sites, which I feel obliged to check daily and then wish I hadn't: sick

Local weather, or the weather at my destination if I'm going somewhere.

The Portland area hiking forum, portlandhikers.org, and the Seattle area hiking forum, nwhikers.net. Portlandhikers is also the forum for the newly organized Trailkeepers of Oregon.

This forum, of course! awesome

Occasionally, the PCT-L and CDT-L, just for the heck of it.

BackpackingLight, although I miss a lot of forum posts because there is so much activity there, and skip a number because I'm not interested in the particular topic.

Practical Backpacking, about every 2-3 weeks at most. I keep thinking I'll quit (I'm not too fond of their policies), but then something interesting comes up.

Washington Trails Association. This plus the two local hiking forums (fora?) keep me up with conservation news. I have more or less retired from activity in conservation organizations (except for the occasional letter), but like to keep current on the issues.

A few blogs, of which my favorites are hikinginfinland.com, Sarbar's trailcooking.com, sectionhiker.com. I do check several others, but only occasionally because the bloggers post infrequently. (I can understand why; most people have busy lives!)

Several church-related sites.

Pinedale Online, local news site for Pinedale, WY, both because I love the place and because seeing pictures of what it's like in winter definitely discourages any temptation to pack up and move there! laugh

I carefully refrain from looking at snotel and hydrologic sites until at least May 1. After last year, when winter (at least in the mountains) started the first day of "spring" and lasted well into June, I don't see much point in checking earlier! The local hiking forums (fora?) provide a good picture of what the snow levels were the previous weekend.

There are a number of other sites I hit when planning a trip, mostly Forest Service websites. Most of the USFS sites aren't updated very often, but at least I can get a phone number to call! It's interesting that both the Mt. Hood NF site and the Columbia Gorge Nat'l Scenic Area site refer their users to portlandhikers.org for trail conditions!

Edit, later: For those seeking interesting backpacking-type blog entries, the Hiking in Finland blog does a "Week in Review" feature in which he links to outdoor blog entries from all over the world. He has also been doing a series of interviews with "cottage" manufacturers, both in the US and abroad.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/11 08:59 PM)

#147256 - 03/02/11 04:07 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
lori Offline

Well, there's this forum. Hammockforums and Whiteblaze, tho I lurk more than post - my setup isn't constantly evolving and I'm no hammock innovator like so many of the hammock in crowd, and Whiteblaze is full of opinions and sound and fury and AT hikers, and not a lot of topics/threads I find the need to participate in.

I just renewed Backpacking light - for the articles. The forum is nuts. They expect you to have a bibliography to back yourself up if you say something they want to disagree with. Not a real friendly place if you do not care about the numbers as much as they do.

Used to visit some other forums that did not moderate well and got tired of the drama.

Backpackgeartest - when I have something to do there. Just uploaded a final report.

A few blogs - four or five total.

The Yosemite forums - some good local stuff on them.

I visit particular trip report sites when I'm researching day hikes or overnights. Lots of great ideas out there.

NOAA, and local news outlets.

Oh, and a lot of job seeker sites, lately. That's pretty much the majority of my surfing with breaks for backpacking stuff to keep me sane.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#147257 - 03/02/11 04:19 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Looks like a number of us love Pinedale. Even a coworker in a different state, loves that place.

#147271 - 03/02/11 07:14 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I am actually a little erratic about getting on the internet as some days don't really allow it time wise. But when I can, here is my pattern.

First is weather sites, NOAA, CDIP coastal wave models and buoyes, White Mountain and anything concerning anywhere I am thinking of going.

Second is stocks and the like.

Third is e-mail. This can suck up some time then all is lost for going further.

Fourth is here.

Then if time allows, HSTopix, Supertopo, and Mountain Project, and various surf industry related forums. (Supertopo Forums are especially good for (juvenile) entertainment, sometimes for beta for me).

#147273 - 03/02/11 07:18 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: hikerduane]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
I start, usually, with Facebook. Then I move on to the Ship of Fools and here (whichever one I have an open question/thread on is where I head first). Then I hit eHarmony. Every few days or so I nose around AlaTrails (more often recently because I'm planning a trip at the end of the month) and Lori's blog. A little less often I see what's hopping at Backpacking Light. I tried Whiteblaze, but quickly decided that if I want that much drama I'll just watch "reality" shows on MTV.

Somewhere in all that I check to make sure my blog post went up as scheduled, and I occasionally take a turn through eBay to see if I can find anything useful.

It sounds like it's a whole lot more than it really is; I rarely spend more than a minute or two on each site, unless I find something interesting.

#147282 - 03/02/11 08:42 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: Barefoot Friar]
snarlywino Offline

My morning routine consists of the following during breakfast:

NWS - just to confirm what I see out the window;)
opencarrywashington.com - I am fairly active on that forum
Here - lurk
hammockforums.net - lurk
fullsizebronco.com - lurk

Then on the bus I pull out my Droid for the following:
Bible - a chapter or two
Facebook

Email is scattered throughout.

Looking for other good hiking and camping resources, I will be sure to check out some of the ones listed above.

~Snarly

#147318 - 03/03/11 01:16 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: snarlywino]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"Looking for other good hiking and camping resources, I will be sure to check out some of the ones listed above."

On BPL recently there was a thread asking folks for their favorite backpacking blogs --- quite a lot of interesting ideas there.

#147319 - 03/03/11 01:27 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: BrianLe]
peacefrog Offline

BrianLe: I sent you a PM two weeks ago about a PCT question. IF you're ignoring me fine, If you didn't know you were sent one, here's a heads up. Thanks!

#147326 - 03/03/11 03:22 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: peacefrog]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"BrianLe: I sent you a PM two weeks ago about a PCT question. IF you're ignoring me fine, If you didn't know you were sent one, here's a heads up. Thanks!"

Whoops! Didn't know I had a PM --- checking now, sorry!

#147327 - 03/03/11 03:50 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Morning process:
After being slapped awake by my son saying, "Daddy I'm poopy", and dealing with that, I put the coffee and kettle on for the kids... (that's coffee for me and hot water for the kids, although some mornings I'm sure I mix them up) I:

• start with my blogger account (checking the stats and seeing if I need to write something soon).
  • Email: read daily email from daily writing tips
  • Drool over the latest sales at theclymb/gossamer gear/golite etc. Thinking of ways to convince my wife to let me buy stuff
  • Then if I have replies from posts/blogs/videos I reply and go to one of the following:
  • backcountryforum.com - active posts
  • http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi - new posts
  • http://www.youtube.com/ recommended videos and new videos from my subscription list
  • Catch up on older shug videos WHOOOOOO BUDDY
  • facebook (shudder)
  • Then its off to research ideas for gear and stoves

Edited by Paulo (03/03/11 03:50 PM)

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#147328 - 03/03/11 07:05 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have four sites I open each morning in my browser at the same time using "Tabs".

NOAA Weather: local, but I hit the hourly forecast and radar pages a lot from there, and I'll see what's going on in other areas I can get too fast if the mood strikes me. Our weather around here can be way different less than 30 miles away sometimes, depending on how the fronts are pushing through.

This Site. This is my personal favorite. I feel I've gotten to know a lot of people here and even when I can't get out in the forest it's nice to come here and see who has gotten out and hear about what others are planning and working on.

BackPacking Arkansas Forums: It's small but growing wink I've yet to meet any of the members yet, but I probably will soon.

Willy & Ethel: my favorite comic strip laugh

Facebook: keep up with family.

I also have some news sites bookmarked, but I haven't been checking them as much lately. No news is good news...

"You want to go where?"

#147449 - 03/06/11 06:35 PM Re: What is on your internet "favorites" [Re: billstephenson]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I usually get onto you tube for some music, and then onto another tab for some e-mail with my 8 brothers & sisters, then another tab for this forum, and maybe Sierra Topix every now and then.
Lately I've been researching trail shoes and exploring Google earth around Mammoth for this summers hike. I mostly enjoy the trail journals here and also the trail video's on you tube. Hopefully I'll eventually get around to posting my own someday.. Not to deviate from this post but something along the lines of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjS3LkuwWz8

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum