Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106634 - 11/18/08 11:57 AM Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Wrist-slap optional? I can't understand while this miserable excuse for a human didn't get prison time. I wonder how long he's been doing this?

Grrrr.

"A Gilroy man was given a hefty fine and probation for what wardens are calling one of the largest cases of poaching "since the market-poaching days of the early 1900s," California Department of Fish and Game officials said Monday.

Peter Ignatius Ciraulo, 42, pleaded no contest in Santa Clara County Superior Court on Nov. 3 to three poaching-related charges for killing and keeping about 335 waterfowl over the course of the 2007-08 hunting season, said Warden Patrick Foy, Department of Fish and Game spokesman in a press release.

As part of his sentence, Ciraulo will be fined $7,105, be placed on two years of probation and be forced to serve 100 hours of community service at a waterfowl conservation group, Foy said. He'll also be banned from hunting for one season, he said.

Ciraulo is believed to have shot the 335 birds across Northern California, Foy said, concentrating mostly in the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys. The birds were found frozen in a freezer at his Gilroy home, he said. All had not been plucked or dressed, Foy said.

"The dead birds included specimens of almost every waterfowl species that migrates into California," Foy said in a press release. The waterfowl found included several protected species such as the tundra swan and sandhill crane, he said.

The possession limit in California is 14 ducks and eight geese, Foy said, well under the 253 ducks and 58 geese Ciraulo had at the time of his arrest.

In addition, Ciraulo had in his possession seven live, wounded snow geese he'd shot, Foy said.

"There was no indication he was trying to sell them and no indication he was trying to eat them," Foy said. "There is no real rationale."

Foy said catching Ciraulo was one of the biggest arrests they'd made since the early 1900s, when poachers would shoot a hundred birds and sell them to local markets. These days, someone shooting twice their limit is considered a big deal, he said.

Foy said the consequences of such a grand-scale level of poaching can be devastating on a local ecosystem.

"If you kill that many birds, you'll see local population declines," he said.

--Sacramento Bee 11.17.08

#106635 - 11/18/08 12:37 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: Rick_D]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I hope a metal health evaluation takes place before the sentence is given.

#106636 - 11/18/08 06:55 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: ringtail]
JAK Offline

He does seem a little crazy. 'm a little crazy myself, just not in that way.

Of course back in the late 1800s everyone was as crazy as that fellow.
5 billion passenger pigeons didn't all just up and fly away.

Here is one of my absolute favourite books. Lots of practical information.Lot's of carnage too though. Lot's and lot's of carnage. Rather like the Germans in WWII he kept very good records.
http://www.prices4antiques.com/books/spo...954-A087236.asp

I suppose we are all still just as crazy, in the unsustainability sense, just in new ways. We are actually getting worse in many ways, such as energy, even though there is less and less to get worse with.

#106637 - 11/18/08 07:31 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: JAK]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
This sentence is ridiculous.The guy deserves a long prison sentence. This kind of light treatment will only encourage poachers, not deter them.

#106638 - 11/18/08 08:21 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: TomD]
JAK Offline

Like fighting global warming with speeding tickets.

#106639 - 11/18/08 09:12 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: Rick_D]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
335 waterfowl, including cranes and swans????? What kind of freezer does this guy have?? Sounds like some serious mental issues are behind this.

#106640 - 11/19/08 11:18 AM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: TomD]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
This sentence is ridiculous.

I think the guy is indeed a bit nuts, and the sentance should've banned him from hunting for life, not just one season. At his age, a hunter ought to have a much stronger sense of responsibility.

#106641 - 11/19/08 01:13 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: Wolfeye]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
I think the guy is indeed a bit nuts, and the sentance should've banned him from hunting for life

Yeah, who knows what species he might decide to start collecting in his freezer next...

#106642 - 11/20/08 08:45 AM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: TomD]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Quote:
This sentence is ridiculous.The guy deserves a long prison sentence. This kind of light treatment will only encourage poachers, not deter them

Not just ridiculous, it's glutinous. I have seen duck hunters in the past kill a pickup load of birds only to show how many they have killed. I myself like duck prepaired with cherry sauce but I can only eat part of one. And I usually get is served at a resturant. A slap on the wrist is criminal in itself. An then to let him serve a function with the fish and game dept. even as a cleanup man is so wrong. Many volunteers would love the opprotunity to work as a volunteer in that capacity. He just may gain some more poching knowledge from the experience.

#106643 - 11/20/08 09:13 AM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: Rick_D]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
The most outrageous part is that he only gets a one year ban on hunting. I am not sure if jail time is appropriate but they could have given a stiffer hunting ban.

I think the Park/Wildlife Dept. and/or the prosecutor had an evidence problem. They probably could not prove that all the specimens were from a single year (even though they would have exceeded 8-10 years of maximum possession limits) and wanted to get this guy to plead out. Are the charges felonies? If the are, then he is paying a price.

And I agree, what kind of freezer does this guy have? Insanity.

Edited by dolomiti (11/20/08 09:17 AM)
you can leave right now.

#106644 - 11/20/08 06:40 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: Dryer]
kutenay Offline

Loc: B.C. Canada
That scumbag reminds me of an immigrant from eastern Europe that we have here in BC/AB who shot dozens of big game animals illegally in both provinces and got minor fines; I was employed with the Alberta Dept. of Environment during part of his rampage.

He is a Vietnam vet and has intimidated quite a number of people and lived as he wished to here in BC, although the Conservation Officers did everything they could. This is typical here as we have Russian and Vietnamese "refugees" poaching our few remaining Fraser River White Sturgeon and immature crabs by the boatload.

If I were in power here, there WOULD be ONE penalty for this type of behaviour and that is a short rope with a sudden stop at the end. I hate people who damage nature and am a stonehard conservationist, this creep is surplus population, IMO.

#106645 - 11/20/08 08:12 PM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: kutenay]
JAK Offline

I also think we have to take a much harder line. Historically, poaching was treated very harshly, but unequally depending on what class you belonged to. Perhaps because of modern democracy we've done way with the class thing, which is good, but perhaps we've been way to lax in terms of crimes against the environment because of some misguided application of democratic principles. I say hang 'em all up by the nuts, or whatever the punishment was years ago, but apply it to all equally of course.

Alot of corporations and corporate executives and major shareholders getting off pretty lightly also. We treat corporations like they are real people, while real people and future generations suffer the consequences. In alot of ways corporations are a way of skirting around democracy. It's like we still have an elite ruling aristocracy. Their just a little more discrete than they used to be. Half the time they probably don't even know who they are themselves, and what damage they have done. The same could probably be said of any one of us.

We need privacy, but we also need more clarity and accountability.
This guys crimes are pretty obvious. Most of ours are not.

#106646 - 11/21/08 05:27 AM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: kutenay]
chaz Offline

Quote:
this creep is surplus population

Agree..

#106647 - 11/21/08 05:30 AM Re: Probation and a fine--that'll learn 'im [Re: JAK]
chaz Offline

Like the ahole auto exects that flew in private jets to try to get a 25 bil. bailout. What a bunch of pompas a ses.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum