I went backpacking yesterday and stayed one night. You can read the report here: http://mtmusings.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/winter-trip-report/

Some things I didn't mention in the report, the temperature was around 18 at its coldest. Elevation of campsite was 3,000 feet with 4 inches of snow in most places. I originally was going climb Mt. Sterling today and check out the view then descend down a very steep trail called Baxter Creek. 4,000 feet of elevation would be lost over 6 miles. Sometimes last night I went down to the creek to get some water and I slipped on the bank covered snow and sort of extended my left knee really hard. It was painful to bend my knee and squat as well getting out my tent. I could feel the pain at night in the sleeping bag. So, because of that I didn't really want to descend 4,000 feet or climb to the summit in fear it would make the ligaments hurt more. It was dishearten, but I think I made a good decision.

Edited by ETSU Pride (12/31/12 03:46 PM)